Police Stop

Briggsy

I was stopped on my bike in the centre of Sri Racha the other day.

Immediately the cop said in Thai, "Just a check" and patted down my trouser pockets and then said, "What's in the bag, eh, eh, what's in the bag?" I knew thisweren't Pattaya and he wouldn't know any English so I said back in English, "What're you doing, eh, eh, what're you doing with my bag?" He just gave up fiddling with the zip of my backpack and waved me on. What was all that about?

Maybe he thought you were hiding a stolen military assault rifle.....

I'm fairly certain that you have no protection against random searches by police including of your person and items in your possession. It's the same way that the governement here is able to listen to your phone conversations, look at your email or what websites you visit with no cause or warrant. It will be that way in America and the UK soon. Just wait.

I noticed at Jungcyclon in Phuket today that security officers are running the wheeled mirror around the cars looking for bombs. They have been searching bags and under motorbike seats for a while too. I think your experience may be related to a these country wide general increases in security measures at the moment. I don't think I need to explain why.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

bib doing their job brigsy, albiet a bit of a sloppy job if they let a character like you past without at least turning you upside down :D

At least you wernt patted down like this guy :)

Edited by neverdie

Seems a highly inefficient way of hoping to find anything. I mean, he didn't even ask to see my driving licence.

And I am always unhappy to deal with the police here, because they can do anything they want including hitting you up for cash on some bogus charge.

bib doing their job brigsy, albiet a bit of a sloppy job if they let a character like you past without at least turning you upside down :D

At least you wernt patted down like this guy :)

That's hilarious. After I read your post but before I saw the video it reminded me of a story I was going to tell. This same exact thing happened to a friend of mine, as in a cop friend. We were transporting a guy we had arrested from the city holding cell to the country jail. The guy had been napping in his cell, and thus had, (I think) "morning wood". My partner searched him again as you do before transporting, and when reached the front waistband "found something" and said the the guy, and I quote: "What's all this?" "That's my cock." he says. lol I thought it was kind of a compliment the way my partner asked the question. To be fair to the guy in the video, and my partner, when these guys wear their belts lower than their scroat, it's bound to happen.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I did run a police stop once and I got away with it but it's pretty inadvisable. For a start they often just radio down the road to the next intersection. As for the "inconspicuous plate", my experience is that these are more likely to get you pulled in Thailand as they very often use the tactic of having one senior copper standing 50 metres before the road block behind a sign, looking at the back of the bikes and radioing any non-standard plate bike back to the 30 cops down the road who then immediately pull the bike and jump up and down with glee shouting "non-standard plate". Trust me, I've been there.

Nine posts have been removed for flaming, bickering & generally carrying on like eleven year olds.

Please try to keep it civil and avoid inflamatory comments such as avoiding direction given by the police. What you do is up to you, however, please do not advocate illegal actvity on this board.

Strangely enough, this morning as I was heading up Sukhumvit from Ban Chang and half way to Maptaphut, there were a couple of cops pulling up cars at random and letting the bikes through. Ain't that the strangest thing?

It is your lucky day. The Thais will go buy some lottery.

Dunno guys...

Been riding in Thailand for a while and dealing with the Brown Mafia gets tiresome when you know you've done nothing wrong and they're just looking for a shake-down... 12k on the 250, 18k on the ER6n and approaching 18k on the Ninja 650R, not to mention the rentals before that and not 'popped' yet. Macho??? Me? Ha ha! That's a good one! :)

Ride On!

Tony

I never pass the police or give them lip, its just counter productive. I have passed them a few times when they try to make me stop and i cant make a safe stop in time.

But tony is your thai so good that you can read the trafic code if they show it to you.. im impressed.