Airport Rail Link (again Sorry)

Overall we were really impressed and will certainly use this option again - if it's still there. For all the reasons mentioned previously in this thread (relative cost, inconvenience of Makkasan, lack of decent MRT connection), very few people are using the service and it seems like it will have to be scrapped if they want to raise CityLine capacity. What we liked most was the comfort of the train on the Express line compared to the cramped and overcrowded CityLine where we've had to stand for the 20 to 25 mins the last four trips to/from the airport. That was worth 100 baht each though I guess there are only a few who share the willingness to pay more for a more comfortable and slightly faster train vs a taxi or the cheaper and less comfortable CityLine.

I wondered about the wisdom of offering "downtown" airline check-in, as the ones in downtown Tokyo and New York City were eliminated years ago. What's unique about Bangkok that would support such a system that mega-metropolises Tokyo & NYC can't support?

NYC could support downtown check in but until a dedicated rail link from, say, Grand Central is built it does not make much sense for most given the vagaries of transport to the airport.

There is nothing unique about BKK, all would agree that the Check-in facilities are currently too large for what was always going to be a small demand. It is not like Hong Kong where many check in and then go shopping, have meetings or tour around prior to taking the train to the airport. Also, with only two airlines currently offering the service it severely limits the option for many. Another limitation is that the check in is only for Express Line pax which is currently overpriced at 150 baht. 100 baht would make it much more attractive and increase ridership from the current level of around 700 a day and thus check in rates.

However, it will work for a few & demand will gradually increase in the coming years. The most important thing to understand is that the station was built for the future. In 20 years time there whole Makkasan Railyards will be a virtual mini city with many offices, convention centre and condos. Already a couple of condos are being built adjacent to the station and a few new hotels are planned. The station whilst too large now will also be the terminal for all eastern line trains including the planned HSR line to Chonburi and Rayong. Give it a few years to build up.

Edited by Lakegeneve

Another limitation is that the check in is only for Express Line pax which is currently overpriced at 150 baht. 100 baht would make it much more attractive and increase ridership from the current level of around 700 a day and thus check in rates.

I did read in one of last weeks newspapers that the SRT are looking at introducing some promotions to encourage the use of the Express Line.

I am content with the City Line, the very slight longer journey is far outweighed by the journey to Makkasan from my home in Thonglor, which of course is against the direction of my journey. I cannot speak for the added comfort of the Express Line as I have never been on it, but my 15 minute, 30 Baht, journey is fine for me, even with luggage.

I cannot help feeling that Makkasan is a white elephant, but I'm probably wrong as I'm sure it was thoroughly researched before it was built.

I cannot help feeling that Makkasan is a white elephant, but I'm probably wrong as I'm sure it was thoroughly researched before it was built.

Doubtful, as it wouldn't have some of the design faults that it currently has. Like all public infrastructure in Thailand it was over engineered so that some funds would 'leak' into the pockets of a few. However, it was at least built to accomodate planned growth on both lines and as a future Eastern lines terminal. Remember over US$4 billion went into the new airport and it was still built without enough toilets!

Give it a few years.

(I've been reading this 150+ post thread as it's grown, and just skimmed through the past posts and didn't see this info, but please forgive me if it's already been reported!)

I just took the ARL for the first time in a couple months and noticed they've reduced the service frequency on the City Line. When it was a flat fare of B15 for the introductory period, the trains ran every 15 minutes, I thought. Yesterday, I noticed it was posted that between 0900-1700 and between 2000-2400, they only operate every 20 minutes.

I do wish they would put markings on the platform floor indicating where the doors will be so folks can queue up properly, rather than there being a mad scramble once the train arrives, especially when folks are jostling for position with luggage. (Of course, this does not apply at the airport station.)

• 2 weeks later...

New timetable to reflect the above-mentioned reduction in non-peak services which started a few weeks ago. Reportedly due to the fact that a couple of the CityLIne sets are not in 100% condition & suffering from the local climate. SRT is ordering spare parts from Siemens.

From Airport: http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/th/11_time_table/01_time_table_city_line_svb_to_pth.html

To Airport: http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/th/11_time_table/02_time_table_city_line_pth_to_svb.html

• 1 month later...

Two positive changes will be implemented for the Express service from 1 June;

1) The fare will be reduced to 90 baht with a 150 baht return fare (valid for 2 wks) - fares until 31 Dec 2011 when they will be reviewed.

2) The Express service will be extended to Phayathai station to interchange with the BTS - however not for every train.

The fare reduction is a smart move as it was always the case that 150 baht would not attract significant pax. Both measures should double to triple the current number of Express pax from the current ave of 700 a day.

I'll post the new timetable when it becomes available.

Just browsing this thread, and I am sure it will have been covered before, but.......

I enjoy a 2 or 3 break in Bangkok but I am no fan of driving in the city.

Coming down from Buriram it is a good run to the airport. Has anybody considered/tried parking at the airport and taking link to, say, Makkasan for a couple of nights around Sukhumvit.

2) The Express service will be extended to Phayathai station to interchange with the BTS - however not for every train.

That is a very good change. When I use the City Line, there are plenty of people with luggage using the Phaya Thai station. Getting them off of the City Line (where luggage is almost always in the way) and giving them a chance to get a seat (with the jostling for position to get on a train, the people saddled with luggage usually lose first dibs) should make an Express train to/from Phaya Thai a hit. I hope they can work out the logistics to make all the Express trains go to Phaya Thai.

One more minor, simple (I think), improvement would be to put markings on the Phaya Thai platform floor to align with the doors of the train. Currently, with no such markings, people span the entire length of the platform until the train arrives, then there is a mad scramble to line up with a door. If BTS figured it out, so can the ARL. It will keep people from being directly in front of the opening door, blocking egress from the train, as well.

A less simple change would be to add escalators going DOWN from the Phaya Thai platform, to assist those with luggage.

Doubtful, as it wouldn't have some of the design faults that it currently has. Like all public infrastructure in Thailand it was over engineered so that some funds would 'leak' into the pockets of a few. However, it was at least built to accomodate planned growth on both lines and as a future Eastern lines terminal. Remember over US$4 billion went into the new airport and it was still built without enough toilets!

Give it a few years.

Is there any handicapped / wheel chair access? Car park?

Give it a few years.

Is there any handicapped / wheel chair access? Car park?

Yes there is a carpark under the station with direct lift access to the concourse and platforms for both the Express and cityline.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a very good change. When I use the City Line, there are plenty of people with luggage using the Phaya Thai station. Getting them off of the City Line (where luggage is almost always in the way) and giving them a chance to get a seat (with the jostling for position to get on a train, the people saddled with luggage usually lose first dibs) should make an Express train to/from Phaya Thai a hit. I hope they can work out the logistics to make all the Express trains go to Phaya Thai.

One more minor, simple (I think), improvement would be to put markings on the Phaya Thai platform floor to align with the doors of the train. Currently, with no such markings, people span the entire length of the platform until the train arrives, then there is a mad scramble to line up with a door. If BTS figured it out, so can the ARL. It will keep people from being directly in front of the opening door, blocking egress from the train, as well.

A less simple change would be to add escalators going DOWN from the Phaya Thai platform, to assist those with luggage.

The SRTannounced a few months ago that they would install a few more escalators at keystations. Phayathai is one of them (along with Makkasan, Ratchrarop and Ram).As mentioned a few times earlier in the thread, the BTS only had about half thenumber of escalators it currently does when it first opened, it took a fewyears to gradually install the rest. By the end of the year if a few moreescalators are installed along with the pedestrian link to MRT Petchburi, itwill be a big difference. Most likely it will be sometime into next year before these are all done.

I agreewith you on the platform door markings - hopefully that will happen soonerrather than later. FYI, the info counter at the Airport Station has a form onecan complete for complaints, feedback and suggestions

Two positive changes will be implemented for the Express service from 1 June;

1) The fare will be reduced to 90 baht with a 150 baht return fare (valid for 2 wks) - fares until 31 Dec 2011 when they will be reviewed.

Just a reminder that as of today, the Express service fare has been reduced to 90 baht one way and every 2nd Express train now runs to/from Phayathai station - it seems every 30 mins to/from Phayathai.

The new timetable is NOT yet available for the Express service but as soon as it is I'll link it.

One more minor, simple (I think), improvement would be to put markings on the Phaya Thai platform floor to align with the doors of the train.

I used the City Line from Phaya Thai to Suvarnabhumi and back yesterday. There are markings, alebit smallish ones, on the platform in the form of yellow arrows, indicating preferred ingress and egress paths. This was on the north platform. (I understand that sometimes the south platform is used for arriving/departing trains, so I cannot say if these markings exist on that platform.)

The platform at Phaya Thai is relatively narrow, and the stairs down are located at either end of the platform, all of which do little to alleviate a general feeling of congestion, especially given some of the refrigerator-sized luggage people are hauling. The good news is that the train stops for ~ 5 min. so no hurry to get on. Just stand aside and let everyone get off the train and give them paths to the stairs.

Arrived from Udon today with just my backpack so thought I would try the train for a change. Wandered down to B1 and paid 90 baht and waited 15 minutes for the Makkasan Express at 1pm. Took about 12 minutes into town, then down a couple of levels at the deserted station and there was about half a dozen cabs waiting. Got the first one and since they can't u-turn on Ratchadapisek, took the roundabout way back past the station and looped along Makassan, across Petburi and down Soi 3. In the hotel at 1.30 so 30 minutes from getting on the train to getting out of the taxi who used the meter for which he got 70 baht. That's 160 baht and 30 minutes all-in versus whatever rigmarole with expressway tolls, crappy taxis and dubious meter readings. I will do it again when low on baggage.

BTW, it looks like I was one of only two pax on the train trip.

And when TAN network reported the price promotions they also speculated that the Express train might be reduced to an hourly service. That's killed that one off then!

I read that the airport express now goes to Phaya Thai to connect with the sky train is that true?

that would make life easy.

Yes, look at post #163

Of course the City Line has always done so, it's cheaper, doesn't take much longer though is busier.

Took the express from Phyatai yesterday. Runs every half hour. Nonstop. Excellent!

How is the Express Line train handled at Phaya Thai? On the south platform?

I guess if you just miss the Express Line at Phaya Thai you're looking at 44 min. so the City Line would be faster. But I assume you cannot change at that point?

Worth the extra money just for the comfortable seat!

I have never ridden the Express Line, are the seats different? Is the 4th car used for passengers?

Took the express from Phyatai yesterday. Runs every half hour. Nonstop. Excellent!

I thought the Express trains all stopped/terminated in Makkasan. You mean the Express Train from Phaya Thai doesn't even stop at Makkasan? That's great!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Express trains all stopped/terminated in Makkasan. You mean the Express Train from Phaya Thai doesn't even stop at Makkasan? That's great!

The Express service does not stop at Makkasan as the Express line is not connected to the Cityline tracks to Phayathai, they terminate on the east side of Makkasan station, Thus, if the service will be regularised from 1 Jan 12, (which it should given that Express pax numbers have nearly doubled in the first 5 days of operation and assuming the SRT maintains the current discounted pricing regime), then the tracks will need to be connected. Then all trains can run to/from Phayathai with a stop at Makkasan (including for baggage loading for those 6 pax checking in a the CAT each day ;) ).

Pax numbers for the Express from 1-5 June averaged 1250 a day up from the previous 770 ave. a day. In a few months time an ave. number of 2.5-3 times the previous ave. seemed achievable.

The new timetables are finally up on the SRT Airport Line website but but still only available on the Thai side of the site. However, all timetables are in English; http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/th/index.html

There are now weekday and weekend timetables so in all there are 5 timetables for the Cityline and 8 for the two Express options.

Basically, the Cityline follows the previous timetable of an ave. 15min headway during peak and a 20 min headway off-peak. (With a few extra Hua Mark monring peak trains).

The two Expresses are 30 min headway from/to Phayathai all day and a 40 min headway from/to Makkasan. Phayathai dep. times are easy to remember being on the hour and half hour but Makkasan you'll need to check to ensure you get there on time (or just take the next Cityline).

I was at the airport a few days ago and as I was walking towards the City Line ticket office there was a Thai guy, with a SRT badge, approaching foreigners trying to persuade them to use the Express Line, explaining the new price and that it now goes to Phayathai.

The two Expresses are 30 min headway from/to Phayathai all day and a 40 min headway from/to Makkasan. Phayathai dep. times are easy to remember being on the hour and half hour but Makkasan you'll need to check to ensure you get there on time (or just take the next Cityline).

How are Express trains handled at Phaya Thai? On the South platform?

Just trying to figure out how they direct City Line pax and Express Line pax from the concourse.

For example from Phaya Thai you have an Express train departing 06:00 and a City train departing at 06:01, so I assume they are using both platforms, and passengers somehow 'directed' to the appropriate platform.

Rode the Express into Makkasan at 9.15pm. Lot's more pax but nobody seemed to know where the taxi's are to be had as there's no signage. However, this is my second trip so being an expert, I got to the ONLY taxi waiting first! The others looked crestfallen (apart from the ones that looked daggers at me). Apartment is less that 10 mins straight up Ratchadapisek. From train departure to apartment door in 22 minutes and 135 baht. Result!!

Edited by NanLaew

Rode the Express into Makkasan at 9.15pm. Lot's more pax but nobody seemed to know where the taxi's are to be had as there's no signage. However, this is my second trip so being an expert, I got to the ONLY taxi waiting first! The others looked crestfallen (apart from the ones that looked daggers at me). Apartment is less that 10 mins straight up Ratchadapisek. From train departure to apartment door in 22 minutes and 135 baht. Result!!

With ONLY one taxi I'm not sure that is a ringing endorsement? Obviously good for you, but I wonder how long others had to wait? It would suck if you had to schlep out to Ratchada/Asoke to flag down a taxi.

With ONLY one taxi I'm not sure that is a ringing endorsement? Obviously good for you, but I wonder how long others had to wait? It would suck if you had to schlep out to Ratchada/Asoke to flag down a taxi.

Fuller express last night.... when it finally showed up about 40 minutes after buying a ticket. No taxis were waiting at the city end but 5 pax were for about 15 minutes so last night's travel experience was piss poor compared with the past few days..

But... the cutie ahead of me in the taxi line was only going as far as the soi before mine so I suggested we share and I would pay (company reimbursible). She agreed and I got her phone number.

Roundabouts and swings.