Cbr 250 Vs Ninja 250

johnboy3739w

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rear-view shot.

Wow the bars are tall on that CB"r"...

One of the reasons it is often referred to as a sports-tourer rather than a sports bike. Very little, if any, pressure on the wrists together with a comfortable seat, fairly upright seating position, low footpegs, torquey engine and great mpg means the cb'R' is a fantastic light touring bike, fun in the twisties, ideal commuter and perfect for in the city :)

ps..not bad on the track either judging by a recent youtube video

Edited by skybluestu

With a torque to weight ratio porky can only drool over. :)

Fortunately it's also quite easy to lower the handlebars should one wish.

Shedding 10kgs and gaining pounds of torque on the otherhand. :whistling:

And yet for all that torque and lack of weight, the Honda is still slower on every test that RED21 posted above. And the higher the speed the bigger the difference - Pretty funny huh?

Not to mention the suspension and handling.

Must feel awesome beating those Fino's off the lights though.

Ninja 250s too, actually. :whistling:

Strange as I've seen different magazines have such different times (and orders) for their 'tests'.

Every magazine review I've seen has been consistent in only one thing, the CBR is quicker off the line. :rolleyes:

So yes, quite amusing that you mention it. :D

Edited by hehehoho

Strange as I've seen different magazines have such different times (and orders) for their 'tests'.

Every magazine review I've seen has been consistent in only one thing, the CBR is quicker off the line. :rolleyes:

Really? Care to post the reviews that say the Honda is quicker overall and handles better?

Just make sure you stick to straight roads less than a hundred metres long, she'll be sweet :lol:

Really? Care to post the reviews that say the Honda is quicker overall and handles better?

Sorry, my mistake, yes revving porky to the moon to extract it's 2 rwhp extra will get it to a minuscule higher speed.

These are MCN's results:

These are the figures from the MCN comparo.

..................................Honda............Kawasaki

Top Speed..................94.2MPH.........97.4MPH

0-60 mph.................... 8.76sec...........10.18sec

Standing 1/4 mile........16.63sec...........16.93sec

4th 20-70....................14.68sec...........13.78sec

6th 30-80....................26.42sec...........27.79sec

With regards to handling, wonder how the porker would compare to the CBR with almost 50k thb worth of mods, given that's the price difference between the sleek Honda and overpriced porky.

Sorry, my mistake, yes revving porky to the moon to extract it's 2 rwhp extra will get it to a minuscule higher speed.

These are MCN's results:

These are the figures from the MCN comparo.

..................................Honda............Kawasaki

Top Speed..................94.2MPH.........97.4MPH

0-60 mph.................... 8.76sec...........10.18sec

Standing 1/4 mile........16.63sec...........16.93sec

4th 20-70....................14.68sec...........13.78sec

6th 30-80....................26.42sec...........27.79sec

With regards to handling, wonder how the porker would compare to the CBR with almost 50k thb worth of mods, given that's the price difference between the sleek Honda and overpriced porky.

Ah, THAT test with the borrowed second hand modded Ninja that contradicted all the others results :whistling:

I'm gonna stick with last months edition of Popular mechanics and the numerous other tests that were comparing 2 new stock bikes and all reached the same conclusion if it's all the same with you.

Whatever you need to feel less embarrassed.

"Whatever"? Did I sign into the Jerry Springer forum by mistake? :whistling:

PS manage to find any tests that waxed lyrical about the CBR's handling yet? Surely there must be one test out there that compared a brand new CBR with a 2 year old Ninja that Kev down the road "modded" with extended swingarm and 19 inch wheels. Come on get googling, chop chop.

*cringe*

:whistling:

Your last 2 replies were meaningless (ignoring the double post), it's almost like you're avoiding answering the question :lol:

You found those tests yet? You know, the ones where the CBR handling is superior to that of the Ninja?

Edited by JonnyF

Oh sorry, I thought I answered that with the first 3 words in post 457.

Baht for baht, spending the same as the overpriced, over choked, under-torqued porky on the CBR, then modding it would be much, much different - Quality aftermarket suspension, better HP to weight ratio, far better torque (not to mention weight ratios), there really is only one winner for those looking for a new 250. Buying and then modding the porky doesn't really add up given the plummeting resale value of the Kawa 650s available.

i'd like to see a comparison with the rear sprockets 2 teeth up or front 1 tooth down for both bikes, then see the results.

hey dave_boo, i know you see this, how about running the numbers you genius you.

250cc comparison in last month's edition of Popular Mechanics...

post-118861-0-50797100-1308196068_thumb.

Nice review.

Pretty much tells us what we already know.

You want a fun sporty 250 get the Ninjette. You want a fuel efficient noob friendly 250 commuter bike get the CB"r".

or, quoting the review:

"For those who find the Ninja's hot blooded rev-happy twin too spicy the Honda CBR 250R's mild and torquey single might be more palatable."

"The Ninja might be the more fun and eager companion on a tight winding road but this Honda is the good natured sport bike. It's the Golden Retriever that wants to bring you home safe" :cheesy:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

well i'm the OP and after almost 500 replies, my conclusion is that the price difference makes the CBR the best VFM.........

There's <deleted> all in it, in the real world - but 50k makes the Ninja overpriced, IMO...

Honda better looking looking too - IMHO...........

And the Honda brand much stronger than Kawasaki - again, IMHO...

i'd like to see a comparison with the rear sprockets 2 teeth up or front 1 tooth down for both bikes, then see the results.

hey dave_boo, i know you see this, how about running the numbers you genius you.

Actually for some reason my subscription (if I had one) to this thread didn't notify me about these posts. I need to get me thumbdrive where I saved the comparo chart I did up and change those values. Did you want both 2 up in the rear and 1 down in the front? And if so why? Usually it's 1 front for 3 rear. Are you trying to increase the number of revs that each bike produces at a give RPM? I.E. decrease the gear range? Guessing it probably wouldn't be much difference than what's between them now, but it could decrease the actual time that the Ninja is in its peak HP range (when it's finally making more HP than the CBR)....

Actually for some reason my subscription (if I had one) to this thread didn't notify me about these posts. I need to get me thumbdrive where I saved the comparo chart I did up and change those values. Did you want both 2 up in the rear and 1 down in the front? And if so why? Usually it's 1 front for 3 rear. Are you trying to increase the number of revs that each bike produces at a give RPM? I.E. decrease the gear range? Guessing it probably wouldn't be much difference than what's between them now, but it could decrease the actual time that the Ninja is in its peak HP range (when it's finally making more HP than the CBR)....

2 up rear in one analysis and 1 down front in the other, if your feeling extra mathematical you can go for both front and rear at the same time in a separate analysis, but its going to be too much of a gearing change for practical riding.

2 up rear is because thats the usual sprocket availability. 3 isn't usually readily available .

Get crackin' !

Edited by KRS1

I have just looked through a few copies of MCN and in them I counted five 250 Ninjas for sale privately. Interestingly enough, four out of the five were advertised as being owned by ladies! I don't know if it is the looks, size, nice colours or the ergonomics that appeal to the ladies. I also saw a quote on this forum saying we should look at the CBR as a Golden Retriever. But if the Ninja is so popular with the ladies, should we not look at it as one of those little short legged, highly strung, yappy dogs that ladies seem to prefer ? Anyway it will be interesting to see what the situation will be like in a year or so when more CBR's start coming up for sale. I wonder if they will prove as popular with the girlies?

Just to add a little more wood to the fire....

Yamaha are very soon to release a single cyl 250R based on the 125R frame but revised suspension and rims etc. Made in India. Really nice looking bike!! Mini R6 lookalike

Aprila are also releasing a single pot 250 4 stroke.

Both Yamaha and Aprila are gearing up bikes for the MotoGP3 season next year in compitition with Honda.

Now the Kawasaki Ninja 250 engine being a twin is not eligible for MotoGP3. So in effect becomes the "odd one" left out.

I heard somewhere Kawasaki are doing a major "upgrade" to the Ninja 250 ( I could be wrong) so maybe they too are developing a single pot 250 to join the fray?? It would make sense, so as to compete with the other brands without the disadvantage of the extra cost of the twin, That would stifle some of the arguments on this thread if it happened to be correct.

Ahhh well....be interesting to see the comments generated from this??

I have just looked through a few copies of MCN and in them I counted five 250 Ninjas for sale privately. Interestingly enough, four out of the five were advertised as being owned by ladies! I don't know if it is the looks, size, nice colours or the ergonomics that appeal to the ladies. I also saw a quote on this forum saying we should look at the CBR as a Golden Retriever. But if the Ninja is so popular with the ladies, should we not look at it as one of those little short legged, highly strung, yappy dogs that ladies seem to prefer ? Anyway it will be interesting to see what the situation will be like in a year or so when more CBR's start coming up for sale. I wonder if they will prove as popular with the girlies?

MCN is based in the US right? A completely different market from Thailand, wouldn't you agree?

In the US where the "bigger is better" mentality prevails there aren't too many red blooded American guys going for piddly little 250s...

And let's face it, if you ride on American freeways 250cc really isn't ideal for 75mph cruising, much less passing.

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that in the US the Ninjette is purchased primarily by women, beginner riders and people who are too "vertically challenged" to ride a bigger bike. So no surprise to find that many second hand Ninjettes are sold by women because let's face it, in the US, most bikers will look at a 250cc road bike as a girly bike. :giggle:

No doubt in the US the baby CB"r" will appeal to the same demographic- women, beginners and the vertically challenged who can't handle a bigger bike.

Here in Thailand, a 250cc bike is considered "big" while back in the US it's pretty much the smallest displacement motorcycle you'll ever find.

Tony... there is also an MCN in the UK as well.

And a 250 cruising at 120kmh (75mph) come now that is what the Cbr250r is perfect for. it also still has reserves for overtaking (admittedly no a lot, but it's there)

Tony... there is also an MCN in the UK as well.

And a 250 cruising at 120kmh (75mph) come now that is what the Cbr250r is perfect for. it also still has reserves for overtaking (admittedly no a lot, but it's there)

Ah, I forgot that MCN is also based in the UK Allan.

But doesn't the UK have a graduated license system which forces everyone to start out small with 33Hp or less before they can move up to bigger more powerful bikes?

Such a system would obviously create different sales figures than in the US where new riders are free to start as big as they want...

(While the above vid is actually from Germany, I think you get my point) :lol:

Anyway, while a 250 CAN cruise at 120kph it's certainly a lot more comfortable to go fast on a bigger bike. I "cruised" all over Thailand on my little Ninjette chasing my friends on bigger faster bikes and the only way to do it was to tuck in and keep the throttle pinned...

Edited by BigBikeBKK