Captive Bear - The "Grizzly" Truth

sharecropper

With apologies for ripping off your attention-grabbing headline style, I am posting this here because:

1. It isn’t strictly a Pattaya or Thailand issue, but you seem to have latitude on this forum, and I don’t want the post lost in an obscure Laos forum.

2. I am happy for you to give it some publicity and

3. You may also have connections who you could refer me to.

I was recently on a trip to The Golden Triangle with a mate, when we stopped at an island in Laos, called Don Sao, where they have a captive young bear, tucked away, living in squalid conditions in a filthy litter-strewn cage, and not a tourist attraction at all.

The locals told us to buy it orange juice in cartons to give it something to drink, which it guzzled down in seconds. I don't think it is properly looked after or fed.

I am copying a few photos so you can have a look, and would ask you or anyone else if they have any constructive suggestions about what I could do about this, short of launching a commando raid (I mean militarily, not in my undies) to improve its living conditions or bring it to the attention of someone who could help it?

post-22250-061594400 1287726252_thumb.jp

post-22250-055294100 1287726267_thumb.jp

post-22250-032715500 1287726355_thumb.jp

post-22250-015372100 1287726368_thumb.jp

post-22250-062044200 1287726385_thumb.jp

post-22250-090984700 1287726402_thumb.jp

Horrific, i didn't even look at the Pics..

I hate people sometimes, a lot of the time..

Here we go Mate..

I would get involved personally if you needed any help, 100%..

http://www.bearlao.com/laosbears.htm

Edit : I looked at the Pictures, it's a Sun Bear by the looks of it.. & on another note, i'm off to California & the Pacific Northwest next week & have a couple of Bear Sanctuary's on the list....

Edited by MSingh

SADLY the whole bleeding 3rd world is full of this sort of madness - makes my blood boil.

The current "owner" might be holding onto to it to a get a decent price from a some stinking 3rd world zoo.

You could get into a lot of local bother even if you raise awareness to some charity that might want to remove the bear.

But where do you take a semi domesticated bear?....to another cage....very hard to re-habilitate.

Be very careful handling this bear or giving it food - it could scratch you - Bears carry TETANUS...a friend of my fathers had a "pet" Sun bear in India and he died after getting scratched when it is was a youngster.

I wish I could be of more help. Hopefully someone connected to a decent animal welfare charity will come on TV and give some info.

I was at Chiang Saen last week but didn't go to that island. I pity the poor bear.

I didn't really like the place much although the views were great. I thought it was a typical Thai tourist trap - a nice place with great views, good air and natural beauty destroyed by the rows of shops selling (very cheap) tat, huge Buddha statues (one where you could roll coins into its stomach and it would bellow "Ha, ha ha, Happy Buddha!") and other over-ornate creations.

Not worth a second visit.

Thanks for sharing this story. I really hate mistreatment of animals so I will look into this a bit and get back to you.

Howard

Thanks for your PM Howard, and for the replies above.

The most recommended place for assistance with captive bears seems to be the one MSingh and Howard recommended - they run the Laos bear sanctuary, and their website is - http://www.freethebears.org.au/

They seem to be active all over South East Asia, so I will get in touch with them. If this bear ends up in the Laos sanctuary I will be very happy.

Now I'm off to squander my karma.

Thanks again.