Laptop In Bkk

Sir_Sanuk

I'm heading out to Bangkok in June for a year and I'm considering taking my laptop. I currently have a standard carry-case, but it makes it very obvious that it is a laptop. As I will be moving around a bit as well I was hoping someone might know of a laptop bag that will protect my laptop from bumps, etc without so obviously telling everyone what I am carrying...any ideas?

Also, I will be looking for an appartment with internet connection. In other peoples' experiences how easy is this? Which Thai internet providers would people recommend? Preferably one that is cheap (either dial-up or ADSL) and is usable by someone who can't read Thai!

Cheers!

I'm heading out to Bangkok in June for a year and I'm considering taking my laptop. I currently have a standard carry-case, but it makes it very obvious that it is a laptop. As I will be moving around a bit as well I was hoping someone might know of a laptop bag that will protect my laptop from bumps, etc without so obviously telling everyone what I am carrying...any ideas?

Also, I will be looking for an appartment with internet connection. In other peoples' experiences how easy is this? Which Thai internet providers would people recommend? Preferably one that is cheap (either dial-up or ADSL) and is usable by someone who can't read Thai!

Cheers!

I ditched that briefcase bag that came with my laptop and got a backpack carrying case. It's much more comfortable, it's got better protection, and others wouldn't know you're lugging your laptop around with you. I carry my laptop around with me all over Bangkok.

I'll defer to others on the internet in the apartment question. I'd just say to make sure you get a direct phone line if you're half-serious about using the internet. This will be quicker, cheaper, and allow you to hopefully get an adsl connection set up.

I bought myself a nice leather briefcase, with shoulder strap, that holds the compu nicely. from the outside it just looks like a plain briefcase, albeit an expensive one. have been carrying it for 4 yrs. no problems. my previous laptop in standard computer case was gone within a week! snatched by a driveby motorcycle. :o still a bit paranoid. walk left side carrying, close to the houseline :D and still carry the scars on my shinbone,when i hit the ground. happened on Sukhumvit, right in front of a police box. :D

Hi Sir Sanuk,

To protect from scratches and light knocks I use a STM Glove on it my laptop.

STMGlove.jpg

I also use a normal backpack (not for a laptop) which I put a thick piece of dense foam on the bottom (about 4cm) and I wrap the lappy (with the glove) a few times in bubble wrap (big bubble type) and stick it in the backpack. Most of the time the base of the backpack is where the hard knocks will come from.

I can also fit my charger and camera in it, but not much else.

...anyway, it dosen't look like your carrying a computer. :o

BaanOz

Edited by BaanOz