Re - Spraying Motorbike Panels

ThaiLife

Ive got a motorbike and the plastic panels are all now showing signs of wear with small scratches and to find re placement new panels is not easy, so I am looking of ways to get them re sprayed , and just wondered if any of you guy's had done the same? . Can it be done with the aerosol spray can's or is it a find a spray shop job, any tips or advice would be most welcome- Thanks :)

TL

ThaiLife: Can it be done with the aerosol spray can's

Yes, and it will look thoroughly sh1t-house if you don't use the right products to etch the plastic and prime it.

ThaiLife: or is it a find a spray shop job, any tips or advice would be most welcome- Thanks

Look for a custom shop that specializes in resprays and one off work. They may charge a bit more but they will get it right.

I have a 2005 Honda Phantom and I live near Khampaeng Phet.

I need the chome panel on the fuel tank, plus the headlamp and two spotlamps sprayed as at certain times of the day when I am riding the reflection from the sun almost blinds me.

Hi billd766, something like 3M non reflective film would be ideal as it's easy to apply and can be removed when your ready to sell it. Using a hand held hair dryer you can ease it around curves. For the little you need, check your local sign store.

3M™ Controltac™ Plus Graphic Film with Comply™ Performance Series 180C

Use this 2 mil, opaque film to screen print large, long-term graphics. It has pressure-activated adhesive and 3M Comply™ Performance feature for easier installation of fleet graphics, signs, emblems and more. It is available in a variety of sizes in a wide selection of glossy colors or matte black.

Don't do it yourself, please. It's worth getting it done right. Unless you have a great deal of experience with spray painting, you will never get a good job from a pressure pack, maybe a touch up, but not a re-paint.

Add: If you have to do it then the secret is preparation of the surface, spend more time than you think is needed to get that right, then prime well, and apply top coats in thin coats, sand back (wet and dry 1500 or higher), until you have something that looks good, then seal it with clear if metallic, polish!

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

Don't do it yourself, please. It's worth getting it done right. Unless you have a great deal of experience with spray painting, you will never get a good job from a pressure pack, maybe a touch up, but not a re-paint.

Add: If you have to do it then the secret is preparation of the surface, spend more time than you think is needed to get that right, then prime well, and apply top coats in thin coats, sand back (wet and dry 1500 or higher), until you have something that looks good, then seal it with clear if metallic, polish!

Oz

The car repair and paint shop up the village can do it for 1,000 baht and I know they are good as they un-dented and resprayed the tailgate on my wife's Ford Ranger pickup after it got bent somehow.

I paid for the repair as it was very possibly me wot dun it as she was outside the car at the time it was reversing. :D

I tried to tell her it was our son untill she pointed out he was only 3 and couldn't reach the pedals. :)