Moving Pension From My Uk Bank To Thailand

Hi can anybody give me some ideas how to move monies on a monthly basis from my uk bank account to thai bank account .I live in thailand but my bank in the uk will not allow me to do this by internet banking. If anybody has ideas how much does it cost to send say 1000gbp a month

Hi can anybody give me some ideas how to move monies on a monthly basis from my uk bank account to thai bank account .I live in thailand but my bank in the uk will not allow me to do this by internet banking. If anybody has ideas how much does it cost to send say 1000gbp a month

What's the reason for not allowing you to transfer money? Maybe you should consider changing bank..

Sorry, not much help from me. Was just wondering what kind of bank wouldn't allow you to do what you want with your own money :)

No way will any UK bank allow you to transfer by internet. You have to go to the bank in person with the usual relevant ID documents and set up an International Standing Order. If you use CHAPS (advisable) it will cost £27. I send mine bi-monthly to save 6 x £27 per year which I think is worth it. You will probably need documentation from the Thai bank as well.

If you have a visa debit card you can go to the exchange booth of Bangkok Bank and withdraw up to the amount in your account with no charge, I draw £1000 this way every month, all I take is my passport and my Nationwide Debit Card and tell them how much I want in baht. No charges and the rate is converted in UK and I always get a better rate than that posted in the bank. N/W will not do a swift transfer unless you are present in the branch, however I have in the past been able to do a swift transfer with Abbey by faxing a copy of my passport & driving licence to them with the swift transfer form but it cost me £20. It was arranged by telephone and then I faxed the paperwork.

No way will any UK bank allow you to transfer by internet. You have to go to the bank in person with the usual relevant ID documents and set up an International Standing Order. If you use CHAPS (advisable) it will cost £27. I send mine bi-monthly to save 6 x £27 per year which I think is worth it. You will probably need documentation from the Thai bank as well.

CHANGE BANKS. Sound like you have Barclays, who are not easy to deal with.

I have Halifax (HBOS) and set up my INTERNATIONAL TT transfer from here. Then I can transfer money on-line for a mere £9.50 per transaction, no matter the amount.

One point of advice. If you already have a Halifax account you want do it from here, they will send an OTP (One Time Password) to your registered Home or MOBILE number to confirm the transaction. You key the number into your phone and the internet connection updates.

Therefore, if registered to a UK number, either have Roaming (which I have) or change the number to your Thai number (which is allowed)

AMDT: Remember to set up as a STERLING transfer, as local currency is default. This way you get a better exchange rate (onshore) than at home (offshore).

Also ask your bank for their SWIFT CODE before trying to set up the transfer. No other infomation or paperwork is needed. Just your full bank account number and the EXACT name in your That Bank Passbook.

Quickest I had for £5,000 was 5 hours from hitting the confirm button. That was the luck of the draw, and the next one was a day later.

Edited by grahamhc

I have Halifax (HBOS) and set up my INTERNATIONAL TT transfer from here. Then I can transfer money on-line for a mere £9.50 per transaction, no matter the amount. .......

Quickest I had for £5,000 was 5 hours from hitting the confirm button. That was the luck of the draw, and the next one was a day later.

----------

nope, it certainly was NOT the luck of the draw.... as you perceived..... lol

rather, it was the timing.... the time that was setup by the bank..... whatever time schedule it was setup to do the SWIFT....

if and when your swift order comes to that dept before the subsequent swift.... your mighty pounds will be swifted, the swiftest.... lol

Edited by nakachalet

I have Halifax (HBOS) and set up my INTERNATIONAL TT transfer from here. Then I can transfer money on-line for a mere £9.50 per transaction, no matter the amount.

One point of advice. If you already have a Halifax account you want do it from here, they will send an OTP (One Time Password) to your registered Home or MOBILE number to confirm the transaction. You key the number into your phone and the internet connection updates.

Therefore, if registered to a UK number, either have Roaming (which I have) or change the number to your Thai number (which is allowed)

AMDT: Remember to set up as a STERLING transfer, as local currency is default. This way you get a better exchange rate (onshore) than at home (offshore).

Also ask your bank for their SWIFT CODE before trying to set up the transfer. No other infomation or paperwork is needed. Just your full bank account number and the EXACT name in your That Bank Passbook.

Would you mind explaining exactly how you make a transaction? I take "on-line" to mean sitting at your computer and just using the keyboard to transfer money from an account in UK to one in Bangkok. Is this actually what you do?

Nam

If you have an HSBC bank in UK then open HSBC account in Thailand and you can then make a regular monthly transfer by internet without any charges.

HSBC (First Direct) in the UK is one answer.

They charge me £25 a month for a Priority Payment to Bangkok Bank. Takes a few hours to transfer each month and is set up like a standing order. Money transfered in Sterling since better exchange rate here.

I actually set this up online from LOS and still manage my account online via the secure message service or rarely using the phone via Skype.

I had the account with First Direct for many years prior to moving to Thailand-by far the best online banking service in the UK in my opinion.

A cheaper way/free would be if I had HSBC account here in Thailand.

If you have a visa debit card you can go to the exchange booth of Bangkok Bank and withdraw up to the amount in your account with no charge, I draw £1000 this way every month, all I take is my passport and my Nationwide Debit Card and tell them how much I want in baht. No charges and the rate is converted in UK and I always get a better rate than that posted in the bank. N/W will not do a swift transfer unless you are present in the branch, however I have in the past been able to do a swift transfer with Abbey by faxing a copy of my passport & driving licence to them with the swift transfer form but it cost me £20. It was arranged by telephone and then I faxed the paperwork.

Sounds about right at the moment until i go back to uk and open hsbc account,are you saying no charges uk end and thai end

OP: If it is of any interest to you I am in the same position and used to use ATM transactions to get my money here. I then realised that a friend I have in London can send it for me.

He works at a Money Exchange office in the West End, and they have numerous customers in Thailand.

I set up a monthly Standing Order from my UK Bank to his Company Bank, via the internet. He gets the money the same day as the transfer and arranges the transfer there and then. The money is in my Thai Bank account within 3 working days.

The cost of this is 10 GBP per month for transactions under 3000 GBP. Over 3000 it is FREE. I get Spot rate less 0.70 Baht - much better than the ATM or Bank transfer.

PM me if you would like more information.

This is a link to Bangkok Bank's intl funds transfer info.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...20transfer.aspx

OK, all these posts are interesting informative and very useful, but not one of them addresses the central issue which would be the answer to the original question. I have an ibanking account in Bangkok and can log in and transfer money to my wife in a separate account at another bank in Thailand (there are six participating banks). She can do the same. All these transfers take place in real time. I can also use it for the International funds transfer above. I have an ibanking account in the UK and can make on-line transfers within the UK. What I CANNOT do is to use the ibanking account in the UK to transfer money to an account in Bangkok. I doubt that it is posssible but if it is I would like to know at which bank. Thanx.

So, it's not possible to use a web bank in UK to transfer money to another coutry? Sounds as if it's still the stone age :) Have been doing it for 4-5 years from my danish bank..

I've been transfering money from my UK banks to overseas for the last 25 years and never yet set foot in a single one of them.

Before it was necessary to just send a letter instructing a transfer and now I can do it by registering for Internet banking on the bank website.

OP: If it is of any interest to you I am in the same position and used to use ATM transactions to get my money here. I then realised that a friend I have in London can send it for me.

He works at a Money Exchange office in the West End, and they have numerous customers in Thailand.

I set up a monthly Standing Order from my UK Bank to his Company Bank, via the internet. He gets the money the same day as the transfer and arranges the transfer there and then. The money is in my Thai Bank account within 3 working days.

The cost of this is 10 GBP per month for transactions under 3000 GBP. Over 3000 it is FREE. I get Spot rate less 0.70 Baht - much better than the ATM or Bank transfer.

PM me if you would like more information.

Hello Justin this sounds what i am looking for can you give me details website etc also phone number of your friend if poss in case i have any problems. Many thanks

So, it's not possible to use a web bank in UK to transfer money to another coutry? Sounds as if it's still the stone age :) Have been doing it for 4-5 years from my danish bank..

I've been transfering money from my UK banks to overseas for the last 25 years and never yet set foot in a single one of them.

Before it was necessary to just send a letter instructing a transfer and now I can do it by registering for Internet banking on the bank website.

I wish it was so easy but not all uk banks will let you transfer money internationally via internet nationwide and lloyds are two of them . Iwill have to change banks when i go back maybe another years time so until then i will have to use another way.

Sounds about right at the moment until i go back to uk and open hsbc account,are you saying no charges uk end and thai end

No charges between Hsbc accounts either at UK end or Bangkok end. Can also be set up as a recurring charge for your pension every month... set up all done by internet when your accounts have been opened.

Would you mind explaining exactly how you make a transaction? I take "on-line" to mean sitting at your computer and just using the keyboard to transfer money from an account in UK to one in Bangkok. Is this actually what you do?

Nam

I log onto my internet banking account of my UK bank and click on the INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT tab in the left column

From here, I can set up a new account. For that, I need the Thai Bank name, Their SWIFT code, the full bank account number, less the dashes ( - ), and the Thai bank account name exactly. (It may not be the same as your UK account name). Set the currency to STERLING. Enter PIN2 or OTP and you are finished.

(I have not researched if I can do a "regular payment" type transaction)

As I have already set mine up, I just click on the Thai bank account listed.

I enter the amount to transfer and the OTP is sent to my mobile. Once answered and keyed in, Click confirm. If all correct, click to complete transaction.

All done in the comfort of my living room in Thailand.

Hope this answers your question.

Nam

I log onto my internet banking account of my UK bank and click on the INTERNATIONAL PAYMENT tab in the left column

From here, I can set up a new account. For that, I need the Thai Bank name, Their SWIFT code, the full bank account number, less the dashes ( - ), and the Thai bank account name exactly. (It may not be the same as your UK account name). Set the currency to STERLING. Enter PIN2 or OTP and you are finished.

(I have not researched if I can do a "regular payment" type transaction)

As I have already set mine up, I just click on the Thai bank account listed.

I enter the amount to transfer and the OTP is sent to my mobile. Once answered and keyed in, Click confirm. If all correct, click to complete transaction.

All done in the comfort of my living room in Thailand.

Hope this answers your question.

grahamhc

Thanks - that sounds great. All I have to do now is change banks from Natwest which does not have any of the facilities that you mention. :)

Nam

Just a thought, here, but, why is it such a secret to name the bank that isnt allowing you to transfer monies via internet banking?

Because i have looked at quite a few of them, here in the UK and all the ones i have looked at are offering the facility.

These include Nationwide, HSBC, Halifax etc, etc. Even those that base themselves offshore.

Instead of just bemoaning the fact that "My bank wont allow it" name and shame, so that others yet to make the leap to retire/live in Thailand can avoid them like the plague.

Penkoprod

Nationwide does not allow international transfers via internet banking.

You have to send them a letter.

I wasnt going to reply to this, in case i invoked the "moderation is not debatable" argument, if anyone DARES to contradict a moderator, but, anyway:

What do I need to know if I'm registering using a foreign address?

When prompted, you must select 'registering using a foreign address' as the 'find address' search only works for UK addresses.

This was taken directly from the Nationwaide site itself.

So, no letter is required from you, and they will send you the details, plus anything else you require to do "international transfers via internet banking" as you put it. They will even send you such things as card readers, new cards etc. But, let me reiterate...... NO letter is needed from anyone using Nationwide account abroad

Penkoprod

Just a thought, here, but, why is it such a secret to name the bank that isnt allowing you to transfer monies via internet banking?

Because i have looked at quite a few of them, here in the UK and all the ones i have looked at are offering the facility.

These include Nationwide, HSBC, Halifax etc, etc. Even those that base themselves offshore.

Instead of just bemoaning the fact that "My bank wont allow it" name and shame, so that others yet to make the leap to retire/live in Thailand can avoid them like the plague.

Penkoprod

oh my god i got a whinger here it was only a simple question mate no need to get all exited about it

Penkoprod

oh my god i got a whinger here it was only a simple question mate no need to get all exited about it

Wasnt whining.......just asking why the big secret is all

After all, it would be a help to other UK members on here if they avoided the predicament you now find yourself in

I notice you STILL havent answered the question though :)

Penkoprod