Electricity Cables From Street To House Underground

Thanks for the updated link :)

Tasks to do:-

• Check with PEA what is the biggest meter they will provide (looks like 15/45), as noted earlier no point cabling for a supply they can't give.
  • Do a quick maximum-demand calculation to make sure the above supply will be up to the job. If you don't know how to do, just list the big demand items here (A/C and water heaters) and we can do a quick and dirty calculation for you.
  • Size your incoming cable using the calculator, go for 3% drop (Use 50A for a 15/45 meter, 100A for a 30/100).

For a 100m run you get 35mm2 for 50A or 70mm2 for 100A, prepare for sticker-shock :(

A thought, consider Aluminium cable, you need to use one size bigger than Copper but it's considerably cheaper and less attractive to the bad guys. Be aware though that at one time PEA would not permit Al underground so check first.

Anyone got any idea in Thailand how much it cost for 50mm or 70mm to run 100m?

If I am not mistaken our builder paid something like 10 to 12 thousand baht for 100m of a four-core NYY double-insulated cable with 50mm2 core areas.

No chance

In 2006 single 35mm2 100 meters in copper was 12k baht. NYY 4 x 35mm2 was more than 70k baht/100meters

When the electrician went into the roof space he got a shock off the suspended ceiling frame work. Just hope my place didn't have the same electrician eh, though two big fancy light fittings have crashed to the floor. huh.gif

....that's not a really great recommendation.

If I am not mistaken our builder paid something like 10 to 12 thousand baht for 100m of a four-core NYY double-insulated cable with 50mm2 core areas.

that is presumably for three phase, which, like simple twin and earth house cable, may be a rarity here and overpriced.

Would also be interested in the cost of regular single phase.......

Edited by cheeryble

• 1 month later...

While on prices, FYI, 50mm2 (normal) not underground, alloy cable is 2300b for a 100m roll. That is the price for what is in stock, but warned a massive price rise if have to order in due to floods. We only need 3 rolls so all good.

I do have a question though, the rolls are 100m long, from meter to our house, the short route turns out to be 132m, I presume they can join it all ok, or is it one of those special problems !!!

Crossy said in post # 7, "How remote are you, that 50m on poles could be a magnet for copper thieves so consider Aluminium cable which is also rather cheaper. There are issues with Al cable but on the whole it may be worth the extra hassle."

What are the hassles I should consider when dealing with Al cable. I know I know nothing, but the local experts know even less it seems, any heads up would be great. rolleyes.gif