Honda Steed 400

Fishenough

Significant other is intrigued with all the recent listing of used Honda Steed 400's with green books.

I know nothing of the Steed, is it nothing more than a stripped down version of the Honda Shadow 400 with which it shares an engine?

Thank you

Only similarity is the engine. The Steed is a chopper frame with a swingarm that resembles a fixed rear end. Lot's of them in Thailand. Prices should be in the low to mid 100's. No service manuals in English is the biggest complaint. Parts out of Singapore I think. Best to look for a bike with a bigger engine if you live in the North Country.

Thanks for the reply Sojourner. Kinda was wondering why so many Steed's have popped up on the classifieds.

The Shadow's manuals are available in English.

Parts, found some in Bangkok for the more common wear items. Motor size; 50 kilo of my sweet heart carrying 50 kilos of our son, and we are slow riders. It's an improvement from the Phantom she wants. Small gas tank looks like we'd be stopping as often as the D-Tracker needs a drink.

Last time when I rented the 650 Ninja for a 440 km ride, what with me just going with the flow, after several scooters passing was a good indicator I don't need a bigger bike. I was slow on the road in Canada, and I'm even slower here. Honestly feel every other driver just plumb ain't used too a bike traveling over 100 km per hour.

Like the man said if you routinely negotiate hills bigger is better but the 11l tank? Having said that I remember one guy trading his Shadow 400 for 600 because the 400 was too slow two up.

At 100kph and If the little lady wants a Phantom that would be a safer bet. Nothing to do with the motorbike. :)

Like the man said if you routinely negotiate hills bigger is better but the 11l tank? Having said that I remember one guy trading his Shadow 400 for 600 because the 400 was too slow two up.

At 100kph and If the little lady wants a Phantom that would be a safer bet. Nothing to do with the motorbike. :D

Uh huh, it's her money so...................... :)

• 4 months later...

I have a 600cc Steed and I'm very much in need of a new radiator for it. Doesn't have to e brand new (not even sure if they exist) but in good working order. Not sure where to look as it seems the parts for these have become harder to come by. Could anyone recommend a good source either in Thailand (I'm in Pattaya) or another country that I can order from.

Thanks much.

IF you cant find one (try Red Baron in bkk) you COULD have one made. there are several places around chonburi that make Ali rads. I just had a brass rad made up for my bike Suzuki vx800 cos i'm cheap. 3,500b and its a bit larger (deeper) but weighs about 3 times as much.

Allan