Tt&T - 3Bb Broadband -

LukDod

I've been using TT&T aka 3BB broadband for nearly 6-years.

Other than a few problems, I've generally been quite happy with their service.

I've a 3mb/1mb Premier account which usually provides up to 350-450Kbs d/loads and upload to 110Kbs.

Recently, primarily when downloading torrents, the speed have dropped to a snail pace of 15-60Kbs !!

Some local friends, who previously worked for IBM and US telecoms informed me

that they too are experiencing the same problem and that the problem is that...

TT&T - 3BB is evidently now LIMITING your download speeds, primarily when downloading torrents.

Hence, you are now NOT getting the service you are paying for.

can anyone who is currently using CAT's or Sophon's broadband service give me their opinions of the service

and reliability of the speeds they are experiencing?

thanks!

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary comment about the provider edited

I actually switched from CAT to 3BB (ne: TT&T) a few months ago. It's been an interesting experience.

First of all, CAT was charging me about 2200 baht per month! The 3BB "Premier" account, as you know, is 1160 per month. Major difference there!

For the first months, the 3BB service was outstanding. I was consistently getting speeds in the area of 2.5 Mbs! Like you, I download a lot of torrents (for American TV and movies, in my case). I also spend quite a bit of time playing internet games (Mafia Wars addict!). Both were operating very well, although not simultaneously, since my torrent download tool really slows any other internet activity to a crawl.

Somewhere around 2 months ago, this level of service began to steadily decline. I began to have several disconnects throughout the day. Initially, they were all for just a minute or less. During that early period, my speeds remained high when the connection was on. However, over time, both the length of time of the disconnects, and the D/L speeds worsened. I began calling 3BB when the connections were off for more than a couple of minutes; and when the speeds were intolerably slow for an extended period of time. It got to the point where they recognized my account immediately when I called.

The greatest irritation has been the fact that they promise, on every call, that a technician will call me back. I have called, by my estimate, a total of about 40 times over the past 2 months. Not ONCE has anyone called back!!

Often, too often for it to be a coincidence, IMO, my stern call would be followed by a miraculoous upgrade in my speed, with no disconnects for several hours. This pattern continues. Periods of good and consistent service; interrupted by periods of frequent disconnnects and slow speeds.

Since this IS Thailand, I sincerely suspect that the following has happened. The big push for expansion by the "new and improved" TT&T - 3BB, has overwhelmed the lines they have in to support their customers. They have responded by intermittently switching those with "Premier" service to lines with more users. That, IMO, is the reason why service, at times, goes to the dogs! They are, in other words, literally not providing us with the service for which we've subscribed, at various times of the day.

I know of no way for we users to substantiate this theory. I know that I would definitely NOT return to CAT, at double the cost of 3BB, since I had even worse disconnect and slow speed problems with them for over a year!

I think we are simply screwed by the fact that ... well ... TIT!!!

you DO get what you pay for, just check the fineprint of your contract. There is something about torrents. I actually have no problems, also on TT&T and downloading full throttle most of the time.

I've a 3mb/1mb Premier account which usually provides up to 350-450Kbs d/loads and upload to 110Kbs.

You are subscribing to a service that should give you 3000Kbs D/L and are happy with the usual up to 350-450Kbs??

You should be complaining about the usual best speed that you get. It is only at best 15% of what you are paying for. It is generally accepted that you will only get 50% usually, but 15% is terrible!

You are subscribing to a service that should give you 3000Kbs D/L and are happy with the usual up to 350-450Kbs??

You should be complaining about the usual best speed that you get. It is only at best 15% of what you are paying for. It is generally accepted that you will only get 50% usually, but 15% is terrible!

A line speed of 5mbps gives me a download speed of 634KB/sec check your facts, so for an advertised 3kbps 350-450 KB/sec is good. Just use the broadband speed check provided by Thaivisa

A line speed of 5mbps gives me a download speed of 634KB/sec check your facts, so for an advertised 3kbps 350-450 KB/sec is good. Just use the broadband speed check provided by Thaivisa

What do you mean? "Check your facts" !!

Yes, I agree that 350-450 KiloBytes/second would be good, but that is not what the OP said. He said that he was getting 350-450 Kilobits/second, which is average of 50 KiloBytes /second.

Check your facts :rolleyes:

It might be a daft question but have you got lots of seeds/peers I was downloading yesterday at 500+ kB/s with a couple of thousand seeds, but today with less than 100 seed/peers I'm getting less than 50

Also have you opened a port and have lots of half open connections (default on XP is only 20)

If you understand the differences of bits and bytes, then you'll know that the advertised-speed of 3 Mb (not MB) which is 3072 / 8 = 384 KB/s. 350-450 KB/s is about right, is it ?

I'm using their 7Mb package and downloading at about 750 KB/s whistling.gif

If you understand the differences of bits and bytes, then you'll know that the advertised-speed of 3 Mb (not MB) which is 3072 / 8 = 384 KB/s. 350-450 KB/s is about right, is it ?

I'm using their 7Mb package and downloading at about 750 KB/s whistling.gif

Yes, I understand the basic difference between bits and bytes.

The OP didn't say that he was getting a usual 350-450 KB/s, he said 350-450 Kb/s

450 KB/s would be extraordinary and fantastic as it is higher than the advertised speed of 3 Mb/s!

Yes, I agree that 3BB is now limiting torrents downloads. I have 6Mbps package. I normally get downloads of between 650Kbps and 720Kbps with utorrent. Speedtest shows 5.73Mbps local and 5.89Mbps international (USA). My download speed right now with utorrent is between 20 and 26Kbps. Speedtest with my proxy server shows 0.11Mbps local and 0.33Mbps international. I also notice today that my ISP was changed to 180.183.23.180 normally it is 117.xxx.xx.xxx or 112.xxx.xx.xxx. I wondering if changing packages or Internet provider will help.

Greg

Yes, I agree that 3BB is now limiting torrents downloads. I have 6Mbps package. I normally get downloads of between 650Kbps and 720Kbps with utorrent.

Utorrent version 2.0.1 have some probleme with download speed, check in option - advanced "net.calc_overhead" have to be false, version 2.0.2 have false by default

Yes, I agree that 3BB is now limiting torrents downloads. I have 6Mbps package. I normally get downloads of between 650Kbps and 720Kbps with utorrent.

Utorrent version 2.0.1 have some probleme with download speed, check in option - advanced "net.calc_overhead" have to be false, version 2.0.2 have false by default

My current version is 2.02.

Edited by Thaigreg

Yes, I agree that 3BB is now limiting torrents downloads. I have 6Mbps package. I normally get downloads of between 650Kbps and 720Kbps with utorrent. Speedtest shows 5.73Mbps local and 5.89Mbps international (USA). My download speed right now with utorrent is between 20 and 26Kbps. Speedtest with my proxy server shows 0.11Mbps local and 0.33Mbps international. I also notice today that my ISP was changed to 180.183.23.180 normally it is 117.xxx.xx.xxx or 112.xxx.xx.xxx. I wondering if changing packages or Internet provider will help.

Greg

Started an internet around 7:30 last night and around 8.00 I decided to try downloading again with utorrent. Right away I noticed my download speeds (650Kbps - 720Kbps)were back to normal. Checking my internet connecting settings I saw that my IP address had changed back to 112.xxx.xx.xxx (Chonburi) and not 180.183.23.180 (Bangkok) This morning my connecting IP address is 117.47.157.55 (Bangkok). I'm currently downloading a file that started at 212Kbps for a couple of minutes and then jumped to as high as 700Kbps and now is downloading at 498. So things seem to be back to normal.

Greg

...snipped...Started an internet around 7:30 last night and around 8.00 I decided to try downloading again with utorrent. Right away I noticed my download speeds (650Kbps - 720Kbps)were back to normal. Greg

I was guilty of being the OP who posted what may have been a _false_ alarm about TT&T/3BB.

For the last 2-weeks my d/load speeds had been very slow. At the time, friends indicated they were capping torrent d/loads.

Evidently the latter were ill informed.

Well, like Greg, and having called TT&T tech people, my torrent and other d/load speeds are now back to normal.

Apparently, whatever the problem was, it has now been resolved.

With apologies to TT&T :rolleyes: