Do You Think The Russification Of Pattaya Is A Good Thing Or Not?

Jingthing

русификация rusifikátsiya  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nope. Chinese and Koreans aren't nearly as visible in the mainstream of Pattaya as they seem to mostly be going in tour bus groups. Russians, god bless their hearts, are mostly more independent so are seen all over.

Over the years, there have been many threads about British louts and ladyboys.

While as I stated in the OP, this should not be a platform to diss Russians rudely or unfairly, I totally reject even the suggestion that this isn't a totally legitimate topic, and also one that is on the minds of a lot of Pattaya tourists and residents.

This demographic change is real. Thais know it and expats know it. Why do you think many Thais are now learning Russian and so many businesses are bearing the cost of translations?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Low class or uneducated people have low class or uneducated tastes.

I missed this gem. It's all about class and education.

People with no money are low class and have bad taste. People with money are high class and have good taste.

Now we have it figured out.

Bordeaux Wine Official Classification of 1855.

The wines were ranked in importance from first to fifth growths (crus). All of the red wines that made it on the list came from the Médoc region except for one: Château Haut-Brion from Graves. The white wines, then of much less importance than red wine, were limited to the sweet varieties of Sauternes and Barsac and were ranked only from first great growth to second growth.

Not much has changed since 1855. The great vineyards and wine they produce is about the same.

Do you understand or appreciate these wines from birth? Nope. It takes education and experience.

The appreciation of fine wines and great food is made possible by education and experience and exposure.

If you have a low class upbringing eating mostly starches and boiled meats that is what you will like.

If you grew up eating cayenne peppers mashed with spoiled freshwater crabs and shredded unripe fruit topped off with BBQ rat and Jello for dessert that is what you will like.

There is a major difference between bouillabaisse and steamed whole carp with some cockles thrown in.

Are you ready to spend 60,000 baht for a decent bottle of wine and 30,000 baht for dinner?

If you can't appreciate it, it would be a waste of money.

I used to buy wines for restaurants. To learn I spent years in school and at wine tastings. I belonged to a club where 8 of us would all chip in to buy one bottle of good wine so we each could have a small glass. It is the only way to learn. Education and hands on experience with a knowledgeable teacher.

You seem to think food is somehow different than other subjects that are taught. It is not. There are standards of excellence in both food and wine that are centuries old.

Don't confuse what you like with what is really excellent. They may or may not be the same thing.

A good wine is worth 150,000 baht. A table wine 600 baht. Do you really think there are not people who are competent to set the price? People blend whiskeys. People blend teas. These are people with both the education and experience to do so.

Food and wine are both a science and an art. To really appreciate them takes education and experience and money.

You drive a car, I presume. Does that car driving experience qualify you to drive a formula one machine? Do you think formula one drivers go to school? Do you think they train with experienced drivers? Do you think the mechanics and designers are any different than cooks and chefs? Do you think poor people know the thrill of driving a Ferrari? No, of course not.

Will the influx of Russians bring about a culinary or cultural Renaissance to Pattaya? I doubt it. They will fit right in with the rest of the rather lower economic classes that are there now. Seems like a good match to me.

A more arrogant, self centered post than this would be hard to find on Thaivisa, sorry this post is the most snobbish rubbish i have read for a long time

I would love to respond but Jingthing reminded me that it would be going off topic, so I started a thread called "Do Brits know more about beer than the rest of us?" in the Farang Pub and entertainment forum. You are welcome to post your response there as is Tropo but he didn't show up. Your views would of course be welcome.

I used to buy wines for restaurants. To learn I spent years in school and at wine tastings. I belonged to a club where 8 of us would all chip in to buy one bottle of good wine so we each could have a small glass. It is the only way to learn. Education and hands on experience with a knowledgeable teacher.

One of those well paid useless jobs.

how they find it sad that middle aged westerners are wandering along the street with hookers as young as their grand daughters.

most of them find that disgusting .

There will not be as many Russians about once the weather at home starts getting a little warmer for them but i am sure there will still be plenty about all year round from now on.

true. Egypt is closed at the moment and so the main russian tourist distanation. Turkey is much expensive that it used to be. So thailand here we go.

Myself i find most of the russian tourists very boring. All the same questions every time. Moreover they are creating big lines in the stores. They are the main reason of rapidly price increasing. And russian women i dont know why you find them attractive. Bitch looking faces without a trace of smile, suspecios all the time and that awful jumping rapid gait. Makes me sick.

I wonder in 20 years where would be the great place for a retiree?

Edited by Gik

That's really hard to predict. I am assuming you mean pleasant, with an adequate infrastructure, safe enough, and cheap enough.

Perhaps ...

Nicaragua

Burma

USA (the new third world) :huh:

Venezuela

Palestine :unsure:

Iraq :blink:

Edited by Jingthing

Where is Palestine ?? Is it the same as Israel, or a little bit different ??

It sounds interesting

Don't ask. Anyway, Gaza has a coast and you are never very far from falafel.

It's a no go if you're gay though --

Gay / Lesbian Travel

At the time being, we do not recommend travel for the openly homosexual into Gaza or any Palestinian Authority controlled area. As it says in the Qu’ran, “But whoso rebels against God and His Apostle, and transgresses His bounds, He will make him enter into fire, and dwell therein for aye; and for him is shameful woe.” (Sura 4:19) We are not responsible for your dismemberment or death if you are a gay and enter into the Gaza Strip.

http://holyfalafel.com/tourism/gaza-palestine-travel-guide/

Edited by Jingthing

A small remark about smiling in russia.

In russia if you smile to someone it does mean an attention or interest. In thailand it actually doesnt mean anything just an easy way to be a little polite. Because of that russian girls doesnt give a smile to men or anybody without the reason. So does the men.

Most of russians who used to be tourists in middle eastern countries they do know haggling is important everywhere without exeption. In thailand that doesnt work and thais have become very annoying of such behavior.

Personally i dont give a shit russians there or chinese. I just dont like when pattaya is overcrowded. High season is the worse time of the year for me. Traffic jams , inflated taxi prices, lines everywhere. Usually it ends by march or april but this year i think it will never end.

And the way thais try to speak russian it is so impolite and unpleasant to my ears. I wish they've never learned it. Non stopping davai-davai (come on-come on) everywhere jizz...

That's really hard to predict. I am assuming you mean pleasant, with an adequate infrastructure, safe enough, and cheap enough.

Perhaps ...

I bet on south america.

Jingthing how do you find jomtien now ? Is it comfortable to stay with all these traffic and road works ?

Edited by Gik

The current crop of Russian tourists may get Thailand businesses through a difficult period, and in that sense they are useful and helpful. But they do not help Pattaya (or Thailand more generally) to develop into a broadly accepted/desireable tourist destination. And the focus on Russian language is, in my view, a real and serious detriment to Thailand's tourist development in the long run. Thailand needs and wants to attract "higher grade" tourists with relatively better education and incomes (and therefore spending capacity). Those tourists will have English speaking ability and come from many countries, which, like it or not, is now the universal language of the moderately educated groups when outside their home countries, and Thais for their own benefit and mobility in and outside Thailand need to learn English, not Russian. The lower class Europeans that used to fill Pattaya didn't help the tourist industry develop, but they didn't hurt it either -- they spoke and understood English. The non-English speaking Russians, especially in controlling numbers, seriously hurt Pattaya's efforts to develop into a middle class tourist destination for the general public. Thai businesses should resist the signs in Russian and hotels should avoid employing Russian interpreters, and focus on English (and Thai) only. But we live in the short run (and in the long run we are all dead), so we will likely need to put up with the undesireable but "necessary" lower class Russians that are here in large numbers now, and accept the fact that growth does not always move in a straight line.

I would love to respond but Jingthing reminded me that it would be going off topic, so I started a thread called "Do Brits know more about beer than the rest of us?" in the Farang Pub and entertainment forum. You are welcome to post your response there as is Tropo but he didn't show up. Your views would of course be welcome.

Tropo hasn't been on the forum for a few days. Tropo appreciates the invitation however he feels he must decline the invitation to take this discussion further in another forum.

Reason: Tropo feels that arguing with upper class, educated and monied forum members of high repute will achieve no purpose. He feels that he has made his point clear already and your misunderstanding thereof is common amongst people of your high social standing.

(Have you watched the Oscar winner, "The King's Speech"? Great movie! It illustrates well the misunderstanding of royalty for the common man)

Edited by tropo

2) Did you notice, that some of them actually try and talk to you.

LOL. Yes, quite a few Russians have tried to talk to me in Russian. They seemed surprised I didn't speak it.

I didn't know Russians read Thai Visa.

2) Did you notice, that some of them actually try and talk to you.

LOL. Yes, quite a few Russians have tried to talk to me in Russian. They seemed surprised I didn't speak it.

I didn't know Russians read Thai Visa.

Perhaps you should start reading it too, not just looking at it.

Here's some solid figures for you all. Soon Thailand will be Russian and Chinese only. -

That table didn't include one Arab country. Arab numbers are also rising sharply.

It looks like Australians are making use of their improving exchange rate.

Well, I certainly won't be around. The way the place is going I won't be around next year even.

Thanks to them for putting the nail in the coffin. They've ruined it.

I have no idea where I'll live now. Anywhere where these people don't go sounds good. I may have to leave Thailand, sadly.

Cambodia, Philippines, and Vietnam are calling louder..

Here's some solid figures for you all. Soon Thailand will be Russian and Chinese only. -

minorinternational.jpg

Nobody knows how many come here for business purposes (few days vist to meet customers etc.) without having a formal business visa. So those figures could be mislading!

Well, I certainly won't be around. The way the place is going I won't be around next year even.

I have no idea where I'll live now. Anywhere where these people don't go sounds good. I may have to leave Thailand, sadly.

Judging from the number of Russians that are travelling abroad now in greater numbers your best bet in 20 years will probably be Russia.

I'm happy that most of the Russians are going to Pattaya.

This means that we don't have them. ( not to much ) :)

I own a few hotels in the south and luckily we don't seem them to much.

And the hotels are suddenly fully booked when they try to make a reservation. :whistling:

My experience is that a hotel will lose costumers as soon the Russians invade a hotel.

But to be honest this is also the case for Arabs.

So what happened 30 odd years ago with everything being written in English and louts singing footie songs in the bars has now gone full circle with the Russians............lets face it, the Russians have far more money than the Yanks and Europeans and arnt as tight either, so is it any woder that business will target the wealthy rather than the skint Westerners..........

So what happened 30 odd years ago with everything being written in English and louts singing footie songs in the bars has now gone full circle with the Russians............lets face it, the Russians have far more money than the Yanks and Europeans and arnt as tight either, so is it any woder that business will target the wealthy rather than the skint Westerners..........

Doesn't make sense. They're a developing country, yet have loads more money than we do. Puzzling.

Doesn't make sense. They're a developing country, yet have loads more money than we do. Puzzling.

Take a look at the present state of Europe and the U.S. and yiur comment is far fetched to say the least

And the hotels are suddenly fully booked when they try to make a reservation. :whistling:

My experience is that a hotel will lose costumers as soon the Russians invade a hotel.

Let's face it, Pattaya is an exciting location which appeals to a huge diversity of tourists. I don't think you're at risk of being invaded anytime soon.

I was just wondering the other day, at BKK immigration (35 minutes btw), how life will be on the golf courses when they discover them (as I was surrounded by arrivals from Moscow and some other god-forsaken Russian hole). Until now we largely only have to put up with the antics of our Asian neighbors, which one might describe as charmingly annoying, but when this lot get out there I fear then end is in sight - anyone seen them encroaching on this last bastion of semi-civilization?

You have to move with the times..............many Westerners are tied down with massive debts and wont be travelling in numbers again for a very long time, whereas new markets like the Russians have shedloads of money to spend.........embrace or drown, its the 21st Century and times are achanging

At least for Cambodia and Vietnam I can assure you there is not much hope. I fled Pattaya a few years ago to Cambodia, and since then here is Sihanukville

the number of Russians has EXPLODED!

Nothing like Pattaya yet but on the way to get there.

Recently I was in Vietnam's "Phu Quoc" island and Mui Ne beach, until a few years ago pure backpacker destinations. What was it full of???

You guessed it - - - Russians!