Summer Season Impressions

Sir Burr

Went to the Freedom Bar for the first time last night. Quite good. The waitresses were attentive, polite and cheerful. Seemed to be quite a few expats in there, and hopefully this will continue, and sustain 'expat local' venues such as this. The Kilkenny was good, although they did run out towards the end of the evening (but a reserve of Tetley's was available!).

Only one criticism, the floor got a bit wet in the large screen TV room around midnight, though I believe this was due to the tears of the Newcastle United supporters present! :)

Monday, May 25, 2009

Phuket weather: high humidity expected to continue

PHUKET: Phuketians have been feeling the heat more than usual over the past few days with humidity high as temperatures reach 33 degrees Celsius or 91.4 Fahrenheit in Phuket.

According to the Southern Meteorological Center (Phuket), the high on the heat index (HI) – the combination of air temperature and relative humidity, which makes it feel hotter than the true temperature – is expected to continue for the next two to three days.

In such conditions, people are advised to be cautious of over exertion, which can lead to heat cramps, heat exhaustion and even heat stroke. spacer.gif– Thanasorn Chookate

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-05-25

Without sounding like a doomsayer I wonder which area will see a major building crash first? My dosh would firmly be on Soi Nanai. Kamala Falls is becoming a new favourite each time I ride past and the top wedding cake above Patong is looking very doubtful as well.

A new dark horse is Nai Thon, I saw a number of places built at a 90 degree angle to the road with no retaining walls or anything. When the inevitable does happen I predict at least 2 level 5 land officials will be transfered to an inactive post. :)

I met up with some friends in Patong. I was at my favourite bar from 6 to 9 in the evening.

Lots of foot-traffic, but, more gawkers than spenders.

The guys I met up with do the late session in Patong and they say it is the quietest low season since the tsunami.

I went to The Lighthouse meeting the other night where everyone I spoke with were reporting downturn in business. More to do with external factors rather than "summer" although all were enjoying the camaraderie along with a few beverages & chipping in to help support some kids at school.

I reported earlier I had to cancel the concrete pour, due to continuous overnight rain, but was too late to do so. However, as the concrete trucks pulled up the rain eased off & then stayed away all day which made this chappy rather happy considering the mostly gloomy economic days.

'where are the farangs'..

Well, we're all still here, aren't we. :)

Not looking at the tourist twns they are not..

Just brought the missus for a holiday in the west.. Shes shocked that so many things are not more expensive..

Just brought the missus for a holiday in the west.. Shes shocked that so many things are not more expensive..

What kind of things and do you mean the UK, or US maybe? I've not been back to UK for a long while so I'm probably very out of touch with prices.

What kind of things and do you mean the UK, or US maybe? I've not been back to UK for a long while so I'm probably very out of touch with prices.

Well apart from the glaringly obvious.. That the merc I am driving probably would struggle to sell for 100k baht, but that we went into a pub, beer not more, had a big pub meal, very nicely prepped for 350 baht, my mothers heating and electric combined comes to less than my electric and water in Th.. Went and got a medium amount of supermarket shopping costing 2250 baht (carrefore or villa would have been equal or more) even tho it incuded mangos and thai centric items with a premium cost. Mobile phones are giveaway pricing (nice samsung on pay as you go for 40 quid +- 2000 baht) PC stuff seems cheaper, my mums (real) 8mbit net connection is 500 baht, brand name clothing which isnt even available there. We went into a garden center and the missus wanted to buy half the stuff to ship home.. 10 solar powered automatic garden lights for 1250b.. real tools for mechanic stuff.. etc etc etc etc

I am not trying to make this some anti Thai rant.. I blew my mums shower up and am waiting on a plumber call out so imagine I am going to get a shock for that in a minute, and I probably picked up some speeding flashes already (that I dont need to pay tho) which would be fines and points.. A cinema trip included 300 baht popcorn and drink (300 baht per seat also).. But all in all, as my frst trip back in 8 years, its emphasizing that the trade offs are not so clear cut that people would have you think, probably helps that its 24 degrees and sunny too for once. I should also point out I dont live very Thai style and Phuket costs me a lot to live how I do, Thailand seems to have a diminishing returns aspect or spiraling costs for smaller incremental upgrades but I have said all that before.

Anyway having typed this I am sure the hammer will fall soon enough..

Anyway having typed this I am sure the hammer will fall soon enough..

The hammer is already on the way down.

It'll strike during next non-high season; Dec, Jan, Feb.

What a nightmare SB:non-high season; Dec, Jan, Feb.

Gerd

Maybe it could be renamed Winter Season?

HI

Sir Burr,,,,, are you Irish??

BTW the Yanks dont know what it is, they cant buy it in USA

It's called smithwicks in the states, same as in Ireland. was just drinking it in Connecticut at the weekend !

Hi

OK there you go i learn something new every day