I Want To Buy Mu First Bike Or Scooter In Thailand.

McGovern

First of all: I don t consider myself as a biker. In fact I don’t even have a drivers license for a motorbike. I have for a cars & trucks.

I have been in Thailand 50+ times and in Laos 20+. I am married to a Laos Lady. Whenever we are in Thailand I always rent a small motorbike or scooter to come easy around, but It has its limits. I have rented many bikes in Pattaya in taken as far away as Kohn Chang. But I want to go further. Be independent and continue into either Cambodia or Laos without restriction. On my own bike.

I find this site very helpful but I have some question though:

To buy a motorbike in Thailand with the option to go to Laos I have figured out that I need a 3 month non immigration visa and a permanent address in Thailand. The visa is the easy part as I have my own company and have done several business trip to Bangkok, purchasing T-shirts, jeans etc. How do I get a permanent address then. I always stay at a hotel in Bangkok 7 days when I am in Bangkok for……… 7 days. Is that what they consider as a permanent address or do I just find a bargirl or what ???? That permanent address in Thailand ( for up to 3 month) is that something I should tell some authorities in Thailand or the Danish embassy in Bangkok ? ( I am Danish)

When that is done I need to make my purchase of a small bike or scooter. So I go to a Honda, Yamaha or whatever dealer, find something that suits me, and then what ? Do they have fixed price like in Denmark or do you have to bargain with them ? To knock off some money or extra helmet or gold or insurance or what? I think I will buy something New.

When we have agreed on a price and have to make all the documents, how long will it take for me to get that famous green book saying, that I am the owner of the bike? Do I need something else, from some office in Thailand? And how long does it take to make that book ?

This is, even that I consider Thailand & Laos my second home, new territory for me. I have made business in Thailand for many years and to be honest: I don’t just trust them very much !

I am thinking about going later this month or start of September and then buy a small bike or a scooter (price 40000-60000) drive along and then sell it before going back to Denmark. How much will it loose value in 1 month with 2000-3000 km. And where will I sell it ??

Many questions J Any good advice to me is more than welcome.

Best regards from rainy Denmark.

If its just for a month, rent one..

Buying new, it can take many months for the plate to be issued, and you wont leave Thailand on a red plate (to cambo etc).. buyng second hand it would be plated.

If your thinking of cambo / Laos I would make sure to buy a simple manual, not an auto, stronger for the rougher conditions, easier to repair etc. Also I seem to remember that while its possible to get bikes into Laos (only at some entry points, not the friendship brides) that they only let in big bikes as they dont want swams of Thais on little scooters crossing the borders. What the precise rules are and confirmation of that, GT-Rider is the site to ask.

yeah rent probably better if just for 1 month. a few thousand baht and none of the hassle. even for a few months, it's the better option. or is this just for border crossings?

research border crossings on bikes. it can be done, but it's extremely tedious with the amount of paperwork on both the thai and the lao side of the border.

i got my plates in chiang mai after 2 weeks or so, but it really depends on where you do it, some offices take very long. for the address, get a guest house or a friendly thai to make up a long term rental contract for you.

A new bike can not be taken out of the country before its been registered and recieved white plates. Takes 15-90 days depending on when the dealer pays bike to manufactorer and apply for registration. Registration in itself is done in one day, but most dealers delay this to keep your cash as long as possible avoiding paying bike and taxes needed for registration.

One month and 3k km, you would probably loose 15k baht on a private sale, if you can find a buyer.

So good advice has been given, rent for a months use

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers. My first thought was to rent a bike in Pattaya.

Can someone then recomend me a place where i can rent a small scooter or bike (max 250cc) and be able to leave pattaya and Thailand on it ? With all the right papers done correct. I will for sure want to go to Laos on it.

Alternativ is a shop in Chiang Mai if anybody know a shop that can provide my request.

Thanks