Middle Class, Elite Must Take The Blame For Thailand's Ills

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Middle class, elite must take the blame for country's ills

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Deep distrust towards the less educated and rural poor is prevalent among the middle class and elite who, to the detriment of society as a whole, fail to see themselves as a big part of the problem, especially the absence of genuine democracy and equality in Thailand.

Last week, encountering what they perceived to be an existential threat to the Interior Ministry's system of appointed provincial governors and village headmen, senior members of the influential Governing Officer Association of Thailand, composed mostly of ex-governors, went ballistic and denounced the decentralisation plan proposed by the National Reform Commission by perpetuating the long-held belief of their moral and intellectual superiority.

Rural folks, they argue, are, "uneducated", "naive", "politically immature", "subject to manipulation", "corrupt" and thus not fit to elect their own governor or even village headman.

"There's so much corruption at the local level. Everyone is seeking to benefit himself and I don't think they can take care of themselves," said Kamol Prachuabmoh, president of the association and a retired governor.

"Have the people really achieved that [level of maturity]?" asked Prasarn Suksang, another member and former governor of Angthong.

These retired senior bureaucrats are not alone. Such an attitude is common among the yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD). They don't trust the majority of voters who are poor and less-formally educated. The PAD had supported the 2006 military coup that ousted Thaksin Shinawatra, and is currently calling for a royally appointed prime minister and is campaigning for a "'No' vote" in the upcoming election. If everything fails, the PAD's support for yet another military coup cannot be ruled out.

Top Army brass also think the political landscape must be "cleansed" whenever the majority of voters appears to have been "bought" or "manipulated into voting for the wrong political party". As of today, even though the government of Abhisit Vejjajiva has assured us that a general election is around the corner, Thais continue to be nervous about another possible top-down "political solution" provided by the Army through a military putsch.

We, and the PM himself, were frightened by the recent satellite glitch that caused a television blackout, sparking speculation another coup was in the making. And we closely watch and interpret whatever Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha, a man with coup-making experience, has to say on a daily basis.

These self-appointed elite, through the power of their wealth, senior positions, university degrees, or guns, seem to think they know what is best for Thailand and will not hesitate to shut the mouths of millions of the rest.

They are so used to their self-righteous ways and their supposed moral as well as intellectual superiority that they fail to recognise themselves as very much part of the current crisis.

The middle class and elite should ask themselves how, if they are so committed to democracy, could they have supported one disastrous military coup after another over the past decades?

Aren't the politicians, who buy votes or engage in fraud, themselves part of the well-off, and even well-educated, elite? If so, why are they morally corrupt?

What about the widespread inattention to corporate good governance, the pervasive practice of giving "tea money" and "facilitation money", in order to win business contracts and state concessions?

When are people going to recognise that it is this very top-down, centralised and paternalistic political structure and a sense of superiority that guarantee rural areas remain weak and backward?

The backcountry-to-Bangkok brain drain, the exploitation of natural resources, the blue-collar exodus to urban centres ensure that rural children are not properly cared for, and the inequality and oppression continues.

In the end, the continued superciliousness among some members amounts to a self-inflicted tragedy for our whole society.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-04

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rural folks, they argue, are, "uneducated", "naive", "politically immature", "subject to manipulation", "corrupt" and thus not fit to elect their own governor or even village headman.

"There's so much corruption at the local level. Everyone is seeking to benefit himself and I don't think they can take care of themselves," said Kamol Prachuabmoh, president of the association and a retired governor.

So the elite and governors of Thailand are blaming the uneducated village farmers for the counties woes. I didn't know it was the local rice farmers making all the politically decisions in Thailand. "politically immature and corrupt" doesn't this statement show just how politically immature the governing bodies are? Corrupt? Don't the elected elite buy thier votes and manipulate the uneducated lowlifes of thai society. Isn't corruption rife throughout thier own social standing? They have them just where they want them. The problem starts at the top and if they are so concerned about the peasants causing Thailands problems then why not stop skimming all the cream for themselves and start educating people and giving them a decent standard of life. Blame the woman selling lottery tickets or the kids selling flowers at busy intersections when they should be in school. Face saving blame someone who can't read or write as they will never know. The governing elite probably still think thier rice comes from supermarket. They are getting fatter and richer on the backs of the people they blame for all the woes.

You made them that way, so you can't complain.

Lock a dog inside the house and then beat it for pissing on the carpet, don't be surprised if after one beating too many, it rips your bloody legs off.

You made them that way, so you can't complain.

Lock a dog inside the house and then beat it for pissing on the carpet, don't be surprised if after one beating too many, it rips your bloody legs off.

Refreshing for a change to see an article in the Nation stating things are they really are.

It's about time someone realized that it's the elite that is destroying the country and NOT the rural folk. Just like every other country, the rich get richer.........

What pisses me off is to see the many farang that come on TV here and think that THEY are the elite and support these elite yellow shirts. These farang elite really do think that their rice does come from the supermarkets.

Edited by Yenoormit

"...the middle class and elite who, to the detriment of society as a whole, fail to see themselves as a big part of the problem, especially the absence of genuine democracy and equality in Thailand."

Of course this is true. Do Thai's generally take responsibility for their actions? NO. It is modeled from infancy not to, and then throw in this "saveface" (not wanting to appear wrong/incompetent etc.) mentality and the denial continues.

The "rulers" mentioned words like: subject to manipulation,corrupt, politically immature, "bought" or "manipulated intovoting for .... OH PLEASE.

Perhaps they are accurately describing the rural masses, but they could very well fall under the sand designation – if they looked honestly.

This statement really is "over the top" considering the source "There's so much corruption at the local level. Everyone isseeking to benefit himself .... That describes most, if not all, of Thailand in some individual's minds, and with good reason.

Ya know, this is the same old/tired story over and over and over. Again I find myself responding to it – what a waste of energy. NOTHING – or very little - will change in Thailand for a minimum of 100 yearsso I'll end and wish TV members well.

Edited by selftaopath

It's about time someone realized that it's the elite that is destroying the country and NOT the rural folk. Just like every other country, the rich get richer.........

What pisses me off is to see the many farang that come on TV here and think that THEY are the elite and support these elite yellow shirts. These farang elite really do think that their rice does come from the supermarkets.

I don't think anyone is blaming the rural folk for ruining the country. A few are blaming the red shirt elite, such as Thaksin and the red shirt leaders.

I certainly haven't seen any TV posters claiming to be the elite. And very few support the (elite, middle class or poor) yellow shirts. Quite a few are anti-Thaksin/PTP/Red shirt, but, as is stated on a daily basis, that doesn't make them yellow shirt supporters.

Though there are some generalised truths to this opinion piece, there's little new substantial information to support it other than a reaction to decentralisation from the Governor's Association (who do have some valid points there).

Thailand's socio-economic make up is a complex one, influenced by a status structure going back hundreds of years and put on steroids for the past 35 years of urbanisation. Corruption and poor moral judgement are at the heart of many of Thailand's inequality ills and practiced equally by rich, poor and those in the middle. An unwillingness to demand better law enforcement is the collective failure of all, most particularly the poor who are at the losing end of it. The Elite are guilty of taking full advantage of this situation without a conscience and actively working to perpetuate it (e.g. the continual stonewalling of an introduction of land tax).

I don't think anyone is blaming the rural folk for ruining the country. A few are blaming the red shirt elite, such as Thaksin and the red shirt leaders.

I certainly haven't seen any TV posters claiming to be the elite. And very few support the (elite, middle class or poor) yellow shirts. Quite a few are anti-Thaksin/PTP/Red shirt, but, as is stated on a daily basis, that doesn't make them yellow shirt supporters.

I think Yenoormit does hit on one truth that has sometimes puzzled me, namely why some foreigners (let's call them the military cheerleaders as a convenient label) identify so strongly with feudal/yellow shirt/reactionary interests in Thailand when they would not dream of doing so in respect of such extremists in their home countries.Going further it's clear from internal evidence (over time it's amazing how much information many unwittingly reveal on education, social class etc) that many are of lower or lower middle class origin but identify strongly with the ruling class in Thailand, whereas they could not identify with posh boys like David Cameron (a mirror image of Abhisit).All very puzzling.

Of course (reality check) it doesn't matter really what Thai Visa members think though it's interesting to exchange views.On political matters the numbers involved on a regular basis are tiny, so I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions in the way whybother does.Let's be honest there's a a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

Actually the farmers are getting smarter every day and that seems to be what's bugging the elite. It begs the question; If the elite is so smart with their degrees and their access to resources than why are they not getting it? Anyone with a basic history background has to know that as a society advances and prospers the folks at the bottom (who actually do all the work) are going to want a piece of the pie. Smart leaders would see it coming and provide for orderly transition, stupid ones will fight it.

Government works best when it is as decentralized as possible. My Thai aunt is a village leader and I would put her up against any of the ivy league nitwits that I've met in life. If anyone things that those voices can be silenced they are fools.

This is not my business except to hope for the rebalancing of Thailand which appears long overdue. My wish is that the farmers understand that it has to be done with nonviolent means. It makes it much harder for them to shoot you if your acting nonviolently, not to mention embarrasing on the world stage. Any orgainization is only as strong as it's weakest member. It dosen't matter if it is a company, a platoon or a society. Every problem should fall on the heads of the leaders and blaming the folks at the bottom only serves to magnify their incompitence.

I think Yenoormit does hit on one truth that has sometimes puzzled me, namely why some foreigners (let's call them the military cheerleaders as a convenient label) identify so strongly with feudal/yellow shirt/reactionary interests in Thailand when they would not dream of doing so in respect of such extremists in their home countries.Going further it's clear from internal evidence (over time it's amazing how much information many unwittingly reveal on education, social class etc) that many are of lower or lower middle class origin but identify strongly with the ruling class in Thailand, whereas they could not identify with posh boys like David Cameron (a mirror image of Abhisit).All very puzzling.

Of course (reality check) it doesn't matter really what Thai Visa members think though it's interesting to exchange views.On political matters the numbers involved on a regular basis are tiny, so I'd be cautious about drawing conclusions in the way whybother does.Let's be honest there's a a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

"(let's call them the military cheerleaders as a convenient label)" - Convenient for who?

Once again, I don't think they identify strongly with "feudal/yellow shirt/reactionary interests" or with the "ruling class". They just don't identify with the red shirt - "it's all about the poor" crowd. They see through the BS that that is.

"(let's call them the military cheerleaders as a convenient label)" - Convenient for who?

Once again, I don't think they identify strongly with "feudal/yellow shirt/reactionary interests" or with the "ruling class". They just don't identify with the red shirt - "it's all about the poor" crowd. They see through the BS that that is.

Quite, the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend.

destroying the country?

wasn't that the reds?

burning everything?

attempting a revolution in support of the criminal Thaksin?

aren't the reds the representatives of the poor and uneducated that includes the rural folk?

in every society there are chiefs and Indians, its nothing new

nor is it unusual for the occasional upstart Indian to want to become a chief even though he is not qualified

if there were no chiefs there would be myriads of Indians wandering around looking for someone to tell them what to do, that's life.

personally i like the present administration where you have two of the countries most educated men steering the ship through difficult waters

either man could earn millions of $US a year working in the financial sector in neighboring Singapore

Korn and Abhisit deserve to be chiefs, they have earned it.

the Thais will prove their own stupidity if they bring back the corrupt, criminal Thaksin instead of keeping these two valuable assets on board .............

Edited by timekeeper

agreed, i would be one of those, i don't give a dam_n about "feudal/yellow shirt/reactionary interests" or with the "ruling class".

i don't like bullies, consequently, i don't like reds or their supporters......................

Edited by timekeeper

To be educated and a member of the elite does not make you someone "wiser" and more able to choose the good person on the day of election.

+++++++++++++++++++++

Another point: the citations in this article are so disgusting (in other countries, there would be a revolution due to them)that they need to be double checked. Any video? Sound? Maybe it was just sort of jokes.

Edited by geovalin

Actually the farmers are getting smarter every day and that seems to be what's bugging the elite. It begs the question; If the elite is so smart with their degrees and their access to resources than why are they not getting it? Anyone with a basic history background has to know that as a society advances and prospers the folks at the bottom (who actually do all the work) are going to want a piece of the pie. Smart leaders would see it coming and provide for orderly transition, stupid ones will fight it.

Government works best when it is as decentralized as possible. My Thai aunt is a village leader and I would put her up against any of the ivy league nitwits that I've met in life. If anyone things that those voices can be silenced they are fools.

This is not my business except to hope for the rebalancing of Thailand which appears long overdue. My wish is that the farmers understand that it has to be done with nonviolent means. It makes it much harder for them to shoot you if your acting nonviolently, not to mention embarrasing on the world stage. Any orgainization is only as strong as it's weakest member. It dosen't matter if it is a company, a platoon or a society. Every problem should fall on the heads of the leaders and blaming the folks at the bottom only serves to magnify their incompitence.

Agree tri Sailor. The farmers are getting smarter. After all they produce the rice, and Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice. So what? What if they cut out some of the Bangkok based middlemen and sold it direct ? that would upset a lot of people. What if they limited the food supply ? Its happened in the past in other countries including France, US, and even Australia. Interestingly the big banks in Thailand are trying very hard to stop the growth of the farmers based co-operative bank. Also worth remembering that only about 10 million people live in Bangkok, the other 58 million mostly live in the country. The change has already started and will gather momentum very soon when the inevitable happens.

Agree tri Sailor. The farmers are getting smarter. After all they produce the rice, and Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice. So what? What if they cut out some of the Bangkok based middlemen and sold it direct ? that would upset a lot of people. What if they limited the food supply ? Its happened in the past in other countries including France, US, and even Australia. Interestingly the big banks in Thailand are trying very hard to stop the growth of the farmers based co-operative bank. Also worth remembering that only about 10 million people live in Bangkok, the other 58 million mostly live in the country. The change has already started and will gather momentum very soon when the inevitable happens.

Maybe they should be cutting out the regionally based middlemen - the rich local "elite" - that have been ripping off the farmers for decades.

Its not the middle-class, elites or even the rural poor thats the problem.......its the whole country! Thais generally do not have any morals or ethics. Even the monks in this country are so greedy and materialistic. This country is beyond salvation.Stop complaining and just go on till the day it totally decays. The only way maybe is to start by having all the politicians publicly tried and executed as there is not a single decent politician in this country that can help run this country and also all the top govt officials. Only by making a public example , then maybe something could start changing....maybe!

If all the poor stopped buying alcohol every hour...stopped buying cigarettes...stopped buying high heel shoes everyday...stopped inking tattoos all over their bodies...wore helmets and not need emergency care...and lived more for tomorrow...Maybe they would be rich!

If all the poor stopped buying alcohol every hour...stopped buying cigarettes...stopped buying high heel shoes everyday...stopped inking tattoos all over their bodies...wore helmets and not need emergency care...and lived more for tomorrow...Maybe they would be rich!

You've hit the nail right on the head! Now if only the tattooed, alcoholic, consumptive high heel wearing poor farmers thought about this for a moment and bought a helmet, there would be no need for the situation Thailand finds itself in......................:whistling:

This line coming of course from the same people who

Keep them : "uneducated", "naive", "politically immature", "subject to manipulation", "corrupt"

But hell, let's blame the middle class now too.

Yeah those who just worked their way out of poverty recently and aim to not fall back on it MUST be the problem. Certainly not the network of 'leaders' making back handers all up and down the chain of control. And that goes for Red/Yellow or Water mellon hierarchies.

Edited by animatic

Sure it's well known that if you want to be rich you should not drink, not buy cigarettes and stop shopping...the "elite" sure never drinks and smoke, neither buy goods...by the way the alcohol is taxed, as well as cigarettes, so it benefits to the consumtion. I am quite sure the CEO of a thai high heel factory who earns millions does not agree with you and want to poor to buy high heels a lot... maybe you never went to Isaan, saw a countryside hospital (really different from the bumrungrad...) or the respect the so called high so have for the 'buffalos' as they like to call them.

This is really surprisong that most of the farangs from european countries an US can speak like that and in another hand could not tolerate such treatment in their own countries.

Some farangs left their countries because they were the "buffalos" there and are now in the upper class in Thailand, and of course defends ideas they would reject before.

Sure the reds made arsons, thaksin is a liar, burglar and everything....but the elite created Thaksin, and he just spoke to people nobody cared before....

One of my friend is pro yellow and even told me that to have a correct country thailand should apply this principle: for each 1 millions baht in your account you can have 1 vote...less than one million...no vote...

This is democracy

destroying the country?

wasn't that the reds?

burning everything?

attempting a revolution in support of the criminal Thaksin?

aren't the reds the representatives of the poor and uneducated that includes the rural folk?

in every society there are chiefs and Indians, its nothing new

nor is it unusual for the occasional upstart Indian to want to become a chief even though he is not qualified

if there were no chiefs there would be myriads of Indians wandering around looking for someone to tell them what to do, that's life.

personally i like the present administration where you have two of the countries most educated men steering the ship through difficult waters

either man could earn millions of $US a year working in the financial sector in neighboring Singapore

Korn and Abhisit deserve to be chiefs, they have earned it.

the Thais will prove their own stupidity if they bring back the corrupt, criminal Thaksin instead of keeping these two valuable assets on board .............

The time will come when the amaart saying 'Let them eat cake' will happen once too often.

The fact that the current government is the result of a coup d'etat by the military is not a good beginning to reform a country that has such a turbulent history. The Burmese raiding the Thai capital and making Thais move it two times after the Sukhothai period. Thailand raiding of Angkor Wat and annexing territories in Cambodia resulting in 13 new Thai provinces. Opening the doors of Thailand to the Japanese to setup concentration camps and army bases on Thai soil. From the times of Suriyothai Thailand has been at war within itself or the neighbors. That creates a special mentality favoring intrigue, corruption and military might as viable means of governing. Today's Thailand is a consequence of its history. Why then is common knowledge that positions in the military can be purchased? Why at the lowest level we know that bogus traffic violations are easily fixed with the right brand of "tea money"? Why is the charge of Lesse Majeste used as a way to silence the voice of the people? Why no one is clamoring for a true in depth investigation into the assassination of Se Dang? It would be a dangerous assertion by the elitist minds to dismiss it as non important and/or sweep it under the rug. Why a 16 year old, without a driver license, drives her car in to a mini van causing and accident that kills 8 people and walks free and the parents are not held accountable? These are merely the symptoms of a corrupt and dysfunctional state. Why the elites governing the country care more about Bangkok than the rest of the country? Because in this megalopolis live about 1/6 of the country's population. Rome understood this equation very well and gave the citizens bread and circus to keep the city-state happy. But the provinces rebelled and eventually the hegemony of the metropolis crumbled and in time the total demise of the Empire followed. This parallel illustrates the lack of balance between the ruling class favoring the city in which they live and govern and the rest of a country that feels forsaken. For as long as the status quo continues, there will always be another Taksin taking his place and the same dynamics will remain extant. It is only too easy to blame a fugitive ex PM as the root of all the ills that affect this lovely country. The causes that produced a Taksin and an Abhisit existed for centuries before them. One thing is for sure: the masses, the majority of the population is feeling increasingly restless. The writing is on the wall. I only hope and pray that the powers that be read it.

The fact that the current government is the result of a coup d'etat by the military is not a good beginning to reform a country that has such a turbulent history. The Burmese raiding the Thai capital and making Thais move it two times after the Sukhothai period. Thailand raiding of Angkor Wat and annexing territories in Cambodia resulting in 13 new Thai provinces. Opening the doors of Thailand to the Japanese to setup concentration camps and army bases on Thai soil. From the times of Suriyothai Thailand has been at war within itself or the neighbors. That creates a special mentality favoring intrigue, corruption and military might as viable means of governing. Today's Thailand is a consequence of its history. Why then is common knowledge that positions in the military can be purchased? Why at the lowest level we know that bogus traffic violations are easily fixed with the right brand of "tea money"? Why is the charge of Lesse Majeste used as a way to silence the voice of the people? Why no one is clamoring for a true in depth investigation into the assassination of Se Dang? It would be a dangerous assertion by the elitist minds to dismiss it as non important and/or sweep it under the rug. Why a 16 year old, without a driver license, drives her car in to a mini van causing and accident that kills 8 people and walks free and the parents are not held accountable? These are merely the symptoms of a corrupt and dysfunctional state. Why the elites governing the country care more about Bangkok than the rest of the country? Because in this megalopolis live about 1/6 of the country's population. Rome understood this equation very well and gave the citizens bread and circus to keep the city-state happy. But the provinces rebelled and eventually the hegemony of the metropolis crumbled and in time the total demise of the Empire followed. This parallel illustrates the lack of balance between the ruling class favoring the city in which they live and govern and the rest of a country that feels forsaken. For as long as the status quo continues, there will always be another Taksin taking his place and the same dynamics will remain extant. It is only too easy to blame a fugitive ex PM as the root of all the ills that affect this lovely country. The causes that produced a Taksin and an Abhisit existed for centuries before them. One thing is for sure: the masses, the majority of the population is feeling increasingly restless. The writing is on the wall. I only hope and pray that the powers that be read it.

perfectly right

One of my friend is pro yellow and even told me that to have a correct country thailand should apply this principle: for each 1 millions baht in your account you can have 1 vote...less than one million...no vote...

This is democracy

Would that apply to farangs as well - hell , we could end up running the country !!!:blink: