Head Phones

KRS1

Need some earphones/earbuds, dont want to buy the wrong ones. Been through 3 and they all suck.

Whats loud with good frequency response and bass that you can hear while riding ?

Thanks

I find Sennheiser to be pretty good value for money, not too expensive but decent enough quality for riding. Not sure where to buy them but with something that small maybe Ebay them and have them posted over.

They may be quite expensive but I always use Shure earbuds. Do an awesome job blocking out the noise. Problem is they're reference style meaning they don't have the big muddy bass that so many people seem to crave.

Agree with the Shures............I use SE 425's and the bass is pretty awesome too.

Certainly cuts out all the noise in any event.

Edited by Phatcharanan

Are these headphones designed to be worn whilst riding a bike ? :huh: Hence posting it in the " Bikes in Thailand " forum ? ;)

Maybe one of the Mods would like to move it to the appropriate forum :blink: You may get a few more replies :jap:

When I used to commute to work on the scooter I used a set of Jabra bluetooth ear buds, fitted comfortably under the helmet and had a decent sound all with the bonus off no cables (music source was my telephone stored under the seat).

Are these headphones designed to be worn whilst riding a bike ? :huh: Hence posting it in the " Bikes in Thailand " forum ? ;)

Maybe one of the Mods would like to move it to the appropriate forum :blink: You may get a few more replies :jap:

Riding a bike has tons of background noise which some headphones with low output will fail to overpower.

Its in the proper forum...Which reminds me: Are the previous recommendations based on performance while riding?

Riding a bike has tons of background noise which some headphones with low output will fail to overpower.

Its in the proper forum...Which reminds me: Are the previous recommendations based on performance while riding?

The E4c and SE425 have both been tried by moi and work well as long as the rubber tips are used as they get sweaty and try and pop out...plus since they seal so well they don't have to get as loud as other headphones.

And to the OP, yes it is expensive, but they're an investment.

The E4c and SE425 have both been tried by moi and work well as long as the rubber tips are used as they get sweaty and try and pop out...plus since they seal so well they don't have to get as loud as other headphones.

And to the OP, yes it is expensive, but they're an investment.

I always use the 'squishy' ones when riding my bike or on a plane. Just fantastic noise reduction.

Agree they are a very good investment.

No need to spend big money for quality IEM (inner ear monitor) sound.

Get down to Munkong Gadget (google the website) and purchase either

the Soundmagic PL30 or MeElec ME9 both around 800 - 900 baht.

Your ears will thank you ....

Woahhhh good link, that site's huge.

• 4 weeks later...

ok update, I purchased this brand called 'iLuv' ...yeah i know the name is gay. But the sound is well worth it !

Non fatiguing sound, good bass reach and impact, great clean midtone, clear highs without being harsh. Since these are going to be used while riding, i ruled out hi-end since i wouldn't be able to enjoy them to the fullest because of all the noise associated with riding. I've been into car audio for over 20 years so aint a newb when it comes to sound.

I got these on clearance for $5.99 (reg $10.99) i figured what the heck i could always return them this time, and they sound better than $30 earbuds including Maxell Timbers, Scarz, GPX, iFrogz.....

The iLuv i203 is well worth the price, it has an ear clip, but i just removed it. Bob Marley sounds unusually good with these!

The only gripe is they could use a +3db boost around 8k hz on a 12 db per octave slope, but you can do that with windows media player.

Best $5.99 ive spent in a long time. (got these at Ross)

Edited by KRS1

Yeah, I am AGAIN in the hunt for new headphones. I stuff my phone in my pocket with the headphones attached when I ride and I am constantly damaging the connection from the jack to the wires just after it plugs into the phone. This is now 5 pairs I have ruined this way. I am very careful with my gear, and don't pull out the jack by the wires. I have purchased 3 pairs for over 3000 baht each, and these go just as quickly as the others, including the ones included with the iPhone.

Any suggestions on a more rugged pair? Don't tell me to be more careful, I am too old and set in my ways! biggrin.gif

Yeah, I am AGAIN in the hunt for new headphones. I stuff my phone in my pocket with the headphones attached when I ride and I am constantly damaging the connection from the jack to the wires just after it plugs into the phone. This is now 5 pairs I have ruined this way. I am very careful with my gear, and don't pull out the jack by the wires. I have purchased 3 pairs for over 3000 baht each, and these go just as quickly as the others, including the ones included with the iPhone.

Any suggestions on a more rugged pair? Don't tell me to be more careful, I am too old and set in my ways! biggrin.gif

I'm curious. Ive never used headphones while riding so dont know. But it concerns me that surely it lessens the ability to "hear" what is happening around you. That is one of our built in safety features and any reduction must raise the chances of an "incedent" surely?? I know many times I have heard a bike or car etc behind me that was out of view in the mirrors. And I am no newbie having ridden over 100,000Km in Thailand.

I was thinking of getting a headset for the GPS voice as its also not safe to be distracted looking at the screen in traffic. Comments invited.

try wrapping some tape at the junction point or try using some heat shrink tubing, takes the stress off that part.

Im going to get a back up pair, since you mention it.

I'm curious. Ive never used headphones while riding so dont know. But it concerns me that surely it lessens the ability to "hear" what is happening around you. That is one of our built in safety features and any reduction must raise the chances of an "incedent" surely?? I know many times I have heard a bike or car etc behind me that was out of view in the mirrors. And I am no newbie having ridden over 100,000Km in Thailand.

I was thinking of getting a headset for the GPS voice as its also not safe to be distracted looking at the screen in traffic. Comments invited.

I just use mine for trips, city driving in Bangkok is enough entertainment. A careful rider is always looking around anyway, to know whats around him.

I just use mine for trips, city driving in Bangkok is enough entertainment. A careful rider is always looking around anyway, to know whats around him.

Bkk is one place Ive always steered away from ( is that a pun?) But i think for someone not familier with Bkk a GPS and ear phones would be essential? I always go for a m/bike taxi. dangerous sure, but I figured less so than me distracted by looking for streets etc making sure in correct lane and not 100% aware of the traffic around me.

An interesting topic and thanks for the advice guys.

A friend got me a set of crash helmet speakers off ebay that have sticky velcro pads for inside the lid and the small flat speakers attach to them.

I have found them far more comfortable than having something stuck in my ears whilst riding. I also wear glasses so that area gets a bit cluttered around the side of my noggin.

Do any of these suggested sets have a set up like the ones I use,please? I would also like to buy a better quality item too.

I tried that setup a long time ago, but the volume wasn't enough to defeat the sound of my 2 stroke back in the days.

How loud does yours get?

i used to use the shure one which were great, but then realised its was better to have every sence fully tuned for the rodas here and the music blocked out stuff that i pefered to har like sceeching tyres and horns

I don't listen to them loud enough to block out the sounds around me. The iPhone has a volume limiter on them, so that no matter how high I adjust my headphones, they never exceed the level that I have previously set. So I can hear the traffic around me. I just can't stand not having any music on when I ride. I ride daily in Bangkok, and don't have a problem. Also, I use headphones with a microphone and an inline volume adjust, so I can turn the music up or down and answer calls without having to fumble for my phone. Much safer than what I see others doing, driving with one hand, talking on the phone with the other. Now if I was really smart, I would set the ringtone for each caller to a recording of me saying their name, so I would have a "caller ID" system built in and know who to answer and who to just let ring. I guess I am too lazy!

Awesome advice KRS1, I never thought of that! Also, I have been searching for shrink tubing for a year for a different use with no luck and finally found some last week at Autobacs on Petchburi Road. I will now feel alot better about spending 3000-6000 on a new pair, knowing that I can put some shrink tubing on and extend the life of them.

try wrapping some tape at the junction point or try using some heat shrink tubing, takes the stress off that part.

Im going to get a back up pair, since you mention it.

Edited by floridaguy

Fortune on Ratchadapisek, upstairs at Amorn electronics will also have shrink tubing in various colors.

Another thing I like to use shrink tubing for is the keys, i stick them all together inside the shrink tubing so they dont rattle around and make noise against the triple clamp and scratch it up. The teeth on the keys mould into the tubing perfectly so its like their locked in place ! Leave about a half centimeter tab on the end so you can remove it easily, or bite it when you need to unlock a padlock.

oh, dont put the bike key in when you do it, your gonna need it to drive.

Edited by KRS1

ok update, I purchased this brand called 'iLuv' ...yeah i know the name is gay. But the sound is well worth it !

Non fatiguing sound, good bass reach and impact, great clean midtone, clear highs without being harsh. Since these are going to be used while riding, i ruled out hi-end since i wouldn't be able to enjoy them to the fullest because of all the noise associated with riding. I've been into car audio for over 20 years so aint a newb when it comes to sound.

I got these on clearance for $5.99 (reg $10.99) i figured what the heck i could always return them this time, and they sound better than $30 earbuds including Maxell Timbers, Scarz, GPX, iFrogz.....

The iLuv i203 is well worth the price, it has an ear clip, but i just removed it. Bob Marley sounds unusually good with these!

The only gripe is they could use a +3db boost around 8k hz on a 12 db per octave slope, but you can do that with windows media player.

Best $5.99 ive spent in a long time. (got these at Ross)

The iLuv i203 just beat a pair of KOSS KE29e i bought from Walmart for testing, will be returning them tomorrow.

The mp3 players im using are the RCA TH2002RDR and a GPX MW240p....both the same price, but the RCA has artist, album, genre and equalizer (5 settings) with built in usb head.

The RCA has better detail and impact then the GPX and has soft touch controls (which i dont really like), both use a standard AAA battery.

The GPX isn't bad, you just get better bang for the buck with the RCA, plus the RCA has a clip.

Here's a pic of the setup, i got the pink ones for my sister. The green ones are the exact same ones, i just took off the ear clips and the sound remained the same.

I kept switching between setups and testing and testing and testing after i broke them in for a couple of hours. So my conclusion is the RCA TH2002RDR and the iLUV i203 are a combination that work very well with each other. I didn't have a choice of colors though because i got the earbuds on clearance. But you can order them in black as well.

da3d764cb9.jpg

Great thread, I am looking as well.

In ear headphones sound like the best solution as they block out the engine sound (I ride with earplugs when touring). My main problem with them is that they're invariably too large for my ears. Last ones I tried were skull candy (crap, by the way). They came with covers of different sizes but all of them too big.

So if you know of small ish ones, let me know.

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without blocking the sounds around you. Many times some idiot driver sneaks up behind me, beeps his horn and shoots around me even when there is traffic coming. He expects me to get off the road so he can pass.

Do you really think it is safe to wear sound blocking earplugs?

Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough without blocking the sounds around you. Many times some idiot driver sneaks up behind me, beeps his horn and shoots around me even when there is traffic coming. He expects me to get off the road so he can pass.

Do you really think it is safe to wear sound blocking earplugs?

I live on the edge.:D

Great thread, I am looking as well.

In ear headphones sound like the best solution as they block out the engine sound (I ride with earplugs when touring). My main problem with them is that they're invariably too large for my ears. Last ones I tried were skull candy (crap, by the way). They came with covers of different sizes but all of them too big.

So if you know of smallish ones, let me know.

Did you try in ear headphones or earbuds? earbuds are much smaller. Here's a pic to compare the size. I put the smallest white rubber tip on so you can see the actual size.

63596f5b91.jpg

Edited by KRS1