Ducati: New Factory In Thailand

MrYogi

You know, that's about the only reason I could think of to move back to the US- CHEAP bikes! Unfortunately will all the cops it kind of takes the fun out of riding though...

True, but there are more, and nicer tracks. Granted not at 1000 baht a day (more like 15,000)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, that's about the only reason I could think of to move back to the US- CHEAP bikes! Unfortunately will all the cops it kind of takes the fun out of riding though...

That and cars.. My brothers whose back there for a few months sent me a link last night.. Porsche 911 (996) twin turbo.. FSH.. Looking so slick.. 30k GBP so about the price of a Fortuna !!

I miss my cars, but just dont have the roads to justify it..

Because I am older than a lot of you guys I remember when Ducati meant : leaking oil, burnt out clutches, Dellorto carbs (hard to tune) and long waits for parts from the factory! Has anything changed? :whistling:

Because I am older than a lot of you guys I remember when Ducati meant : leaking oil, burnt out clutches, Dellorto carbs (hard to tune) and long waits for parts from the factory! Has anything changed? :whistling:

I have read and heard from Ducati owners that these days the required servicing is less expensive and less frequent, especially the scheduled valve adjustments.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I have read and heard from Ducati owners that these days the required servicing is less expensive and less frequent, especially the scheduled valve adjustments.

Less frequent less. Less expensive? In Thailand??? Absolutely not! B)

ducatiposter.jpg

Just saw a 1098 (?) Corse and a 1198R Corse around the Cafe here in Chiang Mai. And once again - this always happens when there's some super top end bike is parked here - none other than Paradorn jumped on the 1198. Should have taken a picture...

• 4 weeks later...

Ducati's seem to sell well in Thailand at their current inflated prices, so perhaps, like Triumph with their Thai BOI factory, this will benefit the company with larger margins and lower labor costs but not the consumers with lower prices?

Its not going to be easy for Ducati to pull a kwaker.

Ducati uses european suppliers, most of them not present as makers in LOS, thus parts need to be imported. While the japs bikes uses japs parts made in LOS, same suppliers as the car industry who have been here for decades.

To qualify for the low kwaker taxis, 70-80% of the bikes parts must be LOS made

Ducatis LOS operation is most likely to be similar as Triumph, duty free "import" of parts to their factory in a BOI zone, but still considered an imported bike when sold in LOS. IOW no change in Thai retail price

Yes correct. Eventually Ducati will not sell its bikes for much less then today's prices in LOS. And as Tony said, "they sell good so why change much"

I belive Ducati only make the frame and engine in Italy. All other parts are imported mainly from Italy and Germany. I doubt that many parts will come from Thailand in the future so it will be difficult to qualify as Made In Thailand. Therefor only assemby with some BOI privileges and savings on labor cost.

It will never sell as "cheap" (in comparising) as Kwaker can do here.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know for sure, or heard around the rumor mill, the exact location or at least the city the factory will be located in? Too curious, and want to follow their progress!

Speaking of rumor mills, the AMG buy-out of Ducati is only an undocumented rumor as far as I can find on that great cesspool called the web. Please point out any article that quotes an official, inside-manufacturer source that's not 'anonymous,' because I'd want to be ready to buy the last year of issue superbike pre-buyout so I'd have a real Ducati. Think pre-AMF Harley, for reference.

AMG is only a MotoGP sponsor of Ducati - a tried/true way to gain some cred without really earning it... all it takes is bags of money. Gawd help Ducati if AMG do buy them - I fear we'd start to see blinged out, heavy, pigs of motorcycles with LOTS of shiny badges. completely un-Ducati. I think the Italian boys understand in their gut that the last thing they need is a German bling car partner in marriage.

I'm sure he'll let you 'ride bitch' :lol:

Ok, as long as it's not on the way home from Patong at 3am! :)

You dont like to fly???

No, Not when the landing is Patak Rd and I have no landing gear. lol

-----------------

Some more price comparisons:

Hypomotard 796.......Thailand Price: 590,000 baht ($19,500) US Price: $9,995 (302,000 baht)

Mulstistrada 1200:.......Thailand Price: 985,000 baht ($32,600USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700 baht)

Streetfighter.....Thailand Price: 940,000 ($31,200USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700baht)

1198.....Thailand Price: 1,198,000 baht ($39,900USD) US Price: $16,495usd (498,000baht)

Diavel......Thailand Price: 1,070,000baht ($35,400SD) US Price: $16,995USD (513,000Baht)

12-28-20102-45-47PM.jpg

Ducati-Diavel.jpg

If you think thailand is bad on price, her is the norwegian price on the same bikes:

Hypomotard 796.......Thailand Price: 590,000 baht ($19,500) US Price: $9,995 (302,000 baht) Norway price 780 000 baht

Mulstistrada 1200:.......Thailand Price: 985,000 baht ($32,600USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700 baht) Norway price 1 230 000 s-mod 1440 000 baht t-mod

Streetfighter.....Thailand Price: 940,000 ($31,200USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700baht) norway price 1 230 000 baht

1198.....Thailand Price: 1,198,000 baht ($39,900USD) US Price: $16,495usd (498,000baht) Norway price 1 450 000 baht

Diavel......Thailand Price: 1,070,000baht ($35,400SD) US Price: $16,995USD (513,000Baht) Norway price 1 440 000 baht

Suzuki GSX-R 1000 is 1 140 000 baht Versys 660 000 baht and CBR 250 R is 313 000 baht

And the trafic fines are sky high, driving 20 km faster than the speed limit will set you back 25400 baht, driving on red light 27 900 baht.

Sorry guys, the whole thing is not true... No Ducati is not opening a factory in Thailand...

According to some (massimo.davoli(youknow)ducati.com), "Ducati never had intension to start or incorporated themselves in any production in Thailand"

Sorry guys, the whole thing is not true... No Ducati is not opening a factory in Thailand...

According to some (massimo.davoli(youknow)ducati.com), "Ducati never had intension to start or incorporated themselves in any production in Thailand"

So you're saying that the December 14th report in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica is false?

http://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2010/12/14/news/ducati_apre_lo_stabilimento_in_thailandia_i_sindacati_vogliamo_rassicurazioni-10193024/

:whistling:

So you're saying that the December 14th report in the Italian newspaper La Repubblica is false?

http://bologna.repubblica.it/cronaca/2010/12/14/news/ducati_apre_lo_stabilimento_in_thailandia_i_sindacati_vogliamo_rassicurazioni-10193024/

:whistling:

You correct, several Ducati management have recently traveled to Thailand for holiday. Probably in sharing experiences and what ever... but for Ducati to to move to Thailand we should have BOI records. The board of investments are open for anybody to see... I not believe, by valve, that big company to get a different treatment then Toyota. The only two companies currently I know off who receive protection are AMD and Intel... And likely more because the Board of Investments didn't want to inform Intel they did allowed AMD into the country also...

Anyway you have a email account I give to check what I say... massimo.davoli(changethis)ducati.com

...If you think thailand is bad on price, her is the norwegian price on the same bikes:

Hypomotard 796.......Thailand Price: 590,000 baht ($19,500) US Price: $9,995 (302,000 baht) Norway price 780 000 baht

Mulstistrada 1200:.......Thailand Price: 985,000 baht ($32,600USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700 baht) Norway price 1 230 000 s-mod 1440 000 baht t-mod

Streetfighter.....Thailand Price: 940,000 ($31,200USD) US Price: $14,995 (452,700baht) norway price 1 230 000 baht

1198.....Thailand Price: 1,198,000 baht ($39,900USD) US Price: $16,495usd (498,000baht) Norway price 1 450 000 baht

Diavel......Thailand Price: 1,070,000baht ($35,400SD) US Price: $16,995USD (513,000Baht) Norway price 1 440 000 baht

Suzuki GSX-R 1000 is 1 140 000 baht Versys 660 000 baht and CBR 250 R is 313 000 baht

And the trafic fines are sky high, driving 20 km faster than the speed limit will set you back 25400 baht, driving on red light 27 900 baht.

Thank you! THAT solves the mystery & explains why my NorCal '03 999 full ohlins recently got shipped - sold sad.gif- to Norway. Evidently there is an age limit to the import tariffs that made my first year of issue 999 a bargain to buy & ship to a place where the riding season is, maybe, four months! Dang I miss that bike! But I'll keep my chips off the table til this Duc plant mystery is solved - anybody have real intel on a location?

You correct, several Ducati management have recently traveled to Thailand for holiday. Probably in sharing experiences and what ever... but for Ducati to to move to Thailand we should have BOI records. The board of investments are open for anybody to see... I not believe, by valve, that big company to get a different treatment then Toyota. The only two companies currently I know off who receive protection are AMD and Intel... And likely more because the Board of Investments didn't want to inform Intel they did allowed AMD into the country also...

Anyway you have a email account I give to check what I say... massimo.davoli(changethis)ducati.com

They're probably keeping the BOI paperwork in their pocket til all the details are in place, else their prices for land, construction, etc start to go up based on word on the street of a new MNC in town.

As far as I am aware, the Ducati Thailand line will have finally assembly in Thailand..not made in Thailand meaning on the big two: making frames on jigs and / or building engines. To be honest I have no drama with either if they do get done here.

A lot of westerners have to get this xenophobic mentality out of their collective heads that highly technical work / assembly / manufacture cannot be done in Thailand. I drive a Toyota Fortuner 4.0 ltr V6 (export model) built in Thailand, tyres made in Thailand, 30,000 kms so far and not one ounce of problem with the car at all. Tyres are handling high temperatures and high speed (up to 190 kph) with no problems. I wish I could own and export model in Thailand, as I would trade in my Isuzu in a heartbeat.

Okay, I'm slightly digressing, but in short the Ducati Thailand line may not have an Italian's fingerprints on it, but it will still be an Italian Marque and if it means a substantial reduction in costs for the consumer then count me in.

Have a nice day all. :D :jap:

If its a Ducati made in Thailand, is it still a real Ducati..?

A few years ago i saw a triumph made (assembled??) in Chonburi outside my mates house here in Kan... the welding on the exhaust was horrible. :whistling:

Thailand is often called the "Detroit of the East" and has a good reputation for quality vehicle assembly. Is a Thai-made Mercedes Benz still a Benz? A Thai-made Kawasaki, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc etc? :whistling:

in short the Ducati Thailand line may not have an Italian's fingerprints on it, but it will still be an Italian Marque and if it means a substantial reduction in costs for the consumer then count me in.

Aye, there's the rub...

If Ducati operates their Thai factory the way Triumph does, in a BOI zone with no waiver for domestic sales, it's doubtful local prices will change.

(Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you...)

Ride On!

Tony

in short the Ducati Thailand line may not have an Italian's fingerprints on it, but it will still be an Italian Marque and if it means a substantial reduction in costs for the consumer then count me in.

Aye, there's the rub...

If Ducati operates their Thai factory the way Triumph does, in a BOI zone with no waiver for domestic sales, it's doubtful local prices will change.

(Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, mind you...)

Ride On!

Tony

For sure mate, just have to sit back, wait and see I suppose. B)

• 2 months later...

Interesting tidbit from that short article: "The Thai plant is said to be only for assembly of bikes sold in the region"

What I have heard is that Duc will sell at a Thai price for the Thai made bikes. Unlike Triumph, and like Kawasaki.

I think (and this is just speculation on my part) that they will still get hit with import taxes for various parts that are not made in Thailand. But I also think that they think of this plant as a strategic base to sell to all of SEA and maybe even Japan (FTA).

That means Ducatis for the rest of us :)

Ah, don't be dreaming about an affordable Duc in LOS. I've finally awoken unfortunately. Think about it: why would they leave money on the table AND cut the throat of their established local dealers? The market will set the price on the Thai-made Ducs, not cost of production. I suspect they'll test the market waters with pricing a notch above the Thaiwasaki ZX-10 (Not a cheap bike, at maybe 50-80% above US pricing) to account for the Italian cache.

HEY, thats it! Lets start a gentlemen's beer wager: whoever guesses the 2012 base model Ducathai laugh.gifSuperbike List Price in BKK, not delivered price, closest without going over, gets free beer at the Londoner all night - plus taxi fare home - from the cash pool of other bidders. Minimum of six players so the hit is likely the cost of one pint for all losers. REally just an excuse to get together all Duc fans in BKK. Who wants in? just post yer price on this thread... contest ends when Ducati Thailand formally posts the pricing.

Rubber side down, gents!

oh, and if you're a Ducathai dealer/factory insider, give the rest of us a break, eh? you've already got baht enough for beer! cool.gif

• 1 month later...