Help Inverter Air Conditioner V Standard Air Conditioner Which One Shall I Buy?

The cassette type would have to be installed between the ceiling joists and also be suspended from the roof trusses by threaded downrods to take the weight of the fan coil unit. A T -bar ceiling with removable tiles would make it easier. Other wise the ceiling would have to be cut to size depending if it was plasterboard or gyproc (trade name)

A lot would depend on how much ceiling space is available, most houses in the tropics with a gable roof have very limited space, as this wasted space anyway.

This would apply to existing houses, on new construction allowance can be made in the design.

From a cost perspective the wall mounted split system is the way to go.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David,

your QLD-Aussie assumptions do NOT apply to Thailand and neither do your cited building restrictions. there is no need to suspend a cassette type indoor unit with threaded downrods. in single story homes the metal frame (to which the gypsum ceiling is fixed) is suspended with several steel bands per m² from the roof steel structure or in case of double story homes the frame is fixed to the concrete ceiling. this frame can hold without problems and without any additional securing one or several cassette units.

David,

your QLD-Aussie assumptions do NOT apply to Thailand and neither do your cited building restrictions. there is no need to suspend a cassette type indoor unit with threaded downrods. in single story homes the metal frame (to which the gypsum ceiling is fixed) is suspended with several steel bands per m² from the roof steel structure or in case of double story homes the frame is fixed to the concrete ceiling. this frame can hold without problems and without any additional securing one or several cassette units.

You are refering to the standard T -bar ceiling with modular tiles 600x600mm and 1200x600mm the framework which is suspended by single 6mm wire hangers. generally at 2metre intervals.

There are limitations on what a T -bar ceiling will support. What is the average weight of these units in Kgs?

You are refering to the standard T -bar ceiling with modular tiles 600x600mm and 1200x600mm the framework which is suspended by single 6mm wire hangers. generally at 2metre intervals.

no i am not and from now on i refuse to discuss the brushstroke an old master used on his paintings with a blind man :)

p.s. i hope my refusal does not violate any OZ building code or trade union agreements :D

Edited by Naam

Some ego-tripped people just can't stop showing how clever they are when in fact they are nothing but fools.

and some people who hail from a country through which the polar circle runs pretend to possess knowledge/experience as far as airconditioning in a tropical country is concerned whereas the "fools" have lived for 35 years in countries like these.

av-11672.gif

Some ego-tripped people just can't stop showing how clever they are when in fact they are nothing but fools.

and some smartàsses who hail from a country through which the polar circle runs pretend they possess knowledge/experience as far as airconditioning in a tropical country is concerned whereas the fools have lived for 36 years in tropical countries.

av-11672.gif

Calm down Naam.

David is only quoting the manufacturers installation manual.

And that's exactly how the unit will be installed in my place, fixed to the concrete soffit of the floor above. (I hope)

is this thread about cooling in Thailand or heating in Tasmania? is there a specific manufacturers installation manual for each of the couple of hundred different countries and building methods? is there a worldwide valid standard how a suspended ceiling is constructed and what load it can take? :)

Calm down Naam.

And that's exactly how the unit will be installed in my place, fixed to the concrete soffit of the floor above. (I hope)

is this thread about cooling in Thailand or heating in Tasmania? is there a specific manufacturers installation manual for each of the couple of hundred different countries and building methods? is there a worldwide valid standard how a suspended ceiling is constructed and what load it can take? :)

YES The manufacturer includes his standard installation manual with the unit, see the attached 2 files of Trane and Daikin. Note the threaded downrods to take the weight of the fan coil unit that David referred to. If you want to install it any other way then it's at your risk.

Yes it's determined by a standard engineering calculation based on the load to be placed on the ceiling and the allowable bearing capacity of the materials the ceiling is made of.

post-51760-1273809761_thumb.jpg

post-51760-1273809797_thumb.jpg

Edited by PattayaParent

Calm down Naam.

YES The manufacturer includes his standard installation manual with the unit, see the attached 2 files of Trane and Daikin. Note the threaded downrods to take the weight of the fan coil unit that David referred to. If you want to install it any other way then it's at your risk.

Yes it's determined by a standard engineering calculation based on the load to be placed on the ceiling and the allowable bearing capacity of the materials the ceiling is made of.

1. The manufacturer includes his standard installation manual with the unit, see the attached 2 files of Trane and Daikin. Note the threaded downrods to take the weight of the fan coil unit that David referred to. If you want to install it any other way then it's at your risk.

2. it's determined by a standard engineering calculation based on the load to be placed on the ceiling and the allowable bearing capacity of the materials the ceiling is made of.

1. then go ahead and hang yours on threaded downrods. mine is a 36k unit, fixed according to my instructions without threaded downrods. to each his own.

2. looks like that means that two plus two equals four.

Back to the topic , My inverter aircon seems to be great thanks for your help most of it drifted quite a lot

Naam you seem to know what your on about thanks :)

i am happy to hear that Rex.

Has anyone had any experience with evaporative airconditioning, manufacturers claim their units for a house will bring the ambient temperature down to 27C. Naam might have some experience here.

that depends on the location. we lived in a house in Baghdad with central evaporative airconditioning cooling the house down to 25ºC at an ambient temperature of 41ºC BUT based on <20% relative humidity. evaporative a/c works great at low cost in desert areas with extremely low humidity. big disadvantage for some people is the continous draft as "air volume out" has to match "air volume in" by 100%. here in Thailand some toys named "evaporative aircons" are sold at prices of 6-8,000 Baht. disadvantage is that every single Baht spent is wasted.

I would like to chime in (hopefully I wont upset anyone by doing so).

I believe (based on my experience) that despite which type of air con unit you go for (Standard/Inverter) that it is vitally important that you get the correct size for the room you are attemtping to cool. Getting an air con unit that is too large (in capacity) or too small will not have the desired effect.

Once the size is correctly established I can confirm that my inverter units are considerably cheaper to run, although much more expensive to purchase initially. Often it would take a number of years (depending on the extent of use) before you break even with running costs.

I find that both of the inverter units I have ran were a slight bit slower in cooling an area initally (on start up) comepared to a similar sized room I have set up with a convential type air con system. Having said that, its only a marginal thing & doesnt concern me.

I feel there are so many variables when considering air conditioning in EVERY application that it certainly pays to have someone that knows what they are doing to look at the situation and advise - NOT just try and sell you the most expensive option.

I have a panasonic inverter unit (6 months old) and have absolutely no complaints about it whatsoever. It was slightly cheaper than the daikin unit but nothing to write home about.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone had any experience with evaporative airconditioning, manufacturers claim their units for a house will bring the ambient temperature down to 27C. Naam might have some experience here.

that depends on the location. we lived in a house in Baghdad with central evaporative airconditioning cooling the house down to 25ºC at an ambient temperature of 41ºC BUT based on <20% relative humidity. evaporative a/c works great at low cost in desert areas with extremely low humidity. big disadvantage for some people is the continous draft as "air volume out" has to match "air volume in" by 100%. here in Thailand some toys named "evaporative aircons" are sold at prices of 6-8,000 Baht. disadvantage is that every single Baht spent is wasted.

Actually, there are many places in Australia where evaporative cooling works very well. Tamworth is one such place.

Of course, such a thing is illadvised for use in Thailand as Doc has pointed out.

Well it seems that unknown to me the missus went and bought inverter airconditioners, although she was originally against the idea, as she was able to get them for the same price as the standard ones.

So the only future problems you face would be fixing any possible 'electronic' failures that may occur.

As for the old type of air con, electronics are not apparent.

I love simplicity :)

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I checked 18000 BTU aircon and i noticed that:

Daikin and Mitsubishi are quite the same price, around 26/28000 thb

Samsung is a lot cheaper, around 22000.

Question, do you think that buying Daikin (i guess it's better than Mitsubishi) rather than Samsung is worth the price difference ?

What would you do ?

Thanks for advice.

Hi,

I checked 18000 BTU aircon and i noticed that:

Daikin and Mitsubishi are quite the same price, around 26/28000 thb

Samsung is a lot cheaper, around 22000.

Question, do you think that buying Daikin (i guess it's better than Mitsubishi) rather than Samsung is worth the price difference ?

What would you do ?

Thanks for advice.

Check out the Panasonic inverter. I am using two of them - 18,000 BTU for a couple of months now.