"breaking News" Screwing Up My Browser

JetsetBkk

When the "Breaking News" headline near the top of the page is too long to fit on one line, it causes my browser to jerk down a line and then back up again when a shorter headline is displayed.

Please make this "feature" have a constant page length or tell me how to disable it.

Thanks.

Ah - got it: http : //www.thaivisa.com/js/rss.js?v=1

Stable again. :) - appropriate smiley as my eyes were going up and down chasing the text.

I actually like the feature, but the line length needs sorting.

Edited by JetsetBkk

I'll have the webmaster looking into this asap. It looks ok at my end here.

Guess you have already cleaned the browser cache and pressed CTRL-F5 ?

What browser are you using george? I use Firefox.

I bet your font is so small you can get all of the "Breaking News" titles on one line. I just tried Internet Explorer with a zoom of 200% and the problem is the same.

So all the "webmaster" has to do is to stop the text wrapping onto a second line.

I put my money in with Jingthing. Please tell us how to disable this "feature." I suspect the programmers and editors are looking at this thing with a big monitor screen so that word wrap does not need to take place. Those of us using a laptop screen are busy trying to find anti-seizure medications.

Anyone who wants to stop it can go into their browser options and disable JavaScipt. This may also disable some features you like on other web pages so this counts as a work around - not a fix.

Thanks george, et al. Now the "Breaking News" is on its own line so wrapping doesn't occur and the screen doesn't jump. :)

I'm not sure what will happen if the headline is extremely long, though. :D

Anyway, it's a great feature and means we don't have to check through the news forum index page to see what the latest stories are.

...I'm not sure what will happen if the headline is extremely long, though. :) ...

I tested it just now in Firefox, Chrome and Explorer and it is no longer a problem, regardless whether the screen view is set to have the row of tags in one line or two. The headline does not break into two lines; if there is not enough space, only the part that fits into the available space is displayed. The screen does not jump. The screenshots below are from Chrome, and it is the same in Firefox and Explorer.

post-21260-1258129788_thumb.png post-21260-1258129816_thumb.png

--

Maestro

...The headline does not break into two lines...

Correction. If I zoom in far enough a long headline does break into a second line but this second line flows behind whatever is below the first line. The screen does not jump.

post-21260-1258130836_thumb.png

--

Maestro

Just for fun I reduced the width of the browser window and zoomed in so much that the ticker text spread over three lines. Perhaps this is what you call worst case scenario. Still, the screen does not jump.

post-21260-1258131817_thumb.png

--

Maestro

I have tested it with IE8, Firefox 3.5.5 and Chrome 4.0.223.16 using Win 7 RC and fine in all so may be specific to that browser? Not sure how you clear old information in Mac but had to do that in Windows to get working right several time..

Screen 1440x900

Firefox 3.5.5

The @@#$% thing jumps up and down between items. New item starts on RH side of screen(under the search facility), gets to about 9 or10 characters and moves back to LH side of screen under the new(ish) buttons (Home, news, SMS, newsletter, forums....) that are larger than the grey bar they are on. The jump up and down is about the the difference between the buttons and the background bar.

Can someone tell me when this goes away, I am getting seasick looking at it.

The breaking news does not interrupt anything on my computer (MacBookPro).

But I just wanted to say that I like how TV has created rollovers for the ads between posts (where the entire row turns yellow). On my computer they are not intrusive at all. And if I choose, I can look at them, or not.

(I know how hard TV are working to please everyone, so I just thought I'd add a positive...)

It does work with Safari but not with Camino which uses the Firefox engine. Camino is my main browser, however, so will probably not come around as much until it becomes compatible.

I was thinking yesterday that I don't envy webmasters, who can't just write web pages to conform to the international standard but have to add extra code so that they can handle the non-standard quirks of the many different browsers out there, with the fix to handle a problem of one browser perhaps causing difficulty with another browser.

--

Maestro