An Experiment With L E D Lighting

Crossy

Does HomePro have a quality LED lighting available? Are there other places that do?

Lamptitude in Bangkok (Sukhumvit soi Ekkamai) has a good selection of quality LED. I recently bought seven there myself that I shall use around the pool on the terrace. These lamps are IP67 too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good thread. I read with interest, but afraid that I cannot contribute because my knowledge of electrics is zero.

Am in the process refurbishment of a condo unit, and at the moment I'm considering LED lighting (as more of accessory lighting - floors, back-lit walls, etc.) and this thread is informative. Thanks Crossy for good info, as usual.

After all the high-detailed electronic science above, I'll throw in an uneducated user's question that I've had for a long time:

What exactly is the reason for a wattage limitation on, say, a table lamp that has a decal: "Maximum 60 W?"

Would I be restricted to using a 12W CFL light which is advertised to emit as much light as a 60W incandenscent? Or, could I safely screw in a 60W CFL light into that 60W socket and have mega-light from my lamp? (I realize that a 60W CFL light is a bit over the top, just using it for contrast.)

60W maximum because a higher wattage lamp will produce too much heat for the material that is used.

A 60W CFL will be a lot cooler and therefore no problem.

Yup ^^^. And will be like sitting in a lighthouse :)

Actually because a CFL is so much more efficient and thus generates a lot less heat, you could actually put a massive CFL in the fitting without heat issues.

Does anyone know of a supplier of the new dimable CFLs' in Bkk

I saw them in HomePro (Rangsit) about 18 months ago. Not seen them since so evidently they didn't sell too well (they were VERY expensive).

I'd start at your local HomePro.

Does anyone know of a supplier of the new dimable CFLs' in Bkk

I saw them in HomePro (Rangsit) about 18 months ago. Not seen them since so evidently they didn't sell too well (they were VERY expensive).

I'd start at your local HomePro.

i purchased some from homepro chitlom that came with ballast and simply slotted into my existing halogen track system.

In addition to providing nowhere near the lumens of a halogen the light was excessively cold, and harsh, much like a fluorescent tube.

I experimented with three units on a track that had formerly used two halogens and they were removed that evening and the halogens replaced.

• 8 months later...

Right now LED lamps are very new technology in Thailand and as such attract scarily premium pricing :)

There are a number of sellers on eBay, mostly in HongKong, that will ship to Thailand. Sadly much of the stuff available is total crap from China and careful selection is required, particularly, those lamps using lots of small LEDs aren't worth a light :D

Several sellers have 3W and 5W downlighters and spotlamps using 3 LEDs, these I would consider the minimum power for any useful lighting (sorry forum rules preclude me pointing at particular sellers or products).

Whilst LEDs are more efficient than other types I think the claims are often over rated. IMHO you should use 80-90% of whatever CFL would be adequate in your application. My home-built 20W ceiling fittings give subjectively about the same light level as the 34W circular fluorescents with conventional ballasts they replace, the 9W fitting in the bathroom appears brighter than the 10W CFL it replaced.

I'm planning to import LEDs for my house in Thailand - does anyone know what safety standards are required (CE? RoHS?). How about import duty and procedures?

Any information appreciated, thanks.

Safety, Thailand ? :)

If you think it's ok then fine, CE mark would be better. The stuff I get from China is uncertified but the quality is good and the design matches with the chip manufacturers data.

I've never been charged duty on anything sent regular mail, avoid couriers (FedEx, DHL etc) like the plague.

Great thread guys, thanks!

I'd just add one cautionary note: beware of LED long life claims by manufacturers attempting to justify their exhorbitant pricing. Every LED 'bulb' I've bought for big dollars to date in the US have died easily within the first year - most within a few months - of operation, and did not put out the lumens claimed... <deleted> Chinese rip-off manufacturers and lack of government regulation on their side of the Pond!

As I'd probably burn down the house if I started playing with LEDs, circuit boards & electrons, I went back to fluorescent til there is an above-board LED lamp & fixture industry in place with enough competition to bring down pricing.

If you think it's ok then fine, CE mark would be better. The stuff I get from China is uncertified but the quality is good and the design matches with the chip manufacturers data.

I've never been charged duty on anything sent regular mail, avoid couriers (FedEx, DHL etc) like the plague.

Thanks for the suggestion - why do you say to avoid the major couriers? Maybe I don't really need to ask - my experience with them in China fairly dismal - non-existent tracking, big charges for customs clearance....

Thanks for the suggestion - why do you say to avoid the major couriers? Maybe I don't really need to ask - my experience with them in China fairly dismal - non-existent tracking, big charges for customs clearance....

Yeah, got it in one :)

Thai customs have a deserved reputation as being one of the most corrupt government departments on the planet, the couriers always have to go through the full clearance route which invariably leads to duty, VAT, storage and "miscellaneous charges".

Good thread, thanks for it.

I'm hoping to make extensive (rather than epensive) use of LED lighting in the house we're about to start any moment and recently went to Architect54, a trade show in BKK where I saw quite a lot of LED light fittings. About the most interesting offerings were from a company that trades as the LED Studio and I picked up a 4W three LED "warm white" ES fitting bulb to test out for use in downlight fittings which will be mounted under the soffit to serve as decoration and security. I just tried it and it looks very promising - price at the show was 300 baht so not cheap but I think I'll give it a go. Philips had a booth with some great but very pricey fittings.

They had replacement units for PAR and halogen bulbs in various powers and colours including one that fits a standard ES fitting and comes with a remote to change colour and dim the output.

One question that arises from one of Crossy's posts: with a 3W 240V LED unit (such as the one I just bought) I had assumed that the actual power consumption would be 10% of an old fashioned tungsten bulb or 50% of a 6W Energy saving fluorescent coil. His comparison with a 32W bathroom fluorescent doesn't seem to work like that - can someone explain? I need to be able to do some payback calculations.

LED Studio has branches in Chiang Mai, BKK, Pattaya and Hua Hin. The website is in Thai but one of the principals speaks pretty good English. They obviously have good margins so haggle hard!

Already installed a load of LEDs in my gaff in CM (last year)but they dont have the same output as 50 W Halogen...yet ...however breakthough is now and just bought some of these to try at home here in the smoke and very impressed ..... :D

GU10 High Power LED (20 piece SMD 5050, 320 Lumens, 50 watts equiv.) In Stock

These GU10 bulbs are probably the best LED bulbs available on the market today!

They feature 20 individual SMD (surface mount device) LED's with a clear glass cover which produce a light output comparable to 50 watt halogens bulbs.

They consume only 4 watts of electricity to run, and are available in the traditional warm white, or cool white for feature lighting. These bulbs are manufactured specifically for us and feature "instant on" technology.

Please look at the halogen / LED comparison photograph for this product to see how bright they actually are!

These bulbs require no transformers / LED drivers. They will simply replace any GU10 bulb you may have!

Just ordered a case of the ...wee bit peng....but worth it and we just bring them out in our luggage ...along with the chain saws.... :D

Here at home -Islington we are installing the latest 2 D LED replacements for standard 28w around the Borough...running at @ 12 watts compared to roughly 32 W...not bad ....

Carbon reduction and all that. :)

Incid the company I bought my 4 w from from (and purely by co-incid) is the ad below-google...GU 10 LED etc....on this page.... ;)

Good for outdoor security lighting?

Absolutely, we're looking at LED floodlights for billboards. Long life and low power consumption compared with halogen.

The big issue at present is availability of suitable light fittings. The manufacturers are taking the piss on price at present, OK the LED modules are not cheap, but to try and charge US$200 for a floodlight (without the LED or driver) is just taking the Michael :)

Hi Crossy..timely post..just looking at solar led security lighting for our farm and came across Malaysian co (Scorigin.) Very reasonable priced ...the one unit pictured is 338 Rg.(102 US)...worth a look..

post-36430-0-62593100-1298073091_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you have seen the Led floodlights as shown in the image that are available at an affordable price here in Thailand.I would like to install them as security lights on my house.They are available up to 50 watt.

Anyone experience with the durability of these lights.

post-123217-0-18002100-1300029322_thumb.

post-123217-0-21020100-1300029387_thumb.

Edited by janverbeem

The driver in the bulb I bought from LED Studio (see attached pack) failed after less than 20 hours which was very disappointing. I took it back and they changed it without any fuss but for something rated 20,000 hours and costing 300 baht I'd have hoped for rather more.:angry:

The supplier gives a one year warranty but that's less than half the claimed rating even if you ran it continuously. I intend to have them on around the house for maybe 10 hours a day and would be fairly happy with a real life of 10,000 hours - we'll see how a test with the replacement goes.

post-40471-0-00728400-1300083884_thumb.j