Are Thais Taught Anything About The World Outside Of Thailand

nong38

Ah, well ,your name says it all . Does it not? Practical knowledge ,if not knowledge itself is meaningless? According to you.

Pray tell, how do you divine that from my handle?

Looks like I touched a nerve there...

Please, don't try to infer that esteemed board member afarang may have jumped to an incorrect conclusion, as by his own admission he is never wrong.

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest? Did you mean size or population?

In either case, the US isn't a horrible guess, though still wrong of course.

No, of course, i meant country largest in size. But it's not the US anyway...

Frankly, I think many Thais might think biggest would mean most powerful, most famous, etc.

on tv one night me and the wife were watching the 9-11 terrorist attack on twin towers, iasked my wife did she remeber it ? did she know anything about it ? " for what " rolleyes.gif one day we were out in the car on a day trip around the coast in northern ireland, there was a very small island offshore about 3 kilometres away and i said " look love there is switzerland " woops of joy and exitment from her " i want go , i want see switzerland " rolleyes.gif i dont know but my view is that being a thai girl from a very poor family you would only be thinking and learning how to survive, why on earth would they want to learn about hitler or history its of no importance to them , geography , maths , english etc yes but history?

BTW, she does believe in santa clause biggrin.gif

Edited by scorpio

Biggest? Did you mean size or population?

In either case, the US isn't a horrible guess, though still wrong of course.

No, of course, i meant country largest in size. But it's not the US anyway...

Frankly, I think many Thais might think biggest would mean most powerful, most famous, etc.

Sure, the States are the most famous foreign country known to the local population. I thought they would say 'China' was the biggest country, I mean in terms of population, but no, they still thought it was 'Amelika'. ;))

Those of you who don't understand why kids out in the boonies don't know anything about Hitler ought to get hold of a book called 'In Grandmother's House' by Sorasing Kaowai and Peter Robinson. It gives some idea of the life in a typical Thai village that Sorasing and his Granny lived in. They didn't get electricity until 1983. Why would they be learning about Hitler?

http://www.monsoonbo...ge_0866587.html

I lived on the moors in the UK for a while. The lady living next door told me they didn't get electricity until 1965.

Thailand isn't all that backward!

Surely farangs are aware that westerners knowledge of Asian history, much less Thailand, is woefully weak. But criticizing the Thais for not knowing what you think they should know about the west is silly. It seems the old folgies on this site love to show-off their generally useless knowledge, but it really serves no practical purpose.

I might add, embarrassingly ignorant towards Asian [broader Asian] history and any other history out of the Euro-scope. Much more common than not.

And what we generally do understand about such other histories is almost always painted with a ethnocentric manipulation.

Surely farangs are aware that westerners knowledge of Asian history, much less Thailand, is woefully weak. But criticizing the Thais for not knowing what you think they should know about the west is silly. It seems the old folgies on this site love to show-off their generally useless knowledge, but it really serves no practical purpose.

I might add, embarrassingly ignorant towards Asian [broader Asian] history and any other history out of the Euro-scope. Much more common than not.

And what we generally do understand about such other histories is almost always painted with a ethnocentric manipulation.

Exactly. The American history that I learned conveniently left out (or otherwise marginalized) what happened to blacks and American Indians. Found out years later that it was rather significant. I would imagine Euro history taught in schools is very much the same.

Maybe the powers that be have to diversify the Thai education system, it shouldn't be forced upon them but I'm sure if Thai's had a more worldly knowledge then it would only benefit the whole population and the country as a whole in future years, we do all live in the global village nowadays

Maybe the powers that be have to diversify the Thai education system, it shouldn't be forced upon them but I'm sure if Thai's had a more worldly knowledge then it would only benefit the whole population and the country as a whole in future years, we do all live in the global village nowadays

Global village, indeed. Sounds almost familial, warm and fuzzy, and extensions of altruism.

Remembering who manufactured this term and such projected models should beware of the means behind it.

Social engineering 101.

Global village, indeed. Sounds almost familial, warm and fuzzy, and extensions of altruism.

Remembering who manufactured this term and such projected models should beware of the means behind it.

Social engineering 101.

I'm aware of what you mean, a dream of the globalist elite (a dream more alarmingly coming true)

What i mean is that more people travel nowadays, even relocate to other countries ( like many in here who stay in Thailand) And even Thai's themselves are travelling a LOT more than they used to, wouldn't it be benificial to Thais if they knew more about the history or the culture of the country they where visiting or just have a broader knowledge of the world in general cool.gif

In grade 11 (Canada) social studies we took American history using and American text book which was actually used in American schools. On one of the maps showing North America, including Canada and the US, there was a drawing of an Eskimo harpooning a seal in front of an Igloo right beside the city of Regina, Saskatchewan. Regina is about 100 miles north of North Dakota and it is highly unlikely that you would ever find an Eskimo, seal, or Igloo within thousands of miles.

You have to wonder what kind of qualifications the people had, who wrote, proof read, and eventually published this educational history book.

Edited by TimTang

Global village.... You have to ask locals first if they want to be globalized or not. The best way to develop a territory is to ask the residents what their community should be.. not from the outsider's speech.

2600 years ago, Buddha didn't care about how the world runs he didn't even enter education system but he still got enlightened because he knew what knowledge was "useful" for him.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, please use default forum font when posting.

Been all over the world and the Thais are absolutely the least curious people I've come across.

Another reason is that generally parents don't put much value on education; certainly not as much as Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Singaporeans, Vietnamese, Japanese etc.

Maybe another reason could be that questions are not encouraged due to the potential for someone to "lose face".

Maybe it's a combination of all three.

Exactly. The American history that I learned conveniently left out (or otherwise marginalized) what happened to blacks and American Indians. Found out years later that it was rather significant. I would imagine Euro history taught in schools is very much the same.

Are you claiming that you were educated in the US but not taught about what happened to blacks and American Indians? That seems HIGHLY unlikely to me. In fact, I think it's b*^+ocks.

Are you claiming that you were educated in the US but not taught about what happened to blacks and American Indians? That seems HIGHLY unlikely to me. In fact, I think it's b*^+ocks.

Yeah, that was all covered in gym class!

post-37101-0-09094600-1316273959_thumb.g

I don't find this a Thai thing but rather a global thing. I remember telling my then girlfriend in Virginia that I was going to Minnesota for a few weeks, and she asked me in what country was that.

And if you have True Visions, you can see the American show "Are You Smarter than a Fifth-Grader." It is a somewhat inane show, but it staggers the mind how clueless most of the participants are with regards to what others think is common knowledge.

I believe that simply being expats, as a population, we are more interested in things beyond our own national borders. It is that innate curiosity which contributes to our willingness to live outside our home country. We may be as ignorant as the population at large in other areas, but at least our natural inclinations lead us to learn about other places, and perhaps about history as well.

So many of us may know that Colombo is the capital of Sri Lanka while more of our Thai friends and family do not, but I would hazard a guess that most of our UK/American/Canadian/etc friends and family are equally as ignorant of that fact. On the other hand, I don't know who won the World Series or who took the Premier League Championship last year, and many of our friends back home would think I am pretty ignorant because I don't know those facts.

what makes me laugh is i dont think you were being ironic when you chose the battle of Britain as your example.

the fact that you did choose shows quite a bit about your own cultural shortcomings and your belief that people from other cultures should value the same things you do.

Battle of Britain? For real?

On average, I'd say the average Thai knows a lot more about the US, UK, Western Europe, Japan, Korea, China, etc. than the average American or European or Korean knows about Thailand -- if for no other reason than all the foreign movies, music, and other popular culture they lap up.

Well, America is kind of an exception because there is so much international media about it everywhere.

So to put this another way, I strongly feel a college educated Spaniard is much more likely to know more about Thailand than a college educated Thai would know about Spain. Ole. Basic things like that Spain is in Europe and that Thailand is in Asia.

Edited by Jingthing

Global village.... You have to ask locals first if they want to be globalized or not. The best way to develop a territory is to ask the residents what their community should be.. not from the outsider's speech.

2600 years ago, Buddha didn't care about how the world runs he didn't even enter education system but he still got enlightened because he knew what knowledge was "useful" for him.

Sadly the locals have no choice if they want to globalized, just the same as the west, especially Europeans, ordinary citizens don't really have a say although we are led to believe that we do.

Thailand has already chosen it's path and there is no turning back, without Thailand being part of the 'global village' then there would be less jobs, foreign investment etc.

I would imagine the Buddha would be dismayed if he seen Thailand the way it is now.

Battle of Britain? For real?

On average, I'd say the average Thai knows a lot more about the US, UK, Western Europe, Japan, Korea, China, etc. than the average American or European or Korean knows about Thailand -- if for no other reason than all the foreign movies, music, and other popular culture they lap up.

Copy from Mr Stickman with permission: We don't love as Thai male:

Truth: 1. Thai women don't like Thai men

Perhaps the most widely heard myth of all about Thai women, perpetuated by Western men in Thailand, and one also espoused by irresponsible introduction agencies matching Thai women with farang men, as well as farang guys who have married a woman with, shall we say, a questionable past, is that Thai women don't like Thai men!

Easier to refute than any other myth, the very obvious fact that the vast majority of Thai women are married to a Thai man should make anyone realise that this is a fabrication.

While it might be a stretch to say that the vast majority are happy in their marriage, anyone doubting that Thai women don't like Thai men need only look a little more closely at why this myth lives on.

So many girls speak this nonsense and so many guys hear it over and over again, that some actually believe it.

3. Thai women aren't concerned how a guy looks

It is said that Thai women don't mind how their guy looks. I would suggest is total fiction!

Thais are ultra image conscious and many believe that the way someone looks says more about them than anything else.

In Thailand, the way the people you associate with, and spend time with look - and act - is also considered to be very much a reflection on you. As such, a woman who is with a man who is rough physically, or who takes little or no pride in his appearance reflects negatively on her.

For Thais, the way you look is not just your physical condition, but just as much how you dress and how you present yourself. Someone who has let themselves go physically, but who wears tidy, clean clothes, and who has some fashion sense will generally receive a pass mark, irrespective of how large they may be.

Some foreign men in Thailand who have let themselves go claim that one reason they like Thai women is that these women do not care how they look like. Actually, they do - and they would very much like it if their guy shed a few pounds, got a decent haircut, dressed decently or at least appropriately for the place / occasion.

When Thai women talk about Thai guys, they may complain about him being overweight. However, you never hear them complain about him being too slim. He would have to be 6 foot tall and 50 kg or less to be too slim. So if they don't like their Thai guy being overweight, what does a well-rounded Western guy mean for them?

Thai women do look at the guy on the inside and the outside is not the be all and end all. Whether he is kind, gentle, polite and can adopt the traditional male's role are important to her. But looks ARE still important to her!

A foreign man marrying a Thai woman has to pay a sin sot (dowry) and support her family forever

It is often said that when a foreign man marries a Thai woman he must pay for the privilege and he must support her family for life.

Little gets foreigners married to Thai women so heated as thesin sot (dowry) debate. It is said that Thais will not allow their daughter to marry unless a sin sot is paid.

In the case of marriage between Thais, a sin sot is almost always paid. What happens to the money after it has been paid varies from family to family - and in many cases it is returned to the happy couple.

In the case of foreigners, it is my observation that as many pay a sin sot as do not. Perhaps 1/3 of the guys I know who married a Thai woman paid a dowry. The rest didn't. In most cases the guy disagreed with the concept and explained that not only was it not part of his culture, the idea of effectively paying for a wife is abhorrent in his culture and requested that the family agree to allow him to marry with no requirement to pay a sin sot. Middle class or more well to do families generally understand the perspective and accept it. In the case of rural families it seems to be about as popular as suggesting that the family buffalo's throat be slit and he be barbequed up for dinner!

The responsibility of supporting older Thais falls on their children. In the case where there is only one child and a Westerner is married to that child then he may be expected to contribute. Where there is more than one child but some have but a modest income then the Westerner and his wife may, again, be requested to contribute more. What needs to be understood is that there has been quite a change in Thai society and as the middle class grows, many older Thais are doing all that they can to ensure that they are not a burden on their children in what is becoming a much more expensive world.

Well, America is kind of an exception because there is so much international media about it everywhere.

So to put this another way, I strongly feel a college educated Spaniard is much more likely to know more about Thailand than a college educated Thai would know about Spain. Ole. Basic things like that Spain is in Europe and that Thailand is in Asia.

I'll buy that too.

from OP

. . . how little Thais seem to know about things outside of Thailand which I would generally have learnt in Geography, do they get world geography in their education system ... they seem to be at a loss with the very mention of historical great events

another thread/post with the generic 'they' - just another generic troll

As would be: Discuss: "these expats - are they all old/fat/criminal/poorly-educated?"

Edited by Atmos

The reason I chose the Battle of Britain was it was the anniversay of the event. In Britain it was a pivital moment for us and our supporters from the old empire, a bit like "Star Wars". What would the world we know today we like if it were lost? In this part of the world. of course it was different they had the Japanese pouring across the region so that would be of more regional historical importance. So is that taught in the classroom? Well my guess is maybe not because Thailand has never been conquered, so, maybe we will not talk to much about that or the many many free Thais who died helping the forces who oppossed the invaders. I get the impression that Thais dont like the Japanese but dont know why that is the case, handed down from revious generations and the Japenese people today are not the same as the ones who took over Thailand. As has been said education is a form of brain washing depending on what is put in and what is left out, also from what point of view or side you are looking at events from. It is important I think to be open enough to have another opinion aired and an alternative view shown, I may have my limitations but am always open to someone elses view, whether I agree with it or not.

Losing face was mentioned and not asking aqward questions, well that is part of Thailand is it not? So the Thai education system is working fine just as it was designed to do and the world and all that is in it well, the sun has come and another day begins, just like yesterday. I dont suppose they visit neighbouring countries to see the way they do things and see if they can learn a new way of doing things? I must also say, its a long time since I was in education but to me it seems to have declining for a long time back home and the main reason for that is there is no deciplin, now that is where Thailand probably does show a lead

I think we're all pretty much in agreement here. History of every other country in the world should be taught in every school throughout the world.

That may not leave time for important subjects but who cares as one day litle Somchai / Akiro / Bob / Mohammed etc will be able to argue the tos over the finer points of the Boer War, Nangking massacre and Cuban missile crisis with friends from every nation on earth.

This from the U.S.

Had 2 people ask me if they had cars in Thailand.

Do they have dogs and cats?:o

I once told a lady I just got back from Bangkok, she said oh so you were in Maine...(Bangor, Maine U.S.A... i assume )

To this very day my mother tells people my wife is from Taiwan.:lol: