Volvo V70 2000-2007, Easy/Cheap To Service?

Can anyone inform about the possibility/impossibility of servicing a secondhand Volvo V70 (2002) in or around Hua Hin? Much more expensive or cumbersome than a Camry/Teana/Accord?

PS: Why a Volvo? I owned one for over ten yeaars back in Europe, very satisfied. And a safe car, if that counts.

Bangkok

at a price

all parts are imported, japs are all Thai made. Old 740-940 usually have a japs engine here

Great car, 2,3 or 2,0 or diesel?

2.3T, I think 200 HP. A step down from the S70R I had before (300 HP), but still a great car for travelling, especially if you're over 6 foot like me.

Bangkok

at a price

all parts are imported, japs are all Thai made. Old 740-940 usually have a japs engine here

2.3T, I think 200 HP. A step down from the S70R I had before (300 HP), but still a great car for travelling, especially if you're over 6 foot like me.

2,3T is good for approx 260 hp with chips only. more power need larger exhaust and drop the cat, which is cheap in TH. Aisin auto bulletproof, but needs larger oil cooler

yepp great car. check manufactoring date as I looked at a "2007", made in 2004 :rolleyes:

Bangkok

at a price

2,3T is good for approx 260 hp with chips only. more power need larger exhaust and drop the cat, which is cheap in TH. Aisin auto bulletproof, but needs larger oil cooler

yepp great car. check manufactoring date as I looked at a "2007", made in 2004 :rolleyes:

Not looking for extra performance (been there done that, Rica chip on the 99 S70R, but what a great car). Just looking for comfortable, reliable, spacious, and affordable (thats why the question about service cost). Hope I dont end up with a D Max Cab 4 ... :-)

Bangkok

at a price

Not looking for extra performance (been there done that, Rica chip on the 99 S70R, but what a great car). Just looking for comfortable, reliable, spacious, and affordable (thats why the question about service cost). Hope I dont end up with a D Max Cab 4 ... :-)

New Ford Ranger in a few months. 3,2 diesel 200hp/470Nm 6 speed auto less than a million baht. Service/maintance almost free. Unbeatable on price in TH, due to extremely low pickup taxes :)

Cruise control keeps you comfy at 160kmh, TH roads hard to go faster long distance :)

]

- used 2002 V70: less than 700.000 baht; very comfortable and well appointed interior

- how are the rear seats in the Ranger? I knoww I hate those in the Fortuner ...

Edited by Presto

]

- used 2002 V70: less than 700.000 baht; very comfortable and well appointed interior

- how are the rear seats in the Ranger? I knoww I hate those in the Fortuner ...

dont know as it hasnt been launched yet, but assume very similar to Fortuner

]

Thanks katabeachbum. Getting back to my original question: are you saying i can only service the Volvo at a Volvo dealer? Which would be in BKK I guess. I was subtly hinting at the possibility of an independent workshop servicing a Volvo here in HH. There are a couple of V70s here.

]

Thanks katabeachbum. Getting back to my original question: are you saying i can only service the Volvo at a Volvo dealer? Which would be in BKK I guess. I was subtly hinting at the possibility of an independent workshop servicing a Volvo here in HH. There are a couple of V70s here.

small jobs can be done anywhere, as long as they know where to get parts. Volvo diagnosis/ OBDII not available in Petchburi or Pretchuap, only 2 south of BKK, Phuket and Songkla.

Is SEC on the road from Hua Hin to Cha Am still alive? believe they have OBDII reader

But Hua Hin only 2 hours from BKK, I wouldnt worry to much, flatbeds are not expensive

Bangkok

at a price

Hi, :)

Chip the 2.3T to 260HP is a very easy way to destroy the engine and transmission.

#1 The turbo on the 2.3T is to small (not the one from T5)

#2 Transmision can only take 350 Nm from third gear and up.

#3 Oil cooler is not needed.

The small service can be done at a outside garage (e.g oil exchange) the large service should I do at a real Volvo dealer who has the right tools and information from Volvo in Sweden.

Have a nice day!

Bangkok

at a price

Chip the 2.3T to 260HP is a very easy way to destroy the engine and transmission.

The small service can be done at a outside garage (e.g oil exchange) the large service should I do at a real Volvo dealer who has the right tools and information from Volvo in Sweden.

Have a nice day!

a proper chipstuning does not allow 260hp/+350Nm in 1st and 2nd gear

auto oil cooler is indeed needed in hot Thailand, could have been ordered whan car was new, hot climate package, middle east spec

If you need advise TV is not the place. http://www.volvoclubthailand.com and the best of the best outside Volvo is a guy called Sunee in On Nut. If you need the details ask me in pm or on the board, there are a few Engrish speakers. Volvo Born & Bred 1976 244DL 1975 164GL 1995 760GL 1993 850GLT 1995 850GL 1999 C70 1999 S40 1996 850GLT Oz

If you need advise TV is not the place. http://www.volvoclubthailand.com and the best of the best outside Volvo is a guy called Sunee in On Nut. If you need the details ask me in pm or on the board, there are a few Engrish speakers. Volvo Born & Bred 1976 244DL 1975 164GL 1995 760GL 1993 850GLT 1995 850GL 1999 C70 1999 S40 1996 850GLT Oz

My 88 760 Estate is/was probably the best car l have ever had. Electrics were a nightmare but great all round ride. :D

1995 760GL? Was replaced in Sweden in 1990, by 960 with 3,0 inline 6. The end of French/Swedish PRV6 in Volvo. Citroen continued this engine to the end of XM tho. and De Lorean used it :)

Have a nice day!

a proper chipstuning does not allow 260hp/+350Nm in 1st and 2nd gear

auto oil cooler is indeed needed in hot Thailand, could have been ordered whan car was new, hot climate package, middle east spec

Hi again,

Sorry was not clear enough, extra oil cooler is not needed. The differences is infact just on servo oil cooler, radiator and cooling fan. But all cars is already built with these extras for Thailand.

Just a question, what is propare chipstuning? And how do they control the torque on 1st and 2st gear?

yep typo 740GL

http://www.rica.nl/

This may answer questions about chiptuning.

FWIW, I'm complteley underawed by Volvo's of the 740/760/960 era, and overawed by the models from 850 on, with that wonderful 5 cylinder engine.

This is what I had in my '99 S70R Auto Saffron: http://www.rica.nl/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=1877

Edited by Presto

Just a question, what is propare chipstuning? And how do they control the torque on 1st and 2st gear?

a Swedish chipstuner has developed chips for Volvo, Saab, Audi/VW for decades, maintaining factory warranty IOW in co op with manufactorer. To do so, power must be reduced at shift point and usually in 1st and 2nd gear, as stock gearbox, both manual and auto, cant handle this amount of power. Thats proper chips tuning. will try to recall this tuners name tomorrow :rolleyes:

BTW they where hired in 2006 to do Mitsus present 2,5d, resulting in todays 178hp

cheap chipstuning provides max power any rpm/gear with a bumpy power/tourque curve, and blown trannys is common.

my recomandation for extra cooling of auto tranny remains. Its supplied/cooled from Volvo/Aisin for 200hp/300Nm. when tuned to 260 or more, it needs more cooling. says the guy who has blown a hundred auto trannys on test driving before launch to showrooms

a Swedish chipstuner has developed chips for Volvo, Saab, Audi/VW for decades, maintaining factory warranty IOW in co op with manufactorer. To do so, power must be reduced at shift point and usually in 1st and 2nd gear, as stock gearbox, both manual and auto, cant handle this amount of power. Thats proper chips tuning. will try to recall this tuners name tomorrow :rolleyes:

BTW they where hired in 2006 to do Mitsus present 2,5d, resulting in todays 178hp

cheap chipstuning provides max power any rpm/gear with a bumpy power/tourque curve, and blown trannys is common.

my recomandation for extra cooling of auto tranny remains. Its supplied/cooled from Volvo/Aisin for 200hp/300Nm. when tuned to 260 or more, it needs more cooling. says the guy who has blown a hundred auto trannys on test driving before launch to showrooms

There is only one propare chiptuning company for Volvo and its Polestar (www.polestar.se) they has develop the tuning in coperation with Volvo in Sweden with Volvo Orginal warranty, and are therefore a propare tuning company. The example you mention that "says the guy who has blown a hundred trannys" just proof that this company dont have a clue what they are doing.

The normal for the "hobby" tuner is just increase boost pressure, adjust ingnition and add more fuel and normally they change about 150 parameters in the software, to do a propare tuning you must change at least 1300 parameters and need complete test facility (not only a dyno) as the torque model, temp model (in the software) need to be re-calibrated, this to avoid damages on engine and transmissions. The "hobby" tuner cheating the torque model, and that is one of things which brakes transmissions e.g transmission think it get say 300 Nm but reel 350 Nm, then the presure on clutch is to low, and causing slipping. Also the torque reduction during gear changes is to high when the "hobby" tuner has done cheating and destroyed the torque model.

And still you dont need any extra cooling on a Volvo transmision in Thailand (exept XC90 2.5T), the oil cooler is already the same as for the New S80 T6 and V8 and devloped for cold to hot climate.

Have a nice day!

There is only one propare chiptuning company for Volvo and its Polestar (www.polestar.se) they has develop the tuning in coperation with Volvo in Sweden with Volvo Orginal warranty, and are therefore a propare tuning company. The example you mention that "says the guy who has blown a hundred trannys" just proof that this company dont have a clue what they are doing.

The normal for the "hobby" tuner is just increase boost pressure, adjust ingnition and add more fuel and normally they change about 150 parameters in the software, to do a propare tuning you must change at least 1300 parameters and need complete test facility (not only a dyno) as the torque model, temp model (in the software) need to be re-calibrated, this to avoid damages on engine and transmissions. The "hobby" tuner cheating the torque model, and that is one of things which brakes transmissions e.g transmission think it get say 300 Nm but reel 350 Nm, then the presure on clutch is to low, and causing slipping. Also the torque reduction during gear changes is to high when the "hobby" tuner has done cheating and destroyed the torque model.

And still you dont need any extra cooling on a Volvo transmision in Thailand (exept XC90 2.5T), the oil cooler is already the same as for the New S80 T6 and V8 and devloped for cold to hot climate.

Have a nice day!

bsr dot se

Have a nice day!

bsr dot se

Hi,

Sorry to say BSR is a "hobby" tuning company, there is only one who can do it according to the book and its Polestar.

Ask them what:

%LAMSOLL

%LRS

%MDIST

%MDWIST

%MDZW

Means..

If they dont have the answer, it means that they dont have a clue how to make a propare software tuning. :)

What auto gearbox is fitted to Thai V70s? I have read bad things about the AW55-50 which is also fitted to S60s and S80s. For examples of what I am talking about see this Volvo forum page: http://www.volvoforu...hp/t-75096.html

different Aisin boxes for different years and engines and allwheeldrive. As I recall, box code is at manufactor plate in engine bay, so should be easy to check before buying.

cant stress enough, chipsing should include better cooling of auto oil

What auto gearbox is fitted to Thai V70s? I have read bad things about the AW55-50 which is also fitted to S60s and S80s. For examples of what I am talking about see this Volvo forum page: http://www.volvoforu...hp/t-75096.html

There is for V70 / S60 and S80 3 versions of AW gearboxes in Thailand.

- AW55-50

- AW55-51 (different gear ratio at R,1, 2 and 3 gear and of course software compared with AW50-50)

- AW TF-80SC

Neutral control removed from:

- Non Turbo 2001 W50

- Turbo 2001 W35

And again there is no need for extra oil cooler in Thailand or anywhere else, what mention in previous answer if "chipped" oil cooler is needed will not help as the tuning by "hobby" tuner has "destroyed" as example the torque model (software) which casusing slipping on the clutches in the gearbox, this will cause the gearbox brakedown sooner or later. A propare tuning will not allow any slipping more than orginal, and today there is only one company who have the competence and tools to do software tuning, and its Polestar as they comporate with Volvo Cars.

Best reagrds " Previous 17 years within R&D Volvocars.

- AW55-50

- AW55-51 (different gear ratio at R,1, 2 and 3 gear and of course software compared with AW50-50)

- AW TF-80SC

- Non Turbo 2001 W50

- Turbo 2001 W35

And again there is no need for extra oil cooler in Thailand or anywhere else, what mention in previous answer if "chipped" oil cooler is needed will not help as the tuning by "hobby" tuner has "destroyed" as example the torque model (software) which casusing slipping on the clutches in the gearbox, this will cause the gearbox brakedown sooner or later. A propare tuning will not allow any slipping more than orginal, and today there is only one company who have the competence and tools to do software tuning, and its Polestar as they comporate with Volvo Cars.

Just wondering whether someone looking at a V70, S80 or S60 in Thailand should try to avoid the AW55-50 gearbox?

- AW55-50

- AW TF-80SC

- Non Turbo 2001 W50

- Turbo 2001 W35

I am glad we have a true Volvo enthusiast, and a source of knowledge in this board.:)

I have been looking at the Volvo S80 2,5 flexifuel. Do you know how it performs when using E85, power and milage, and do you know if it can be modified to perform better with TH Volvos warranty remaining?