Taco Valley On Pattaya Klang, What's The Buzz?!?

Jingthing

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Pattaya for a couple of days the end of last month and Taco Valley on Pattaya Klang was open. Some one said the food did not look good. Pre cooked like Thai food.

Barry

OMG, if that is really the case, then never mind!

A few days ago whizzing by in a baht bus it didn't appear to be anywhere near open, but like I said, I passed it on a bus. I will have a closer look soon, any other reports?

On the other hand, precooked for burrito or taco stuffings is OK for some of the ingredients and actually very standard for taquerias, for example rice, beans, carnitas, but not good for carne asada. Of course it helps if the place is high volume so stuff doesn't sit too long. So I will still reserve judgment and keep a little hope alive. Si se puede!

Edited by Jingthing

One place I would like to recommend for good Tex-Mex is the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang.

This bar is owned by a good old boy from South Texas (Victoria) and he knows how to prepare good Mexican food. The owner is in the hospital at the present time but I verified with his brother the bar is still serving the good food. That's the reason I didn't mention it yesterday.

If you want to take a little drive, run over to Ban Chang and try it out. The enchilladas are delicious.

Beaver Bar is located on the Street of Dreams. Turn left at the first traffic light when you enter Ban Chang, coming from Utapao Airport. It's about 1 kilometer up that street, where all the bars are.

Egg (or whatever) on my face!

:)

The hope is gone for this place.

I had a look at Taco Valley.

I didn't even bother going in the door.

Yes it is quite open.

They have a picture menu upfront.

There were about four items, with two choices of meat: "beef" and "chicken" ... how authentic. Maybe there was "pork" but I didn't notice it. No real Mexican style meats like carnitas or carne asada or anything really.

The KOREAN owner comes out and informs me there is no chicken and no beans to offer. I didn't memorize the four items, but I think a taco, a "burrito", a quesadilla, and something else. The menu claims it is a chain serving a type of Korean style Mexican food, which in my view is something the world can happily do without. The prices were in the 100 baht range for rather small items, but the price wasn't important to me as I wasn't interested. The pictures looked like nothing I want to eat, it didn't look like good Mexican food to me. I reckon it is a Korean concept of Taco Bell, so maybe, just maybe Taco Bell fans would like it. Myself, no interest in ever trying it. Don't get me wrong, I love Korean food.

The guy behind this new place is probably a nice guy, but sorry, I don't predict they will make it. What is the market for Korean style Mexican food in Thailand, not to mention what's up with NO BEANS with such a tiny menu?

Anyway, the quest goes on ...

Edited by Jingthing

Egg (or whatever) on my face!

:)

The hope is gone for this place.

I had a look at Taco Valley.

I didn't even bother going in the door.

Yes it is quite open.

They have a picture menu upfront.

There were about four items, with two choices of meat: "beef" and "chicken" ... how authentic. Maybe there was "pork" but I didn't notice it. No real Mexican style meats like carnitas or carne asada or anything really.

The KOREAN owner comes out and informs me there is no chicken and no beans to offer. I didn't memorize the four items, but I think a taco, a "burrito", a quesadilla, and something else. The menu claims it is a chain serving a type of Korean style Mexican food, which in my view is something the world can happily do without. The prices were in the 100 baht range for rather small items, but the price wasn't important to me as I wasn't interested. The pictures looked like nothing I want to eat, it didn't look like good Mexican food to me. I reckon it is a Korean concept of Taco Bell, so maybe, just maybe Taco Bell fans would like it. Myself, no interest in ever trying it. Don't get me wrong, I love Korean food.

The guy behind this new place is probably a nice guy, but sorry, I don't predict they will make it. What is the market for Korean style Mexican food in Thailand, not to mention what's up with NO BEANS with such a tiny menu?

Anyway, the quest goes on ...

Geez, whadda roller coaster of a post:

Egg on your face- huevos rancheros en su cara; not open- yes open; one of the world's classic cuisines- all the food there's rubbish; Korean/Mexican food- wierd/unappetizing menu photos; high hopes- dashed hopes...

Whoa, somebody stop the madness...!

Edited by Michaelaway

The Beefeater Restaurant in the KISS food plaza on second road, across from Mike's Department Store has some decent tacos.

I have not tried anything else on their menu but friends tell me their other food is tasty as well.

Too bad about Taco Valley. But you shouldn't think that a Korean-Mexican fusion restaurant wouldn't work. One of the hottest roach coaches in L.A. is Kogi's BBQ, with its famous Korean burritos. Kogi BBQ

I accept that but you got the WRONG impression if you think they are offering Korean Mex fusion. Sorry if I gave that impression, it can see how you got it. Rather than Kor-Mex fusion, it appears they offering a Korean COPY of Taco Bell. I don't like Taco Bell, so I certainly don't want a knock off version, thank you very much. I really could tell from the pictures that their food was nothing like what someone hoping for real taqueria food would enjoy. For those that do like Taco Bell, please try it if you like and let the other Bell fans know what you think.

BTW, as their food isn't really Korean (its just that the chain comes from Korea), I don't think they are doing themselves any favors by announcing it is "Korean stlye Mexican food." It is a Taco Bell copy from Korea. I think they have a much greater chance of success if they pushed that Taco Bell-osity rather than the irrelevant Korean connection, as many people apparently want a Taco Bell here.

BTW, I have an excellent track record of predicting Pattaya restaurant failures. Not 100 percent but pretty high. No beans when you have four Mexican items on a tiny menu, not a good omen. Its a very competitive market here. Now TR on the other hand, it won't fail, its those margaritas!

Edited by Jingthing

Too bad about Taco Valley. But you shouldn't think that a Korean-Mexican fusion restaurant wouldn't work. One of the hottest roach coaches in L.A. is Kogi's BBQ, with its famous Korean burritos. Kogi BBQ

I accept that but you got the WRONG impression if you think they are offering Korean Mex fusion. Sorry if I gave that impression, it can see how you got it. Rather than Kor-Mex fusion, it appears they offering a Korean COPY of Taco Bell. I don't like Taco Bell, so I certainly don't want a knock off version, thank you very much. I really could tell from the pictures that their food was nothing like what someone hoping for real taqueria food would enjoy. For those that do like Taco Bell, please try it if you like and let the other Bell fans know what you think.

BTW, as their food isn't really Korean (its just that the chain comes from Korea), I don't think they are doing themselves any favors by announcing it is "Korean stlye Mexican food." It is a Taco Bell copy from Korea. I think they have a much greater chance of success if they pushed that Taco Bell-osity rather than the irrelevant Korean connection, as many people apparently want a Taco Bell here.

BTW, I have an excellent track record of predicting Pattaya restaurant failures. Not 100 percent but pretty high. No beans when you have four Mexican items on a tiny menu, not a good omen. Its a very competitive market here. Now TR on the other hand, it won't fail, its those ___margaritas!

where can we buy the margarita mix - looked in many places but no luck so far

Cilantro- A key spice used in pretty much all of the real stuff is just not available here. I have a bit of dried cilantro for personal use but without it, you never get the taste of the street food you get in Mexico.

I think you must be confusing cilantro with something else............cilantro is very common in Thailand.

Cumin is not so easy to find in Thai markets (yes, it is in places like Foodland)........same for Mexican oregano and all of the authentic Mexican peppers........and masa.

so... has anyone of you knuckleheads eaten at Taco Valley yet? someone needs to be the guinea pig and well, i'm tied up right now :)

Knuckleheads? Guess you mean posters who post off topic posts.........sorry. Taco Valley? Strange name.................never eaten there.

Actually you are wrong. Mexicans do eat Yank Mexican. Go to the better San Francisco Mission district burrito joints and most of the customers are Mexicans. Those kind of burritos are not available in Mexico. Similarly in New Mexico, they have their own style of Mexican food not available in Mexico. Mexicans love it!

Yes the options are limited in PATTAYA. That's why I posted about this new place. Hoping for better as Bangkok and CM does have already.

And I agree, the best Mexican food is NOT available in Mexico. It's the variations and derivatives available OUTSIDE Mexico that we all like. I liken Mexican cuisine in Mexico to Filipino cuisine anywhere... pretty grim IMHO.

So here's hoping this new place gets something right!

Just read page 2... Mexican food Korean-style. Pass!

I guess the OP needs to front up to the Beaver Bar in Ban Chang then. If the flavor isn't quite right or the portions too large, there's always the beaver...

Edited by NanLaew