What No Rugby Forum!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to the English

I believe trolling is not allowed on the forum.

That's my excuse anyway.

I can't find a "gritted teeth" smiley.

Just followed them beating Sri Lanka in a one-day game. I regret to say that I support England at cricket...

SC

Good luck to the English

I believe trolling is not allowed on the forum.

That's my excuse anyway.

I can't find a "gritted teeth" smiley.

Just followed them beating Sri Lanka in a one-day game. I regret to say that I support England at cricket...

SC

No shame in that. After all we are all referred to as poms....

Simply Reds: Genia wonder try secures Super title July 10, 201

Queensland Reds 18 Crusaders 13

reds-gallery-add--3--600x400.jpg

THE Queensland Reds gave Australian rugby its biggest morale boost in years when they won the Super Rugby final with a spectacular and courageous 18-13 victory over the Canterbury Crusaders at Suncorp Stadium last night.

In front of an Australian record crowd of 52,113, the Reds won their first professional Super Rugby final by taking their chances and through individual moments of brilliance, culminating in Test halfback Will Genia's 65-metre dash to the line in the 68th minute, which broke a 13-13 deadlock and won them the game.

This victory was the culmination of a sensational season for the Reds, who succeeded in revitalising Australian rugby in a crucial World Cup year by playing with flair, bravado and never losing the faith. The Reds players must be praised for their adventure all year, as must their coach Ewen McKenzie, ridiculously discarded by the Waratahs three years ago, who expertly guided them to the title.

QUEENSLAND REDS 18 (Will Genia, Digby Ioane tries Quade Cooper con 2 pens) bt CRUSADERS 13 (Daniel Carter try con 2 pens) at Suncorp Stadium. Referee: Bryce Lawrence. Crowd: 52,113.

Edited by Atmos

The Crusaders were always going to be up against it, having to travel to SA and back again. Felt that the decision against Brad Thornes attempted try was the turning point in the game.

anyway, The All Blacks have been named for the upcoming Trinations, (no rest for our boys here) with only one new AB named.

Hoeata bolts into All Blacks squad

Squad: John Afoa (Auckland) Daniel Carter (Canterbury), Jimmy Cowan (Southland), Israel Dagg (Hawke's Bay), Andy Ellis (Canterbury), Corey Flynn (Canterbury), Ben Franks (Tasman), Owen Franks (Canterbury), Hosea Gear (Wellington), Zac Guildford (Hawke's Bay), Jarrad Hoeata (Taranaki) Andrew Hore (Taranaki), Richard Kahui (Waikato), Jerome Kaino (Auckland), Richie McCaw (captain, Canterbury), Keven Mealamu (Auckland), Liam Messam (Waikato), Mils Muliaina (Waikato), Ma'a Nonu (Wellington), Kieran Read (Canterbury), Colin Slade (Canterbury), Conrad Smith (Wellington), Adam Thomson (Otago), Brad Thorn (Canterbury), Isaia Toeava (Auckland), Piri Weepu (Wellington), Sam Whitelock (Canterbury), Ali Williams (Auckland), Sonny Bill Williams (Canterbury), Tony Woodcock (Auckland).

Injury cover: Wyatt Crockett (Canterbury), Cory Jane (Wellington), Sitiveni Sivivatu (Waikato), Ben Smith (Otago).

not a surprise, but disappointing for people travelling to NZ for RWC - this game one of the first to sell out, and the tickets were bloody expensive - I have 2 family members going to this one, all the way from China and Scotland, they won't be impressed if it's a throwaway game from France. Can't be helped, all about tactics t get through pool play.

Fears All Blacks could face French 'B' side

10 July 2011

EXCLUSIVE: French coach Marc Lievremont has hinted he could put out a 'B' team against the All Blacks in their Pool A Rugby World Cup clash.

Lievremont has raised fears that Graham Henry's men could again head into the knockout stage under-done by suggesting he'll field an under-strength team when his side plays the All Blacks in France on September 24.

"I've been thinking about this for a long time,'' Lievremont told French rugby magazine Midi Olympique this week.

"But I would be lying if I said today I knew which way we would be approaching this game.

"Will we be able to take first place [in the pool], which would offer us a more favourable draw?

"The goal is to arrive with 30 fit players at the beginning of the tournament. If I have that, that would be ideal.

"I don't know yet if we can beat New Zealand. We will play the match to win it but I don't know if it will be a mixed team yet.

"One thing is for sure, it won't be the end of the road for us. We can't ignore the fact that having done what's necessary against Japan and Canada we have a second chance against Tonga [to make the quarterfinals].''

Edited by Atmos

Good to see Ali Williams back; and a few regular names missing from the All Blacks squad

Notable absentees include Joe Rokocoko, Neemia Tialata, Luke McAlister, Hikawera Elliot, Alby Mathewson, Victor Vito and Tom Donnelly.

Blues and North Harbour lock Anthony Boric was not considered due to the foot injury

15 Queensland Reds named in Australia's 40-man squad for the Tri-Nations and the Test against Samoa.

Deans will trim his squad by 10 for the World Cup on August 18

Australia squad: Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Ben Daley, Rod Davies, Dave Dennis, Rocky Elsom, Anthony Faingaa, Saia Faingaa, Will Genia, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Digby Ioane, Sekope Kepu, Salesi Maafu, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Stephen Moore, Luke Morahan, Dean Mumm, James O'Connor, Wycliff Palu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota Nau, Beau Robinson, Benn Robinson, Radike Samo, Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons, James Slipper, Sitaleki Timani, Lachie Turner, Dan Vickerman.

this decision is beyond me . . . is there no pride at all in wearing the England jersey?

For NZ the pride in wearing black, Australians talk about 'the green and gold' as the top achievement.

Based on this, England may well turn out in 'green and gold' next time they tour Oz.

Similar bs to France darkening their blue to force NZ out of black . . . .

sad that 'sport' drops to this level imo

England to wear all black strip at rugby World Cup in New Zealand

By LUKE BENEDICT

Last updated at 11:45 PM on 14th July 2011

The England rugby team will wear an all black strip when they kick off their World Cup campaign against Argentina in New Zealand.

The decision to wear the new 'away' strip for their opening pool match in Dunedin on September 10 is certain to ruffle a few Kiwi feathers and could even spark a diplomatic row with the host nation before a ball has been kicked.

Both the shirt and the shorts of the new strip are jet black with no other colour except for the Red Rose badge.

It is officially England's 'away' strip but will be worn for their three World Cup warm-up matches in August and for their tournament opener.

Sportsmail understands there are plans to wear the shirt for other pool games and beyond - though should England progress to the final they would probably meet the All Blacks and return to their traditional white.

The players were not consulted about the colour of the new kit - which will be unveiled by Nike on August 1 - but are understood to be excited about wearing it even though they risk upsetting traditionalists as well as being perceived as ungracious guests.

Even their training kit for the World Cup has a Kiwi twist, with a red rose crest on the chest surrounded by ancient Maori symbols and decorations.

The kit will debut against Wales at Twickenham on August 6 before their return match in Cardiff the following weekend. It will also be worn in Dublin for their last warm-up game against Ireland at the Aviva Stadium on August 27.

Edited by Atmos

totally agree, but I guess its all in selling more jerseys for the sponsors in the end

Sportsmail understands there are plans to wear the shirt for other pool games and beyond - though should England progress to the final they would probably meet the All Blacks and return to their traditional white

England could potentially meet the All Blacks in the quarter finals if they lose to Argentina and become runners up in pool B

In the end, I dont care what the other teams do, all I care is what we wear as long as we stick to All Black. I hated the jersey they wore against Scotland RWC 07, it was Black with grey side panels, and the Scots wore something similar, dark blue side panels with grey?? Looked truly awful on the telly, almost couldnt tell them apart.

we have a great jersey this year, by all accounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459U2ljQZHI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

time to talk boots....

most the backs opting for the Predator boot, which are white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGe9DSekDI

totally agree, but I guess its all in selling more jerseys for the sponsors in the end

Sportsmail understands there are plans to wear the shirt for other pool games and beyond - though should England progress to the final they would probably meet the All Blacks and return to their traditional white

England could potentially meet the All Blacks in the quarter finals if they lose to Argentina and become runners up in pool B

In the end, I dont care what the other teams do, all I care is what we wear as long as we stick to All Black. I hated the jersey they wore against Scotland RWC 07, it was Black with grey side panels, and the Scots wore something similar, dark blue side panels with grey?? Looked truly awful on the telly, almost couldnt tell them apart.

we have a great jersey this year, by all accounts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=459U2ljQZHI&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

time to talk boots....

most the backs opting for the Predator boot, which are white

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIGe9DSekDI

That was a dreadful clash - the Scotland - New Zealand strips; As I recall, the Scottish strip was a sort of grey colour all over, and the All-Blacks' grey panels were quite big.

I don't see what's wrong with sticking to your normal colours...

SC

I read that there is no 'home' team in RWC, which does I suppose make sense, and that the playing strip worn in the France-NZ match in pool play will be decided on coin-toss as France's navy-blue is too close to black. So the same would apply for any colour clash in the final?

All silly gamesmanship, I doubt the NZ players will be worried about it; wonder how the English players will feel? Cheap? Embarrassed?

If the England supporters choose to buy black supporters gear it'll look good in the stands, no matter who England are playing, plenty of spectators in black!

I'm a traditionalist and there have been some dreadful changes to jerseys since (?) 1980s when 'fashion' became involved. Happy to say my old home club still play in blue and white hoops, looked on their website to check how long - they went from blue jersey/white shorts to blue/white stripes and white shorts in 1893, changed shorts colour to black in 1929, but in 1949 changed back to white, and in 1974 blue shorts. Change happens slowly in Taranaki. At a guess there was probably plenty of argument over the shorts.

Pic: 1908 and winners of the Taranaki Championship. My great uncle front row, first on the left. You'll need to imagine the colours!

heres a pic I found, from that RWC game

looks ok as a photo, but on telly it was dreadful as the colours merged and it was difficult to see the difference

It just seemed that every player on the park was wearing an All- Black jersey. Though I suppose that had nothing to do with the strips...

SC

Brilliant Samoa stun Wallabies

July 17, 2011

Australia 23 Samoa 32

Samoa dealt Australia a reality check eight weeks out from the Rugby World Cup with a stunning 32-23 upset victory over the Wallabies in Sydney.

Tiny Samoa, population 180,000, out-scored Australia four tries to two to post their first-ever win over the Wallabies in front of almost 30,000 shellshocked fans at ANZ Stadium.

The embarrassing defeat - which reversed Australia's 74-7 trouncing of Samoa in their last meeting with the Pacific Islanders at the same venue six years ago - is a major setback six days before the Wallabies launch their Tri Nations campaign against world champions South Africa.

more

Edited by Atmos

Brilliant Samoa stun Wallabies

July 17, 2011

Australia 23 Samoa 32

Samoa dealt Australia a reality check eight weeks out from the Rugby World Cup with a stunning 32-23 upset victory over the Wallabies in Sydney.

Tiny Samoa, population 180,000, out-scored Australia four tries to two to post their first-ever win over the Wallabies in front of almost 30,000 shellshocked fans at ANZ Stadium.

The embarrassing defeat - which reversed Australia's 74-7 trouncing of Samoa in their last meeting with the Pacific Islanders at the same venue six years ago - is a major setback six days before the Wallabies launch their Tri Nations campaign against world champions South Africa.

more

What a boost for Samoa's confidence ahead of the world cup, after a disappointing Pacific Nations.

SC

^ I expected Oz to run away with the game 20-30 points; wasn't aware that for the Pacific Nations matches Samoa was lacking many of their European-based players - they arrived in Sydney during the week, so it was their first match together - they did well.

Oz under a lot of pressure to perform v SA next week - while SA may be missing some first-choice players they'll be no easybeats.

I'd almost cheer for them (almost)

Wales may be worried.

gal_558333294-600x400.jpg

Edited by Atmos

good for RWC ticket sales too

Tuesday Jul 19, 2011

A Samoa match in the Rugby World Cup has sold out in the excitement surrounding the team's stunning upset of Australia.

The Samoans achieved a historic win over Australia on Sunday night, beating them 32-23 in Sydney.

A Rugby World Cup spokeswoman said tickets to Samoa-South Africa at North Harbour Stadium had been exhausted following the win.

"There's been an increase in demand to Samoa matches since the result," she said.

"Samoa-Fiji and Samoa-Wales are also both selling really well."

The Samoa-South Africa match is the fourth cup game to have its "allocation exhausted" after the grand final, the New Zealand-France match and the France-Canada match.

Cup organisers avoid the term "sold out" because more tickets could be made available.

The tournament has sold 1 million of 1.6 million tickets so far, reaching almost three-quarters of its target.

from NZ's betting agency, TAB

they are not offering odds on head-to-head win/lose, but for each $1 invested, with points margins:

NZ v Fiji

New Zealand -68.5 $1.87

Fiji +68.5 $1.87

Tri-Nations odds per $1 invested:

New Zealand $1.55

South Africa $6.50

Australia $3.25

I don't gamble on sports. Best avoided I think.

RWC

interesting how their odds are still on Wales to make it out of Pool D at RWC

South Africa 1.01

Wales 1.25

Samoa 4.00

Fiji 11.00

Namibia 250.00

Edited by Atmos

from NZ's betting agency, TAB

they are not offering odds on head-to-head win/lose, but for each $1 invested, with points margins:

NZ v Fiji

New Zealand -68.5 $1.87

Fiji +68.5 $1.87

Tri-Nations odds per $1 invested:

New Zealand $1.55

South Africa $6.50

Australia $3.25

I don't gamble on sports. Best avoided I think.

RWC

interesting how their odds are still on Wales to make it out of Pool D at RWC

South Africa 1.01

Wales 1.25

Samoa 4.00

Fiji 11.00

Namibia 250.00

I don'r know how bookmakers set their odds. I did some sums on that set, and my conclusion is that those odds are about 7% less than fair (in other words, the bookmaker can expect to win 7%) which seems like a narrow margin to me. Is this a tote (so that punters are betting against each other) or a book (betting against the bookmaker)? I would think Fiji would be a good bet for the next pint; drink one less - you win; an extra night;s drinking - you win more!

SC

hi - no idea about sports betting - given my performance on various internet tipping sites, that is a good thing!

the NZ TAB now has more odds available, suppose they waited till teams were announced. So this week my imaginary $1 would go on NZ 39 or less, proceeds reinvested on SA 12 and under, for a possible 34 return. Easy as that!

NZ v Fiji

Winning team/margin

NZ by 100 or more10.00; NZ by 70-99 2.35; NZ by 40-69 2.10; NZ by 39 or less 8.00; Draw or Fiji win 50.00

Guildford and Sivivatua are favourites for 'first try scorer' both paying 6.00

Australia v South Africa

Head-to-head Australia 1.35; South Africa 3.00

Winning team/margin

Australia by 13 & Over 2.30; Australia by 12 & Under 2.95; Draw 25.00; Sth Africa by 12 & Under 4.25; Sth Africa by 13 & Over 9.00

Edited by Atmos

for the first hit out for the season, the All Blacks were fair at best imo

some of the passing was 2nd rate, line outs were crap, and not much tactical kicking, and some terrible tackling.

they were lucky it was Fiji playing to be honest. A very disjointed game that didnt flow.

There were however some good points, Sivivatua form improved, good to see McCaw back and we need Weepu/Carter as our 1st choice half back and first five, the difference they made when they came on was like night and day.

your thoughts?

^ messy/patchy; no excuses re 'rusty' - if this match had not been thrown together as a Chch fundraiser their first match together would have been v SA on the 30th.

One piece of trivia from last night - Deacon Manu and Conrad Smith - both Taranaki-born, both played 1st XV rugby for Francis Douglas College, New Plymouth (John Mitchell the one other AB from the school), neither ever played for Taranaki for rep rugby though, Waikato and Wellington instead, then Fiji and New Zealand.

Read some previews of the Oz-SA match - surprised many of the 'experts' give SA no chance . . . SA have a poor record in Sydney, but that's irrelevant these days - just history! (unless of course it is Wales - 1953!) looking at the weather it may be a low-scoring game, SA by 8 (don't quote me, and def don't put money on that)

and a few words from Graham Henry

All Blacks coach Graham Henry admits the All Blacks will have to lift their intensity, execution and accuracy for the Tri-Nations after a fits-and-start 60-14 win over Fiji.

Henry said it was "pleasing'' to score 60 points, the team "played well in patches'' and some individuals had strong games - notably wing Sitiveni Sivivatu and pivot Colin Slade.

He thought the All Blacks were "inconsistent in our execution'' in their last test at Carisbrook but it was "a good step'' towards next Saturday's clash with the Springboks in Wellington.

"Playing the Springboks will heighten the intensity, and we're going to have to be, because... if we don't increase our intensity and accuracy, especially at the breakdown, we'll be in trouble.''

''pleasing'' to score 60 points on Fiji? I guess it is but what about the 2 tries we had against? I think we need to work on ball security and tackling is what I saw. Did I mention passing earlier?

well I guess its a start to the RWC campaign, and its on wards and upwards from here.

looking forward, one hopes to see some sort of continuity in the selections as the tri-nations starts, but who knows what Henry n Co will do with a ''B side'' SA team coming down under.

We shall see how the Boks cope against a wounded Wallaby side, out to make amends from last weekends hiccup.

Pressure is all on the Wallabies, as no one expects a 'B' side Bok team to win do they?

39-20, five tries to two . . . don't really know what to make of the result, I did not expect the SA side to play so poorly - or Oz to play so well (another reminder to avoid sports betting)

Next week NZ v SA in Wellington may put things into perspective in terms of how bad/good SA is - but only if Henry plays a full-strength side, and I think he won't.

The week after in Auckland v Oz may see a full-strength NZ team (maybe)

Tri-Nations matches

30 July 2011 New Zealand vs South Africa Westpac Stadium, Wellington

5 August 2011 New Zealand vs Australia Eden Park, Auckland

13 August 2011 South Africa vs Australia The Absa Stadium, Durban

20 August 2011 South Africa vs New Zealand Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth

27 August 2011 Australia vs New Zealand Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

This weekends clash vs the Boks will be a good gauge on how the ABs step it up a notch. If not, there will be some soul searching going on.

It should be a comfortable win to the ABs. Anything less will be a backward step imho. We want to keep building momentum and improve on each and every game from here.

The weather could be a factor this weekend thou. If its wet n wild, it could be closer. But the ABs should have the goods. ABs by 25 points.

Looking a few weeks ahead

AUG 6th @ Eden Park- this could well be the game of the tri nations, who knows, these 2 teams could meet again in the final of the 2011 RWC on the very same ground. To close to call who would win this one.

560510.jpg

This weekends clash vs the Boks will be a good gauge on how the ABs step it up a notch. If not, there will be some soul searching going on.

It's a bit of a 'no win'

If they run away with a lead of 40 points or more - it's because the opposition was poor

Win by 10 points - there'll be plenty of doubt re RWC

As an ex Wellingtonian for 10yrs I've seen so many crap games at the stadium there, Wgtn Lions, Hurricanes, ABs too have so often under-performed in Wellington.

I was surprised how poorly SA played last week - they are not I believe that bad a team, more time together and they would surely threaten many of the top-10 sides, alos have my doubts re AB's ability to 'finish' against weaker opposition - so often the last 20 which used to be a real AB strength has seen the opposition score weak tries/points, the old 'taking the foot off the throat' syndrome coupled with some poor use of the subs bench (Hong Kong v Australia 2010, anyone?).

My pick - ABs margin 15-20.

But - I could be wrong!