Harley Myth Buster

dynabob

^ Hey Dynabob,

Please don't ever take what I say too seriously my man. I certainly never take myself seriously! :)

And there will always be a rivalry between hogs and rice burners. I think it's fun and as I said- I've really nothing against HD, just not the bike for me. Now hook me up with a Buell and I'm all ears!

What I like about the Thai bike scene is that you get a total mix of cruisers, sport bikes and scooters showing up for bike weeks and everyone gets along just fine.

At the end of the day, whatever puts a smile on your face, that's what you should ride.

I still find your tirade against Thai women to be way over the top. Love is like gambling- don't ante up more than you can afford to lose.

Happy Trails!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode pattaya to udon over the mountain 775km in 8 hours,4 stops petrol

Over the mountain?

Please provide the route you took.

Thanks.

Assuming dynabob means the 304. Travelmate is wicked fast- he'd do it in 6 hours with a 1 hour lunch break :)

Over the mountain?

Thanks.

Assuming dynabob means the 304. Travelmate is wicked fast- he'd do it in 6 hours with a 1 hour lunch break :)

Ya! I wanna know why it took him so long. :D

Over the mountain?

Thanks.

Assuming dynabob means the 304. Travelmate is wicked fast- he'd do it in 6 hours with a 1 hour lunch break :D

:):D:D

Over the mountain?

Thanks.

Assuming dynabob means the 304. Travelmate is wicked fast- he'd do it in 6 hours with a 1 hour lunch break :D

Harleys are really fast. Takes me 5,5 hours with my Honda Accord. One fuel stop. :D

A long time harley fan and owner just spend 300k on engine prep his 1450cc. He then tried my stock Honda VTX 1800cc V-twin. Should have seen his eyes when he returned :):D:D

An American bike is meant for american driving styles and american mentality.

Long smooth stretches of road in comfort (as we are lazy bastards)

Relaxed riding positions, with all the comfort of the sofa (as we are lazy bastards)

HD builds bikes like most of Detroit used to build cars. Antique (or vintage for the politically correct) power and drive train coupled with great styling that gets you noticed.

I wonder what the actual sales figures are in the US- Cruisers vs Sport/Sport Touring bikes? I'm guessing sport bikes far outsell cruisers, but I certainly could be wrong.

I hate riding long smooth stretches of road on a bike in the US. Too many cops so you can't speed and riding at the speed limit puts me to sleep! Crossing states like Kansas and Nebraska- Yawn! :)

Relaxed riding positions, with all the comfort of the sofa (as we are lazy bastards)

Says the Yank who rides a VFR 400 :D:D:D

HD builds bikes like most of Detroit used to build cars. Antique (or vintage for the politically correct) power and drive train coupled with great styling that gets you noticed.

Honestly I don't think HD is as badly run as the big 3 US auto makers. By most accounts HD build quality is quite good these days, even if most of their products have that 'vintage' look. I know that I'd take a Harley over a Chrysler ANY DAY! :D

I wonder what the actual sales figures are in the US- Cruisers vs Sport/Sport Touring bikes? I'm guessing sport bikes far outsell cruisers, but I certainly could be wrong.

I hate riding long smooth stretches of road on a bike in the US. Too many cops so you can't speed and riding at the speed limit puts me to sleep! Crossing states like Kansas and Nebraska- Yawn! :)

Says the Yank who rides a VFR 400 :D:D:D

Honestly I don't think HD is as badly run as the big 3 US auto makers. By most accounts HD build quality is quite good these days, even if most of their products have that 'vintage' look. I know that I'd take a Harley over a Chrysler ANY DAY! :D

I agree build quality has greatly improved. I worked at a mine where everyone had some sort of Harley and they all leaked. Mind you this is pre water cooled version. But never have i seen so many bikes leak or run crappy compared to foreign bikes. I do like the looks of some of HD stuff but not all. In my opinion most of these bike would or could be classified as boulivard cruisers. Loud pipes great looks, at 55mph or less. Also these bikes in america make up a huge percentage of the motorcycle sales unlike abroad. The baby boomers with expendable cash or credit dam_n near make up all of the harley owners i know. I dont know one single 30 something who wants a harley. They were raised on sport bikes and supermotards as being cool, gen X and all that.

Back in my home country, there are asssholes everywhere riding around on Harley Davidson (Hardly ridables) and they call themselves OMCG (Outlaw Motor Cycle Gangs). I don't know whats worse the crappy machines or the grubs on the back of them, but their attitudes gernally stink, they ride down the road like they own it, most of them are pidgeon chested weazels or thugs and bullies who are as tuff as all hel_l in a group but turn into mild meek weaklings when travelling solo.

Even if Harley managed to pull a good bike out of the box, I wouldnt ride one because I wouldnt want to be associated with these assssholes.

Harley Davidson MC = Perfectly good boat anchor.

OMCG = :) .

Give me a bicycle over a harley anyday :D

I don't know whats worse the crappy machines or the grubs on the back of them, but their attitudes gernally stink, they ride down the road like they own it,

Reminds me of a time, coupla years back. Whilst riding a Ninja ZX6R on the Bangna-Trad rd en route to Chonburi. I came across a convoy of Harleys. Not hard to catch as they were bimbiling along about 80km/h.

Anyhooter I needed to enter their group to pass a couple of manky smoke belching heavy trucks. They actually closed the gap on me, preventing myself from entering the bit of road they are currently riding on.

So with a flick of a finger and a twist of the wrist, I was at the front of the pack. Got bored of them in an instance. Breathed on my throttle, and I dissappeared over the horizon. :)

I agree build quality has greatly improved. I worked at a mine where everyone had some sort of Harley and they all leaked. Mind you this is pre water cooled version. But never have i seen so many bikes leak or run crappy compared to foreign bikes. I do like the looks of some of HD stuff but not all. In my opinion most of these bike would or could be classified as boulivard cruisers. Loud pipes great looks, at 55mph or less. Also these bikes in america make up a huge percentage of the motorcycle sales unlike abroad. The baby boomers with expendable cash or credit dam_n near make up all of the harley owners i know. I dont know one single 30 something who wants a harley. They were raised on sport bikes and supermotards as being cool, gen X and all that.

Hmm, last time I checked, I was 30 something and I just spent a $hitload on a Harley. I was raised on sports bikes, custom bikes, motoX, all that, but doesnt mean I dont like Harleys. yet again someone trying to categorise different people for different bikes. Just ride em, that is all that counts. The rest is just bullshit.

Edited by saorsa

Hmm, last time I checked, I was 30 something and I just spent a $hitload on a Harley. I was raised on sports bikes, custom bikes, motoX, all that, but doesnt mean I dont like Harleys. yet again someone trying to categorise different people for different bikes. Just ride em, that is all that counts. The rest is just bullshit.

Well i have to admit i now know of 1 person under the age of 50 that openly admits to being a HD enthusiast.

We all have to have to express our opinions otherwise we would have nothing to do but sit around and do useful things like cure cancer...

Edited by wrathfultalon

I have ridden bikes all my life, mostly rice rockets. One day the annual Ca Love Ride was due, and I went out and

bought an almost new, custom Fat Boy. Had a ball. Zillions of hogs & LA heavies. My next bike was one an Arlen Ness

masterpiece. I have enjoyed every hog, like every lover, ever since.

Once that big V-twin gets into your veins, thats it. No contest. That Evolution motor simply pumps torque.

I even like a belt - a supercharger belt. I do prefer chain at the rear, with an open primary.

BR>Jack

I just like bikes, I took a GPZ600R from scotland down to greek islands, toured UK two up on a harley, have done loads of rallies on a ratty XTZ750 which had scaff tubes for exhausts and no seat. Who cares what you ride, just put the miles on and have fun.

However, now that I bought my first bike in thailand (a night train harley) i will happily admit i bought the wrong bike for central BKK. It is just too heavy for cutting about the traffic easily, it gets really hot from the oil tank and with the amount of cash i paid for it, I am too scared of having a smack to really play with the cars agressively. Time to buy a supermoto for in town and keep the harley for longer trips out of BKK i think.

Here's your answer: a couple of shots to show my highway cruiser and my flippin'-thru-traffic town bike :)

post-78865-1246595640_thumb.jpg

post-78865-1246595691_thumb.jpg

Old man's bike,bad handeling, much to heavy,slow,all noise,these are some of the excuse's used by people who want to but can not carry a HD key ring with key.

This HARLEY is 310kg dry weight,250kg=1/4 of a ton.

Belt drive.

Front end speak's for it's self.Enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k292Mil

Harley Davidson = Russian prostitue ~ Overpriced, Fat & Ugly ~ Riden both :) didn't enjoy either :D

I don't know whats worse the crappy machines or the grubs on the back of them, but their attitudes gernally stink, they ride down the road like they own it,

Reminds me of a time, coupla years back. Whilst riding a Ninja ZX6R on the Bangna-Trad rd en route to Chonburi. I came across a convoy of Harleys. Not hard to catch as they were bimbiling along about 80km/h.

Anyhooter I needed to enter their group to pass a couple of manky smoke belching heavy trucks. They actually closed the gap on me, preventing myself from entering the bit of road they are currently riding on.

So with a flick of a finger and a twist of the wrist, I was at the front of the pack. Got bored of them in an instance. Breathed on my throttle, and I dissappeared over the horizon. :D

Gotta luv that story & having experience similar things in the past, you bring back memories and make me laugh.

Once I was being tailed along the highway by a group of tough guy wannabes & I was on my first R1, anyway, when it was clear ahead, it gave it a wristful (as you do) & disappeared down the road to the next town. Stopping at the servo to get a drink, I was admiring a group of young lasses there when these grubs pulled in on the SLUGS to feed the thirsty HOG. Anyway one of them walks over to me & asks me if I was the guy from down the Hwy. I just stared at him & he then went on to tell me that when I opened it up & overtook the cars, I showered him and his mates in rocks and rubber :D . I didnt say a word, just kept staring at his beady little eyes and he waddled back over to his mates who all stared in my direction. My eyes were glassy, my face motionless....INSIDE I WAS DANCING LIKE A BANJO MONKEY :) . Som Nom Na :D .

YAMAHA POWER!

Edited by neverdie

I've just come home and as always check into this forum, and I have to say I'm getting pissed off with the <deleted> mud slinging. slugs you say tough guy wannabesyou say because they ride a Harley??????

I'm no tough guy wannabe, just an ex para and I never slag anyone off because of what they ride, so can you show some fuc_kin respect

Back in my home country, there are asssholes everywhere riding around on Harley Davidson (Hardly ridables) and they call themselves OMCG (Outlaw Motor Cycle Gangs). I don't know whats worse the crappy machines or the grubs on the back of them, but their attitudes gernally stink, they ride down the road like they own it, most of them are pidgeon chested weazels or thugs and bullies who are as tuff as all hel_l in a group but turn into mild meek weaklings when travelling solo.

Even if Harley managed to pull a good bike out of the box, I wouldnt ride one because I wouldnt want to be associated with these assssholes.

OMCG = :) .

Why don't you express your opinion to the rider's that offend you,hopefully you will get a result.

My 2 satang-

YamHDAss.jpg

Ride On! :D:D:D

Sorry Fatbastard, this is about the best I can do, quote tony's post :D .

I will also acknowledge that there are probably some very lovely misguided riders on this planet, that travelled the harley route & are too blind to see it. Maybe ur one of them?? :D Have a good day. :D

I guess you can't hang labels on all people, can u :)

OMCG = :D .

Why don't you express your opinion to the rider's that offend you,hopefully you will get a result.

Yes dynabob, I use to do that for a living & got some excellant results. Some of em are still staring at the outside from behind bars :) .

Well neverdie .As i am leaving thailand,i have sold my HD and am renting a africa twin,stopped in surat thani last night on way back to patong from sumai,rainning hard,out side hotel were a few back packer's,aus by the sound,i was wearing my colours,"MANGMOON,THAILAND"we are a small club,like to ride ,drink and party,we are on very good term's and do not get involved,in shit.

I could see some of aussies were a little surprised to see a big trial bike and giving it the once over,not one word was spoken not only to me but between themselve's.

Next morning we met again at the bike,me being irish with a good night's sleep,big hello and got little responce,which surprised me as i could see some of the lad's were into the bike

Imay be wrong,IMHO THE AUSSIE PATCH CLUBS,are among the most violent dangerious,evil,with no regard for human life,this had to be the reason,i could feel the tension outside hotel.

Over the years here and inireland i had peopll from all walk's of life ask about my ride followed by a great conversation.

If this is the result of aussie M.C club's on general public,lock them all up.

Well neverdie .As i am leaving thailand,i have sold my HD and am renting a africa twin,stopped in surat thani last night on way back to patong from sumai,rainning hard,out side hotel were a few back packer's,aus by the sound,i was wearing my colours,"MANGMOON,THAILAND"we are a small club,like to ride ,drink and party,we are on very good term's and do not get involved,in shit.

I could see some of aussies were a little surprised to see a big trial bike and giving it the once over,not one word was spoken not only to me but between themselve's.

Next morning we met again at the bike,me being irish with a good night's sleep,big hello and got little responce,which surprised me as i could see some of the lad's were into the bike

Imay be wrong,IMHO THE AUSSIE PATCH CLUBS,are among the most violent dangerious,evil,with no regard for human life,this had to be the reason,i could feel the tension outside hotel.

Over the years here and inireland i had peopll from all walk's of life ask about my ride followed by a great conversation.

If this is the result of aussie M.C club's on general public,lock them all up.

dynabob, You are right about the OMCG clubs in Oz, they are pathetic cowards & bullies. I am FULLY AWARE that there are plenty of decent people riding these 'instruments of pain' around the place. My comments previously were inappropriate but come after 2 decades of dealing with shiiitheads riding these things.

Anyway, who am i to comment on ur ride, i presently get around on a scooter :D ....I'm not concerned with image..

Keep it upright & keep smiling :)

Harley owns BUELL. Check out Buell bikes on you tube... Chris

A few years ago, I threw my leg over a Buell & made special note, never to do it again. Tractor in a sports frame.

Are they ?? I have never ridden one but sat on an XB9S lightning the other day at a motorshow.. Have to say it made me want to have a blast, good size and position, love the look, only concerned about a twin and the weight (tho that left a kind of solid feel I kinda liked)..

^ Well, I guess even the worst bike manufacturers can make improvement with their new models, in fact I guess they have the most room to cover & can easily look elsewhere for ideas. I havent ridden a Buell in the last couple of years, so who knows, they may even be up to the standard set by Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha in the early 80ies. :)