Thai Visa

My wife and I are flying out to Thailand at end of the year. To spend a 52 day holiday with our son and family, who lives in Bangkok. We are hoping to visit some resorts. Could anyone tell me if I need different visa from the 30 day one that you get on entry.

I have been reading some Web sites, that say the Thai goverment has relaxed the restrictions on pensioners 55+ to 1 year. Dose anybody know whether this is a fact.

I have been reading some Web sites, that say the Thai goverment has relaxed the restrictions on pensioners 55+ to 1 year. Dose anybody know whether this is a fact.

Those who are 50+ can be granted stays of up to one year at a time.........however said stays are subject to meeting certain criteria financial/medical etc. In your case as already has been posted you both simply need a single entry tourist visa (good for 60 days) apply within the last 30 days before you intend to fly.........you/ll have your passport back from the Thai Embassy/Consulate within 5 days max of posting.

Easiest way is just to get a Tourist visa from your local Thai embassy. It can be done by post. within a week.

A tourist visa is valid for 60 days.

The 30 day visa is for those that arrive without a visa, and is called a Transit visa.

You have no need for any other kind so its pretty straight forward.

Easiest way is just to get a Tourist visa from your local Thai embassy. It can be done by post. within a week.

A tourist visa is valid for 60 days.

The 30 day visa is for those that arrive without a visa, and is called a Transit visa.

You have no need for any other kind so its pretty straight forward.

A tourist visa is valid for 90 days and allows a stay of 60 days at the time of entry into Thailand and this can be extended 30 days with payment of fee.

If you arrive without a visa it is called a 30 day entry without visa and there is no cost but you are required to have onward transportation within those 30 days. This is not called a transit visa.

So, Lopburi the visa is not valid for 90 days upon issue is it. It is valid for 60 days from your entry to thailand. This is the mian point as the poster says he wishes to say for 52 days. The visa can be extended as you say.

You are correct about the onward travel required for arriving without a visa, though this is rarely checked at the Thai immigration point but rather at check-in counters at the departure end. I was turned away from check-in upon my first departure to Thailand for not meeting this requirement.

However, the 30 day visa on entry is called Transit Visa. Check the wall in Immigration Dept. Suan Plu.

A tourist visa is valid for 90 days as issued - although your stay stamp will only be 60 days when you enter Thailand you have 90 days to do so (and that is the visa validity period).

There is a transit visa valid for 30 days that you pay for like any other visa and is issued by a Consulate. What most of us receive free of charge on entry is a 30 day permission to stay without visa.

Check this site out (when the server is back up) for a listing of visa types:

MFA Web Site

And this is the official immigration web site definition of Transit Visa:

TRANSIT VISA

Transit visas are issued to foreigners passing through Thailand. Application procedures are the same as for tourist visas, but the period of stay and visa fees differ. On arrival, holders of transit visas are admitted for 30 days in the kingdom and the stay may be extended by another 30 days (as with tourist visas, citizens of Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Iran, Nigeria, Togo, and Uganda are granted extensions of only 7 days). If there are strong reasons, long term extensions can be obtained as for tourist visas, but application for a work permit is not possible. Transit visas may be changed to non-immigrant visas if need arises.

Edited by lopburi3