Sukhumvit Soi 57

laphroaig

HI folks

I am booked to stay in Bangkok in a hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 57. I have stayed a number of times closer to Asok and Nana and always felt ok. I have never explored further down Sukhumvit than soi 33.

Firstly, as an area is is generally as safe as anywhere else towards soi 57

Are there any decent entertainment venues around 57 or will I have to make my way to the more usual venues closer to Asok junction

Thanks heaps

T

Yes it's pretty safe, even more than Nana I would say. Plenty of entertainment venues in soi 55 (pubs, clubs...) and several massage parlours too if that's what you're into. Soi 55 also has plenty of shopping (Tops), restaurants (Sizzler, Japanese and Italian restaurants...) and all facilities you need (banks etc.). The area is a bit expensive for Thai standards.

Soi 57 is very narrow so it's hard to negociate by car. You can either walk from/to BTS Thonglor or ask the taxi to leave you on Sukhumvit in front of soi 57. There is an interesting shortcut between soi 55 and soi 57...

Soi 57 is very narrow so it's hard to negociate by car. You can either walk from/to BTS Thonglor or ask the taxi to leave you on Sukhumvit in front of soi 57. There is an interesting shortcut between soi 55 and soi 57...

Just thinking about this. Is it likely that the taxi from the airport will not be able to get to hotel? Should I be asking him to drop me off at the end of the road and walking?

The taxi can get to the hotel for sure, no need to ask him to stop at the end of the road, especially if you have heavy luggage. But soi 57 is a two way street when really there is space for just one way, because of cars parked on the side. So if another vehicle is coming front and all parking space are in used, you may have to move back. But taxis know how to force their way. If the guy is really stuck and you prefer getting off, it's a short walk anyway. Where are you staying, Sawatdee Inn?

Edited by Chaam local

Where are you staying, Sawatdee Inn?

Yes, looked to be pretty basic and well priced. I also wanted to try another area rather than where I had stayed before. I have stayed in Petchuburi, Pratunam. then sois 22 and 11 Sukhumvit in the past. I like to walk and explore.

Thanks for your advice, it is appreciated

T

The taxi can get to the hotel for sure, no need to ask him to stop at the end of the road, especially if you have heavy luggage. But soi 57 is a two way street when really there is space for just one way, because of cars parked on the side. So if another vehicle is coming front and all parking space are in used, you may have to move back. But taxis know how to force their way. If the guy is really stuck and you prefer getting off, it's a short walk anyway. Where are you staying, Sawatdee Inn?

I stayed at the sawadee inn 2008 and would not recommend.

Yes it is cheap but it is a long way from town and any night life. In addition I had real problems with bed bugs and on leaving I was stiffed for my deposit.

After hours of skytrain taxis will charge a lot to get home.

Taxis have meters, never had a problem getting them even at 4am or later

If that's too much for your budget, there's buses all night, easy, on Sukhumvit after midnight just take any bus that comes along, they all go all the way to On Nut and beyond.

Two nice "botique" hotels that are less than B1000 per night have opened recently on Sukhumvit between Soi 65 & 67, between Ekkamai and Phra Khanong (a bit closer to Phra Khanong)

One is called the LILLA HOTEL, the other, just a few doors down, is something like D-10.

Both worth checking out.

Don't look for nightlife around Phra Khanong, loads of Thai Karaoke joints but not really farang friendly. I have lived in the area for 5 years and have never even gotten a "Hello" as I walked past; great street food at night though.