All The Bars Around The Lake On The Darkside Have Been Closed By Police

Mobi

Hmmm. I wonder if this is related to the reported threats (and stepped up security) of the red shirts against both the power grid and water supplies nationwide? They already bombed electricity towers going into Bangkok at Ayathuya (happily they failed to topple the towers but the bombs did go off).

Edited by Jingthing

Stranger and stranger..

Apparently all the Bars starting from No. 1 bar (next to The Terrace) going North towards Pong have been told to close by police.

All those further around the Lake (Rendezvous etc) remain open.

It seems like it's time for Mobi to do some personal investigating....

I will report back later. :)

If this is related to protecting the population from red shirt water contamination, it is good news to hear some action is being taken to prevent it. The red leaders have already threatened to take their actions nationwide. Pattaya being a major city surely won't be immune if it comes to that.

If this is related to protecting the population from red shirt water contamination, it is good news to hear some action is being taken to prevent it. The red leaders have already threatened to take their actions nationwide. Pattaya being a major city surely won't be immune if it comes to that.

And the reason for shutting the bars is presumably so that the red shirts won't have anywhere to get a beer and some cow pat while they're pouring poison into the resevoir so they'll go somewhere else wher the bars are open?

And the reason for shutting the bars is presumably so that the red shirts won't have anywhere to get a beer and some cow pat while they're pouring poison into the resevoir so they'll go somewhere else wher the bars are open?

I really don't know, do you? Maybe they want to control the movement and activity of people in this general area so they can monitor it more effectively. I never said I know for a fact that this bar rumor has anything to do with the red shirts. I do know for a fact there is increased security around power and water supplies in response to the bombings at Ayathuya and the red shirt leaders threats to make this into a national war.

Don't worry it's only for one day of local Elections. Everything open tomorrow as normal.

This only round one, next 4th May from the info on the many large voting posters all the way up and down the road(Nernplubwaan anyway) think there may be 4 altogether but not sure as only checked today when all the bars on NPW closed this afternoon.

Didn't see this yesterday!

Yes indeed, local elections.

All bars in the Nong Prue area have been asked to close from Saturday 6 PM till Sunday midnight, so the local population will not be p*ssed at the election.

So obviously all the Farang owned bars, frequented by foreigners will be closed while all the Thai local Karaoke's will be in full swing.

A small "donation" to some uniformed persons ensures a foreign owned business can remain just as open as the Thai Karaoke around the corner :)

Bars and drinking holes are supposed to be accessible for Thais to.

Due to the elections in Nongprue, the Thais were not allowed to drink alcohol in public places from sarurday 6 p.m to sunday 6 p.m..

So the police gave order to close all the bars and drinking holes during this period.

Unless of course you paid a contribution which allowed you to stay open.

Edited by luckyluke

I really don't know, do you? Maybe they want to control the movement and activity of people in this general area so they can monitor it more effectively. I never said I know for a fact that this bar rumor has anything to do with the red shirts. I do know for a fact there is increased security around power and water supplies in response to the bombings at Ayathuya and the red shirt leaders threats to make this into a national war.

I wasn't having a go at you JT, just trying to suggest the 'logical' thought processes of the people that make decisions.

Remember these are the same people that 'solved' the problem of schoolkids drinking by banning the sale of alcohol between the hours of 2pm and 5pm, 'solved' the problem of work absences due to drunkeness by shutting Walking St. bars at 2pm, proposed to solve Bangkok traffic problems by banning the sale of all new cars, and by not alllowing condos on the skytrain routes to have car parking.

Somewhat belatedly, here is my report.

When I drove around the Lake at around 3.30 p.m. yesterday, I only found two bars that appeared to be closed - Terrace and No.1. All the others, from one end of the lake to the other, were all open.

The closure orders were indeed due to a local election, but seemed to have been directed at only two bars as the others - more than a dozen in all - were operating normally.

By 5.30 P.m. even The Terrace and No. 1 were back open.

TIT :D

BTW, whilst sitting in The Rendezvous, a pick up truck, full of red shirts drove past. I wonder where they were going and what they were up to? :)

Ahh, Jingthing, bless him. Never one to let common sense get in the way of a good red shirt conspiracy theory.

Unless of course the posters here have been paid by Thaksin to claim there were elections in Nong Prue and thus allow their terrorist friends the chance to dump cyanide in the lake. Which seems entirely plausible.

:)

Ahh, Jingthing, bless him. Never one to let common sense get in the way of a good red shirt conspiracy theory.

Unless of course the posters here have been paid by Thaksin to claim there were elections in Nong Prue and thus allow their terrorist friends the chance to dump cyanide in the lake. Which seems entirely plausible.

Don't need any conspiracy theories. The reds have already bombed a major power grid and the government is justifiably concerned they will do so again. They also are concerned about red terror acts against water supplies. Given there is a war on and the reds are using outrageous tactics, I don't get the conspiracy theory dig.