No More Free Electricity

Briggsy

I have enjoyed free electricity for quite some time. This is because I am a low user and live in a condo with it's own meter and house number.

I have been told that due to a change in government policy this scheme, "Ratthaban rap phara" or "The government bears the burden" or whatever it was called, no longer applies to condos. So that's that.

Any info anyone?

The new government hasn't formed yet. It was likely a populist thing by the democrats, but they lost, so why bother with it anymore? Yes, I have found it odd to get free juice from the Thai government, something my government never gave me. (But I do remember free US government cheese, not bad for mac and cheese.)

Edited by Jingthing

So what was the policy before? If you used under a certain amount it was free?

I'd be happy to have a bill below 10,000 baht a month...

Yeah, something like that. On one of my units, I haven't paid one baht for years now. I found it very funny, not something I asked for. I would have assumed they would normally exclude foreigners from programs like that as we don't vote, but I reckon it would have cost more to enforce that weeding out than to just include everyone.

Edited by Jingthing

Under 300 baht and you werent charged for your electric use from where i used to live. I guess as long as energy costs keep rising they have to do something, I just hope they use the money to upgrade the system as these constant brownouts are hard on the electronics. And its not the new goverment pinhead find another conspiracy theory please.

Under 300 baht and you werent charged for your electric use from where i used to live. I guess as long as energy costs keep rising they have to do something, I just hope they use the money to upgrade the system as these constant brownouts are hard on the electronics. And its not the new goverment pinhead find another conspiracy theory please.

Ah, wondered why I just got a bill for baht 282 for last month's juice up at our bungalow in A. Wang Muang, Saraburi. Booo, been free for some time now. Oh, well, just add that the monthly bill here at home of about baht 2,300+.

Mac

Clearly outrageous that its been free in the first place....

What country in the world doesn't charge users !!

It encourages energy conservation. People want to get free electricity so they try to stay under the limit.

I believe, under the scheme, electricity was free if you used less than 90 units per month. The actual monetary amount would fluctuate with the FT charge but tended to be around 300 B.

:blink: 10,000 Bt ??? Holly Crap ! What are you doing ? Even with air on 24/7 and cooking and showers, my fammily never does over 1000 Bt in 10 years !

:blink: 10,000 Bt ??? Holly Crap ! What are you doing ? Even with air on 24/7 and cooking and showers, my fammily never does over 1000 Bt in 10 years !

I get regular bills of around 2000-2500 and i don't open my aircon 24/7. So if he is in a big house turning on his aircons 24/7 its quite easy.

The new government hasn't formed yet. It was likely a populist thing by the democrats, but they lost, so why bother with it anymore? Yes, I have found it odd to get free juice from the Thai government, something my government never gave me. (But I do remember free US government cheese, not bad for mac and cheese.)

Wasn't it from Samak and just extended by the democrats?

Wasn't it from Samak and just extended by the democrats?

That might be correct, but if so, the democrats could have nixed it, so for most of the time it was a political gift from the democrats. As you recall the democrats tried to do a number of populist things to out-Thaksin Thaksin in that regard.

A 1000bt in 10 years? That's conservation. :whistling:

jb1