Auto Bikes

neverdie

I am needing to buy an auto bike for running around to the markets on & little errands etc. The other half has also decided she want to learn to ride a bike as well :D . I feel my best option is to buy a little auto & then I will get rid of my Raider and buy a bigger bike.

I know nothing about the auto bikes & have just started looking.

I've only looked at the Honda click & the Scoopy at this time. They appear to be powered by the same engine, only the click is water cooled and has a slightly different ratio to the gearing. Theres only a 2kg difference between the bikes. We want something that is comfortable. Also, I want fuel injection. :)

What is Combi braking like? I'm not sure, but my understanding of it is when I apply the front brake the rear is automatically applied. If I apply the rear, the front automatically comes on. Is that right? If so, I don't like the sound of it, because I often put the rear brake on when maneuvering at slow speed to steady the bike OR if Im running a bit hot into a corner and want it to lean over a bit further etc.....the idea of the front brake applying in either of those situations is not desirable. Has anyone got info on what this Combi brake is?

Are there any other autos out there I should be considering?

Not so long ago you told us that you have a family member who works at Suzuki Thailand, I can remember that Suzuki had a pretty good discount for workers.

The Suzuki Skydrive 125 or the Suzuki Jelato 125 are both CVT-automatic and have fuel-injection. Also it is said that the 125cc Suzuki's with DCP-FI are seriously more powerful then the 110cc Honda counter parts...

Well you want fuel injection, but I will say my little Fino is bloody fine for shopping/heavy traffic, very fast acceleration too (for the engine size). No strange brake arrangements and unwanted stopping at red lights. :)

Not so long ago you told us that you have a family member who works at Suzuki Thailand, I can remember that Suzuki had a pretty good discount for workers.

The Suzuki Skydrive 125 or the Suzuki Jelato 125 are both CVT-automatic and have fuel-injection. Also it is said that the 125cc Suzuki's with DCP-FI are seriously more powerful then the 110cc Honda counter parts...

Yes I do have a family member that works for Suzuki and I have ridden both the Jelato and the Skydrive. The Jelato is not for me. The skydrive was alright but I prefer the click, power difference, im sorry I will be bluntly truthful about it but I couldnt notice.

The bike is for me and not the inlaw, besides hes just purchased a new skydrive, which is the one i rode. I havent ridden scoopy, but as I said, it appears to be the same motor spec wise, only its not water cooled (I think).

I wondered about the Yamaha elegance (nuovo), it has a much bigger engine, I see but again, I havent ridden one of those.

Well you want fuel injection, but I will say my little Fino is bloody fine for shopping/heavy traffic, very fast acceleration too (for the engine size). No strange brake arrangements and unwanted stopping at red lights. :D

Whats that about, the unwanted stopping at red lights? :)

Well you want fuel injection, but I will say my little Fino is bloody fine for shopping/heavy traffic, very fast acceleration too (for the engine size). No strange brake arrangements and unwanted stopping at red lights. :D

Whats that about, the unwanted stopping at red lights? :)

The new Honda PRX stops automatically at red lights in order to save fuel, well so I read in this forum anyway :D:D:D , but think you can actually switch it off or your battery will be drained in no time, very fuc_king smart huh.

Gary, Im yet to ride one of these bikes that does have power. I'd admit theres a few thai guys burning around on highly modified ones that seem to sling shot away from the lights fairly quickly. :)

Anyway, fortunately, Im just looking for something that will bob around in the medium traffic, doing all the little stuff on & it needs to be an auto for the other half.... I was just hoping to throw a line out there and see if anyone warned me off one or the other etc

I do not understand the downer comments about the PCX. If anybody has a problem with it then they cannot ride a bike.

:) Huh? :D I just said too chunky for what im looking for. So that instantly means I cannot ride a bike? Strange world ur living in transam.

transam, I can't imagine that start/stopping the engine all the time in heavy traffic will do your battery any good especially if you don't have a good charging "run" before you park it.

What about after dark, does the light stay on when the engine stops or are you suddenly invisible?? Bigger bikes still have power to the lights with stopped engine but don't know about the PRX.

Well I never riden one so I don't know how it works in real life :)

IMHO

A. If you want a rear brake only, the PCX is not for you, as both sides connect to the front brake as well as the rear or (if modified) the right to the front only. And while gorgeous to some, myself included, and offering many features, it is 5 1/2 inches wider than, say, a 135cc Yamaha Nouvo E, and so as you know, chunky if compared to bikes Thais ride, just enough tougher to park to be annoying at mirror-contact points. And a good deal heavier to boot.

B. With the Click-I, of course, you will be able to chose a model without the combi-brake. Unlike the new Honda Wave Automatic, which is rare in this regard, The Click-i has no chain to measure, clean, and oil.

C. There are of course those who will claim that autos are not so hot for racing and don't have best mileage. They're right, but who cares for a runaround and given the modest advantages for other models in those comparisons? Claims that autos are costly or maintenance hogs are - as you've read - debated. My vote, based on the statistically insignificant experience of riding them for four years and discussing the matter with dealers, mechanics, and fellow riders, is that such claims are unjustified in these days, as they are for cars. As a matter of fact, studies of 4,214 mechanics world-wide, done in my imagination, reported that it is the "all-out" driver, accelerating wildly at every opportunity, who will experience transmission problems, no matter what he drives. We're talking about modern Japanese bikes!

D. I agree with RichardBKK that the price advantage (relatives aside) goes to the Suzuki 125 auto's you've mentioned, as they pull more and go faster. But one looses something of that $ advantage on re-sale for sure.

E. Plus any Honda has all the advantages that Honda's have - plus that 5 year warranty on the F1 stuff. My only gripe with them is storage, but that can be said of most nowadays, now that baskets are ruled out.

Edited by CMX

You can have the automatics.I like the gears faster takeoffs.And better slow downs.I'm definitely old school

Yes, i have geared bikes, I want an auto.

Im not sure what you are talking about faster takeoffs on the geared bikes.......most of these autos kill similarly sized manuals off the line. :)

IMHO

A. If you want a rear brake only, the PCX is not for you, as both sides connect to the front brake as well as the rear or (if modified) the right to the front only. And while gorgeous to some, myself included, and offering many features, it is 5 1/2 inches wider than, say, a 135cc Yamaha Nouvo E, and so as you know, chunky if compared to bikes Thais ride, just enough tougher to park to be annoying at mirror-contact points. And a good deal heavier to boot.

B. With the Click-I, of course, you will be able to chose a model without the combi-brake. Unlike the new Honda Wave Automatic, which is rare in this regard, The Click-i has no chain to measure, clean, and oil.

C. There are of course those who will claim that autos are not so hot for racing and don't have best mileage. They're right, but who cares for a runaround and given the modest advantages for other models in those comparisons? Claims that autos are costly or maintenance hogs are - as you've read - debated. My vote, based on the statistically insignificant experience of riding them for four years and discussing the matter with dealers, mechanics, and fellow riders, is that such claims are unjustified in these days, as they are for cars. As a matter of fact, studies of 4,214 mechanics world-wide, done in my imagination, reported that it is the "all-out" driver, accelerating wildly at every opportunity, who will experience transmission problems, no matter what he drives. We're talking about modern Japanese bikes!

D. I agree with RichardBKK that the price advantage (relatives aside) goes to the Suzuki 125 auto's you've mentioned, as they pull more and go faster. But one looses something of that $ advantage on re-sale for sure.

E. Plus any Honda has all the advantages that Honda's have - plus that 5 year warranty on the F1 stuff. My only gripe with them is storage, but that can be said of most nowadays, now that baskets are ruled out.

Thanks for that detailed reply. The PCX is not for us, as Ive said before, my other half has never ridden before & I am yet to go through that training business....but the bikes mainly going to be used to run around the immediate local area, market etc....the PCX is massive overkill and in her words, "Too chunky".

You are right, there is 3 levels of click, one of which doesnt come with the Combi braking, which I assume works the same as the PCX's. In all reality the combi braking is probably better for her, yet worse for me, so I will have to balance that one out.....keeping in mind I wont be touring Thailand or south east asia on it - THANK GOD :) .

As for the Suzuki, I couldnt pick the power difference between the skydrive and the click, but i was on the two bikes several weeks apart, so perhaps the difference would of been noticed had I ridden the bikes consecutively. Its a matter of taste, but we both prefered the click.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a new click 4 months ago or so.it is quite nippy and returns 120 kms to 100 baht when i refill it.i weigh 72 kilos and it pulls well with a passenger on the back and shopping also,i also have a new fino which uses more fuel than the click.The combi brake does not seem to be a problem,however i seem to brake it stays under control.As someone said the autos are not so good for carrying things but the click is handy to carry some things in the footwell area.I drove a neouvo the other day but found it a bit more bulky and somewhat top heavy,but i would probably get used to that in time.Anyway i vote for the click as a good all round runabout bike.

IMHO

Thanks for that detailed reply. The PCX is not for us, as Ive said before, my other half has never ridden before & I am yet to go through that training business....but the bikes mainly going to be used to run around the immediate local area, market etc....the PCX is massive overkill and in her words, "Too chunky".

You are right, there is 3 levels of click, one of which doesnt come with the Combi braking, which I assume works the same as the PCX's. In all reality the combi braking is probably better for her, yet worse for me, so I will have to balance that one out.....keeping in mind I wont be touring Thailand or south east asia on it - THANK GOD :) .

As for the Suzuki, I couldnt pick the power difference between the skydrive and the click, but i was on the two bikes several weeks apart, so perhaps the difference would of been noticed had I ridden the bikes consecutively. Its a matter of taste, but we both prefered the click.

Thanks for the info.

suzuki step carb is more powerful than Honda 110cc injection. Suz Skydrive is much more powerful. if within budget and not to large for your wife, try yammy Elegance 135cc. best scoot in LOS

Why do you want fuel injection?

If you only want the bike to go to the market and run little errands it is an additional expense you really don't need.

I have had a Yamaha Nouvo for four years and it has been the best vehicle I have ever had. Also, fuel efficiency has been fine with a full tank lasting a fortnight doing similar errands to yours.

Honda Click is sometimes not suitable for western men due to the single spring on the rear suspension.

It's a bike for the lightweight.

Yamaha Nuevo and Honda PCX considered not pretty by Thai girls

If you want to impress then the ladies appear to like Fino/Click/AirBlade

Why do you want fuel injection?

If you only want the bike to go to the market and run little errands it is an additional expense you really don't need.

Nope I don't think its an additional expense at all, in fact Honda for one has scrapped carby bikes all together. Carby's don't like gasahol & Im not even sure these fuel injected bikes are that much more expensive, if at all, just compare fino (carby) to scoopy (injected)....almost the same price.

I do not understand the downer comments about the PCX. If anybody has a problem with it then they cannot ride a bike.

:D Huh? :D I just said too chunky for what im looking for. So that instantly means I cannot ride a bike? Strange world ur living in transam.

eeeer, you miss understand, my reply wasn't aimed at you, my replies are aimed at help for you.

The cannot ride a bike was aimed at another who rode the PCX once and shoved it in the garage as if it was a problem bike to ride. :)

Ohh, I was lacking that piece of info, never saw that post & indeed that is a bit :D .....I have seen a few of the PCX getting around and they look fine, actually look really comfortable, but not what i need for this job. Interestingly those PCX seem to carry load okay, I saw 5 thais riding one just the other day :D now thats :D

Honda Click is sometimes not suitable for western men due to the single spring on the rear suspension.

It's a bike for the lightweight.

Yamaha Nuevo and Honda PCX considered not pretty by Thai girls

If you want to impress then the ladies appear to like Fino/Click/AirBlade

Impress the ladies, thats not something I have worried about for a long time.....but thanks for the laugh :)

suzuki step carb is more powerful than Honda 110cc injection. Suz Skydrive is much more powerful. if within budget and not to large for your wife, try yammy Elegance 135cc. best scoot in LOS

You must measure this power difference with a fine guage katabeachbum.....skydrive being more powerful, I dunno.

The Elegance is definately one I think that should be assessed, Im yet to ride one of those but will see if I can. Thanks for the tip.

You must measure this power difference with a fine guage katabeachbum.....skydrive being more powerful, I dunno.

The Elegance is definately one I think that should be assessed, Im yet to ride one of those but will see if I can. Thanks for the tip.

Neverdie, I had a Yamaha Nouvo MX 115cc for 2 yrs no problems. I traded it on a new Nouvo Elegance 135cc fuel injected had it for 2 yrs never a problem. Very fast off the lights, easy to handle in traffic, carry 2 persons with ease on trips to LopBuri and Koh Chang etc, great for the markets, fuel efficient and great stopping power. The only thing you have to remember on an automatic bike is that they will neutralise when going down a steep hill, so you have to give it a small bit of throttle now and again to engage the auto transmission.

I had a rear carry box fitted to mine as well as they don't have the mounts for a front basket. I dont like front baskets as they normally block off the headlights when full of shopping etc.

Ozemade :)

Edited by OZEMADE

measures not very scientific. some goes up the hills with passanger, some dont. wave,click and airblade injection dont, with carb dont even try. yammy 115cc fino/ nouvo/mio dont. passanger walks.

Elegance 135 cc rules. suzuki injection and pcx second. some extremely steep hills without passanger suzuki rules.

all in 35C in Phuket

some ladys find Elegance to large, beeing 15-25 cm longer than click, skydrive, fino

Edited by katabeachbum

Thanks Oze, I am a Yamaha man from wayback, so I will definately be taking a look at the elegance....although I must point out that someone else here will stongly enfluence things on the look factor (according to her), so I will have to balance it all out, keeping in mind my care factor is fairly low because I have my eyes on something much more beautiful for myself :)

Thanks Oze, I am a Yamaha man from wayback, so I will definately be taking a look at the elegance....although I must point out that someone else here will stongly enfluence things on the look factor (according to her), so I will have to balance it all out, keeping in mind my care factor is fairly low because I have my eyes on something much more beautiful for myself :)

'fess up, what are you getting? :D

Edited by Garry