The Ashes

uptheos

It doesn't seem like 2 years ago that Blinky Bill and I were having a tet a tet over The Ashes.

Where are you BB, we need to get going again!

But hey, doesn't time move along and here we are again with The Ashes series nearly here.

I expect BB to be along at some point, but in the meantime where's the best place to watch it?

The last series, Tuskers was a good place, but I found that The UN Irish pub had the edge. Of course, now there's high definition and if it's being shown on the UN Irish Pub's 50" HD screen, then that's where I'll be camped out.

I'm presuming it is being shown?

2010-11 Ashes Test series dates:

First Test: 25-29 November, 2010 (Brisbane)

Second Test: 3-7 December, 2010 (Adelaide)

Third Test: 16-20 December, 2010 (Perth)

Fourth Test: 26-30 December, 2010 (Melbourne)

Fifth Test: 3-7 January, 2011 (Sydney)

Edited by uptheos

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is "The Ashes" a rugby or a cricket event? I could understand the interest if it's rugby, but if it's cricket why wouldn't you just rather watch baseball? A more evolved game without those stupid wickets? You'll never catch a baseball player wearing a sweater.

Even the most uninformed know that The Ashes is cricket's most celebrated rivalry and dates back to 1882.rolleyes.gif

I know about the World Series, which includes baseball teams from all over the world as long as they come from America. wink.gif

Baseball has a 'wicket' but you call it a plate and the wicket is invisible to all but the guy wearing the mask you can hardly see through and the SWAT vest, who has to make a call if the ball hit the invisible wicket or not. blink.gif

OK, so who is showing it?

Baseball is rounders for girls.

Don't even start to compare it with a test match.

You tell the wife "I'm just off to watch the match and I'll be back when it's over" and go on a five day drinking binge without breaking your word.

Baseball is shit sausages, piss weak beer and commercial breaks.

I'm guessing it's on Astro, but without Supersport in CM you may be buggered.

Last resort is an online feed, or listen to the audio on the beeb, with talk of cakes and ornithology.

You tell the wife "I'm just off to watch the match and I'll be back when it's over" and go on a five day drinking binge without breaking your word.

Last resort is an online feed, or listen to the audio on the beeb, with talk of cakes and ornithology.

Your assessment of cricket compared to baseball is a good one and I really like the idea of telling the wife I'll be home after the match. biggrin.gif

Hopefully, there will be more information coming forward regarding screening, but if I have to listen to it on BBC, it won't be the first time or hardship and cricket lends itself to radio commentary with a good team. Who can ever forget that England v West Indies series, when the commentator said "the batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey" and then they all cracked up.

Happy Days!!

Just received an email from The UN Irish Pub and they are showing it. biggrin.gif

Here's their schedule from 23rd - 30th November, which includes other events.

Good old Sandy, I knew he wouldn't let me down. thumbsup.gif

NOTE: In the follow up email it states the following

The 1st test of the Ashes runs Thursday to Monday, not Friday to Tuesday as I had in the previous email. So it starts on the 25th, not 26th, please adjust the times.

Events at the UN Irish Pub: 23 – 30/11/10

BOLD & ITALIC ITEMS WILL BE SHOWN WHEN POSSIBLE. OTHER ITEMS MAY NOT BE.

Tue 23rd 8:30am NFL – Denver @ San Diego (108/111) Live

11:00pm Test Cricket – India v New Zealand 2nd Test (NeoC)

6:00pm NFL – NY Giants @ Philadelphia (108) ®

7:30pm EPL - Sunderland v Everton 23/11 (101/111)

8:30pm NFL – Denver @ San Diego (108) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Irish Country with Mac & Mel

9:30pm NFL – Denver @ San Diego (103) ®

9:00pm Tennis – ATP World Tour Finals (StarI/104)

10:00pm EPL – Arsenal v Tottenham 20/11 (111) ®

10:30pm EPL – Birmingham v Chelsea 20/11 (101) ®

11:00pm UFC - #123 (108) ®

Wed 24th 10:00am NHL – Pittsburgh @ Florida (108) ®

11:00am Test Cricket – India v New Zealand (NeoC)

7:00pm NCAA – Purdue @ Michigan State (108) ®

7:30pm EPL – Liverpool v West Ham 20/11 (111) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Open Mic Hosted by Lindsay

9:00pm Tennis – ATP World Tour Finals (StarI/104)

9:30pm NCAA – Oklahoma State @ Kansas (108) ®

10:00pm NFL – Denver @ San Diego (111) ®

10:30pm EPL - Man U v Wigan 20/11 (101)

12:00am UFC (108) ®

Thu 25th 6:00pm NCAA – Purdue @ Michigan State (108) ®

7:30pm EPL – Arsenal v Tottenham 20/11 (101) ®

7:30pm EPL – Fulham v Man City 21/11 (111) ®

8:30pm Quiz Night – 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Triers' Prizes

8:30pm NHL – Detroit @ Atlanta (108) ®

9:00pm Tennis – ATP World Tour Final (StarI/104)

Fri 26th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England (StarC)

8:00am NFL – Cincinnati @ NY Jets (108) Live

2:30pm NFL – New Orleans @ Dallas (108) ®

6:00pm NFL – Cincinnati @ NY Jets (108) ®

8:30pm NFL – New England @ Detroit (108) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Irish Ceilidh Band 'The Itinerants'

9:00pm Tennis – ATP World Tour Final (StarI/104)

11:00pm UFC (108) ®

11:00pm EPL – Liverpool v West Ham 20/11 (101) ®

Sat 27th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England (StarC)

6:00pm NCAA – Auburn @ Alabama (108) ®

7:45pm EPL – Aston Villa v Arsenal (101/111)

8:30pm NCAA – UCLA @ Arizona State (108) ®

9:30pm Rugby – England v South Africa

10:00pm EPL – Man U v Blackburn (101/111)

10:00pm EPL – Stoke v Man City

11:00pm UFC – (108) ®

12:15am Rugby – Wales v New Zealand

Sun 28th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England (StarC)

12:00pm NHL – Dallas @ St. Louis (108) ®

2:00pm NHL – Chicago @ Los Angeles (108) ®

4:00pm NCAA – Oklahoma State @ Kansas State (108) ®

6:30pm NCAA – LSU @ Arkansas (108) ®

8:30pm EPL – Newcastle v Chelsea (101/111)

9:00pm NCAA – Oregon State @ Stanford (108) ®

9:30pm Rugby – Ireland v Argentina

10:00pm Aviva Rugby – Harlequins v Leeds (Euro)

11:00pm EPL – Tottenham v Liverpool (101/111)

Mon 29th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England (StarC)

8:15am NFL – San Diego @ Indianapolis (108) Live

12:00pm NFL – Green Bay @ Atlanta (108) ®

2:30pm NFL – Kansas City @ Seattle (108) ®

5:00pm NFL – Minnesota @ Washington (108) ®

7:30pm NFL – Philadelphia @ Chicago (108) ®

10:00pm NFL – San Diego @ Indianapolis (108) ®

Tue 30th 7:00am The Ashes – Australia v England (StarC)

8:30am NFL – San Francisco @ Arizona (108) Live

6:00pm NFL – San Diego @ Indianapolis (108) ®

8:30pm NFL – San Francisco @ Arizona (108) ®

8:30pm Live Music – Irish Country with Mac & Mel

11:00pm UFC - #112 (108) ®

Edited by uptheos

Your assessment of cricket compared to baseball is a good one and I really like the idea of telling the wife I'll be home after the match. biggrin.gif

Hopefully, there will be more information coming forward regarding screening, but if I have to listen to it on BBC, it won't be the first time or hardship and cricket lends itself to radio commentary with a good team. Who can ever forget that England v West Indies series, when the commentator said "the batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey" and then they all cracked up.

I tried the cricket viewing once (OK more than once) and it bored me to f'ing tears. Is the allure that you don't know any other sports or that you may have played it as children? Do only people who didn't play the game as children see it as terribly gay?

Now I'll grant you that baseball is not what it once was. I stopped watching myself when reporters started giving out players saleries before their batting averages or ERA's. I'll also grant you that the "World Series" title seems a tad imperialistic given that the Central and South American, Caribbean, Taiwanese, Japanese and Pacific Islanders are not eligible to play, though it is also THEIR national sport. Anyway, i hope you all enjoy your matches.

I tried the cricket viewing once (OK more than once) and it bored me to f'ing tears. Is the allure that you don't know any other sports or that you may have played it as children? Do only people who didn't play the game as children see it as terribly gay?

Now I'll grant you that baseball is not what it once was. I stopped watching myself when reporters started giving out players saleries before their batting averages or ERA's. I'll also grant you that the "World Series" title seems a tad imperialistic given that the Central and South American, Caribbean, Taiwanese, Japanese and Pacific Islanders are not eligible to play, though it is also THEIR national sport. Anyway, i hope you all enjoy your matches.

Actually, I never miss The World Series if possible.........but it's just not cricket old chap. smile.gif

Who can ever forget that England v West Indies series, when the commentator said "the batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey" and then they all cracked up.

"There Will Always Be An England". :lol: :jap: :)

Who can ever forget that England v West Indies series, when the commentator said "the batsman's Holding, the bowlers Willey" and then they all cracked up.

Top hole old boy smile.gif

For those who might not 'get' the commentator's remarks. It was made just as the great West Indian pace bowler Michael Holding was preparing to bowl to Peter Willey. The way the commentator said it was priceless.......you couldn't write it.

What channel is slow pitch on so I can avoid it.

Slow Pitch? That's for the over 40, obese, alcoholics. That said, if you fit any of the criteria it can be fun to play, though it must be excruciating to watch without suitable fortification.

That over 40 hast to be 95% of the posters on this forum.:lol:

What channel is slow pitch on so I can avoid it.

Slow Pitch? That's for the over 40, obese, alcoholics. That said, if you fit any of the criteria it can be fun to play, though it must be excruciating to watch without suitable fortification.

That over 40 hast to be 95% of the posters on this forum.:lol:

What the heck is Slow Pitch anyway?

It is not THEIR national sport (ignoring the fact that you have actually named only two nations of which Sumo is the national sport of one).

Central and South America nations are dominated by football (the real one that is). The Caribbean, with the exception of Cuba and possibly the DR is a cricket playing region. The Pacific Islands are for the most part rugby playing nations.

You'd have a great world competition really though, I can see it now... The USA beats Nicaragua, Puerto Rico and Chinese Taipei on their way to retaining the championship for the 58th straight year...

Edited by OOB

Top hole old boy smile.gif

For those who might not 'get' the commentator's remarks. It was made just as the West Indian pace bowler Michael Holding was preparing to bowl to Peter Willey. The way the commentator said it was priceless.......you couldn't write it.

Sorry, got that the wrong way around. jap.gif

It was Peter Willey preparing to bowl to Michael Holding.

Spotted Blinky Bill at Souvannaphoum yesterday. Was waving enthusiatically down the causeway but was Blinkered Bill! Ended up looking like a pillock!

Sorry I missed you, dear. Usually never go too slow at airports.

I'm looking forward to seeing Australia flog the poms in another series of humiliating defeats like 4 years ago (just can't remember what happened 2 years ago though).

Spotted Blinky Bill at Souvannaphoum yesterday. Was waving enthusiatically down the causeway but was Blinkered Bill! Ended up looking like a pillock!

Sorry I missed you, dear. Usually never go too slow at airports.

I'm looking forward to seeing Australia flog the poms in another series of humiliating defeats like 4 years ago (just can't remember what happened 2 years ago though).

cheesy.gif

You made it!!

Is "The Ashes" a rugby or a cricket event? I could understand the interest if it's rugby, but if it's cricket why wouldn't you just rather watch baseball? A more evolved game without those stupid wickets? You'll never catch a baseball player wearing a sweater.

Baseball?? That's what we call softball in Australia. Cricket players don't wear sweaters, they are jumpers.

Baseball?? That's what we call softball in Australia. Cricket players don't wear sweaters, they are jumpers.

Yeah, love to see a baseball player fielding in the slips to Brett Lee.......without gloves!! laugh.gif

Yeah, love to see a baseball player fielding in the slips to Brett Lee.......without gloves!! laugh.gif

They would be laying on the ground with thier hands covering thier heads. Just imagine them fielding at silly point.

The Aussies are at thier weakest they have been for decades but should still take care of the poms and send the Barmy Army home with thier feet in thier mouths. Love the ashes series.

I was in Mila Mila, Qld, when we got whitewashed!!

You can imagine how I suffered down the pub....those Aussie mates took no prisoners..... scarred me for life! crying.gif