October

Tone Capone

Coming to Pattaya for the 2nd time in October (was there last October). This time I am going alone and will be staying for 11 nights. I will have enough money but, I wanted to try and eat on $2 per day for a day or 2 just to see if I could. A lot of old dudes told me that it's possible if you eat at the street vendors. Any tips? Also has anyone ever stayed at the Flipper Lodge Hotel? Like I said I was there last year, I stayed 10 nights and it was great! I would appreciate any tips and things to look out for though. thanks!

tony

Coming to Pattaya for the 2nd time in October (was there last October). This time I am going alone and will be staying for 11 nights. I will have enough money but, I wanted to try and eat on $2 per day for a day or 2 just to see if I could. A lot of old dudes told me that it's possible if you eat at the street vendors. Any tips? Also has anyone ever stayed at the Flipper Lodge Hotel? Like I said I was there last year, I stayed 10 nights and it was great! I would appreciate any tips and things to look out for though. thanks!

tony

$2 a day on food... You should get by on street vendors, although I for sure wouldn't like to try that.

The flippa is inbetween beach road and second road, on one of the lower numbered soi's, possibly 7. I stayed there for a few nights whilst I was in Pattaya... It's basic but caters for what you need I guess. It's incredibly cheap too, about 1,400 baht a night, which obviously is rediculously cheap. It has underground parking which is patrolled by a guard 24/7 so if you hire a vehicle it should be more than safe. The hotel has a pool up top on the roof with a swim up bar and the nightlife is literally on your door step with a few beer bars scattered around the same soi.

Enjoy yourself :o

Flipper Lodge Hotel? Like I said I was there last year, I stayed 10 nights and it was great! I would appreciate any tips and things to look out for though. thanks!

tony

Flipper Lodge, is on Soi 8 at the bottom end (Beach Road end). It's OK, nothing too fancy. In low season (like most Hotels) they had a deal, if you stay over 5 nights you get a rate reduction etc. Don't know if they will in Oct though. At the other end of Soi8 there is The Sunbeam, it's a bit better, especially for views but make sure you ask for the new building, not the old side.

As for eating on $2, i agree with Davey.....yes, but why? :o

Edit / OMG Davey, just noticed 1,400 baht per night. It was 900 earlier this year and discounted further after 5 nights.

Edited by mrbojangles

Flipper Lodge Hotel? Like I said I was there last year, I stayed 10 nights and it was great! I would appreciate any tips and things to look out for though. thanks!

tony

Flipper Lodge, is on Soi 8 at the bottom end (Beach Road end). It's OK, nothing too fancy. In low season (like most Hotels) they had a deal, if you stay over 5 nights you get a rate reduction etc. Don't know if they will in Oct though. At the other end of Soi8 there is The Sunbeam, it's a bit better, especially for views but make sure you ask for the new building, not the old side.

As for eating on $2, i agree with Davey.....yes, but why? :o

Edit / OMG Davey, just noticed 1,400 baht per night. It was 900 earlier this year and discounted further after 5 nights.

Oh, I'm not 100% certain, just somewhere in that region, defo. more than 900 if I remember correctly however

tony

Hi Tone,

Your enthusiasm for Pattaya is good to hear. I hope you have another great time.

I'd like to recommend www.hotelthailand.com (sorry, I have not yet learned how to post links on this site).If you need to keep within a small budget, you will find some cheap hotels here.

Flipper Lodge is THB1000 booked online but if you are prepared to stay further from the beach (only Second Road or minor soi's) you can pay only THB500 or less in October.

It sounds as though your $2 a day for food is just a challenge you have set yourself. I think it can be done (as other, more experienced, posters have said) but I think you are taking a risk of ruining your holiday when you only have 11 days in Thailand.

It's not that street vendor food is bad - just that our delicate falang digestive systems are easily upset and need more time to adjust.

On one of my early visits to LOS I spent 2 full days in the bathroom, followed by another 2 days of recovery, and I was only there for 10 days. I know this can happen anywhere but IMHO more likey with street vendors.

May I suggest :-

1. Spend a bit less on the hotel.

2. Spend a bit more on the food (BTW- food in Tops, Lotus, Foodland, Big C, Mike, and other supermarkets is good and cheap).

3. Arrange a trip of at least 4 weeks next October (or any time) and try out your $2 challenge then.

As they say in some parts Up2U, but whatever you choose - very best of luck.

C/Legs

tony

You remind me of a situation where-as my business partner met this beautiful Thai house cleaning service girl at the Welcome Plaza Hotel in Pattaya.

It was his 2nd trip with me to the LOS. Before he knew it, one day she had her family come to Pattaya to met with Rocky my partner. He told me about it, and it was arranged for all to go out to dinner.

They picked the place. He did like her a lot, but really didn't expect something like this to happen so quickly. It was getting serious.

In any case back to my point. He arrived at the restaurant to find the girl's mother, father, brothers, two sisters, and one of the sister's friend. All toll 8 people, including Rocky and the girl.

He told me later, all basically had soup, meat, rice and drink.

Total bill for 8: A whopping $7.88

.........DJM

If you want to sample street food go for it. If you want cheap go to big C buy a roasted chicken, sticky ricy and some bananas. That is going commando. The guy who roasts chicken at the Ruen Thai does a great job just take it away. The other place that roasts a good chicken is just behind the Blues Factory. They also do a good snapper.

-a

Never been to the Flipper, but the recently renovated DayNight 2 hotel (by the TukCom computer store) was charging 450 baht/night, reduced for longer stays (last year I paid 350/night for a 2 week stay). You can use the pool at the DayNight (1) if you really want.

It's a short distance away from the bars, but it's also pretty quiet (little traffic, no screaming sound systems blaring until 1 in the morning, only a couple of soi dogs)

I've bought b-b-que skewers (beef, pork, chicken) from street vendors at 5 baht/skewer. Big bowls of soup for 10 baht. Plate of steamed rice, 10 baht maybe ?

It might be OK for a couple of days, so that when you go home you can brag to your friends that you got by on 80 baht a day for food. After a couple of days though, you'll probably want a change.

Go to the other end of Pattaya - South Pattaya.

Around Soi Day-Night the accommodation is approx 700 - 750 baht per night and you have all the proper Thai food outlets - not just the meals on wheels.

Try the fried grasshoppers and so on if you wish, but in Wat Chai (sorry, South Pattaya Road) you can get all the rice with ..... that you need. Maybe US $ 2 - maybe a little more.

I've bought b-b-que skewers (beef, pork, chicken) from street vendors at 5 baht/skewer. Big bowls of soup for 10 baht. Plate of steamed rice, 10 baht maybe ?

If you really want to do it Capone, the prices that Kerryd quotes are there or there abouts, give or take a Baht and they really are tasty, me and the Mrs eat them all the time (even if we've just been to a restaurant) :o

Anyway, if you are gonna do it, let me give you one piece of advise. To cut down on the chances of you spending more time on the toilet than you may wish to. Buy a pair of new plastic chop-sticks, the wooden ones from the street sellers don't always get washed properly and carry germs. Or if you use a spoon wash it yourself before using it. :D

... with a few beer bars scattered around the same soi.

:o

Actually it's all beer bars, with a few misc businesses scattered around, :D

Yeah, I think a few might have been an understatement.

I'm also surprised Tone Capone would want to come back with all the da.mn horror stories you see on thie forum every day ...Man commits suicide, man robbed by bar girl, man kills another man etc. Still no good news?

Again, enjoy your holiday :D

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Like I said, I'm not on a budget, I just wanted to see if the old dudes were right. I'm not gonna be living on $2 per day. That was just gonna be my food bill for a day or 2. For alcohol, entertainment, transportation etc... I'll be living like a King trust me. Benson, eat a fat one, you don't know me punk :o and was that line about being from Israel a jew joke?? I'm not jewish at all but, I didn't know this was that kinda board (with racist jokes and all)... But, yeah I can't wait to get there again. I LOVE that place!!!

Edited by Tone Capone

.. I'll be living like a King trust me. Benson, eat a fat one, you don't know me punk :o and was that line about being from Israel a jew joke?? I'm not jewish at all but, I didn't know this was that kinda board (with racist jokes and all)... But, yeah I can't wait to get there again. I LOVE that place!!!

it certainly was not a jew joke and its certainly not a joke coming from israel you obviously have never had to deal with them on a tourist level.if you want to know how to live on 2bucks a day there the boys to knock around with

Anyway,

I'm flying EVA Airlines, I'm trying out that new "Elite Class" on the 777s. I guess it used to be called "Evergreen Deluxe"... Apparently a step above economy but, not business class. Has anyone had any experience with that? When I get to the airport in Bangkok I'm gonna head to one of those booths where I can book a car to Pattaya. I wonder how many shady dudes are gonna try to get me to take their "car service" this time? Last time we were MOBBED by Thais "hey! where you go? com with me!" same thing happens in Seoul. Oh well. 12 hour flight... I'll probably fly through customs because I might take some crutches... hey it works! 30 minutes to get a car to take me to Pattaya... 2 hour ride to the hotel, 45 minutes to get situated and grab a beer out of the mini fridge then BAM! Party time :o

Anyway,

I'm flying EVA Airlines, I'm trying out that new "Elite Class" on the 777s. I guess it used to be called "Evergreen Deluxe"... Apparently a step above economy but, not business class. Has anyone had any experience with that? When I get to the airport in Bangkok I'm gonna head to one of those booths where I can book a car to Pattaya. I wonder how many shady dudes are gonna try to get me to take their "car service" this time? Last time we were MOBBED by Thais "hey! where you go? com with me!" same thing happens in Seoul. Oh well. 12 hour flight... I'll probably fly through customs because I might take some crutches...  hey it works! 30 minutes to get a car to take me to Pattaya... 2 hour ride to the hotel, 45 minutes to get situated and grab a beer out of the mini fridge then BAM! Party time :o

Book a car service online before you go and no worries.

I'll probably fly through customs because I might take some crutches...  hey it works!

You should be careful....masquerading as a cripple could result in very severe consequences.

You could well be seriously delayed at customs as your crutches are ex-rayed for the concealment of anything illegal.

You may also find it uncomfortable as you stand behind the line hovering on your supports and trying to carry inflight bags at the same time.

Also the escalator leading down to the baggage reclaim is notorious for grabbing the odd crutch or two and sending you spinning to the bottom.

Ending up in a wheel chair could seriously affect your ability to hunt for those 2 dollars a day meals.

Having said all that I am sure that the expensive limousine service up to Pattaya will more than compensate for the small inconveniences which you may suffer.

Have a good trip :o

I'll probably fly through customs because I might take some crutches...  hey it works!

You should be careful....masquerading as a cripple could result in very severe consequences.

You could well be seriously delayed at customs as your crutches are ex-rayed for the concealment of anything illegal.

You may also find it uncomfortable as you stand behind the line hovering on your supports and trying to carry inflight bags at the same time.

Also the escalator leading down to the baggage reclaim is notorious for grabbing the odd crutch or two and sending you spinning to the bottom.

Ending up in a wheel chair could seriously affect your ability to hunt for those 2 dollars a day meals.

Having said all that I am sure that the expensive limousine service up to Pattaya will more than compensate for the small inconveniences which you may suffer.

Have a good trip :D

You are right, I'm only thinking of it because when I went last year, I was in a cast and had crutches and I FLEW through customs (my friends too!) and I do have a scar and my leg still does hurt *every once in awhile* so technically, I could use crutches and be justified in doing so :D I probably won't though... probably :D:o

Yep I`ve flown with them a few times....but I found the service pretty average on the last two ocassions and the staff seemed to be bored.....so I don`t use them anymore.

I much prefer Emirates for the food and the staff who seem much more passenger friendly.

The new elite service is according to a mate of mine very similar to the old deluxe and he says although the legroom is supposed to be the same he felt that there was less on the new plane.

Thought I`d give Singapore airlines another try this time on my way to Phuket with a couple of nights stopover in Singapore.

That Singapore Sling is calling me into the Long Bar at Raffles. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Do try to eat for 2$ a day ... and don't let all this people discourage you . Most of the food served is very good and clean enough . Stay away from plastic chopsticks ... no one who uses chopsticks and has the choice between plastic and wood ones , will take plastic . Why ??? Easy , plastic is slippery and much more difficult to eat with . If you are worried about using wood ones which are maybe not as clean as the plastic , buy yourself nice wood chopsticks , pretty cheap they are .