Thailand Rushes Condoms To Flood Victims

webfact

Thailand rushes condoms to flood victims

BANGKOK, October 5, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand scrambled Wednesday to airlift condoms and other emergency health supplies to victims of its worst floods in decades to prevent a feared surge in unplanned pregnancies.

Five helicopters began transporting medicine and other provisions from the Public Health Ministry in Bangkok to seven locations in the central province of Lop Buri, which has been severely inundated.

"Local volunteers told us that villagers have nothing to do during the floods, so to prevent a baby boom we added condoms too," an official at the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand told AFP.

The unusually severe monsoon floods have killed 237 people and affected three-quarters of the country, including the northern city of Chiang Mai and the ancient capital of Ayutthaya, both popular tourist destinations.

Millions of people have suffered damage to their homes or livelihoods because of the floods, which are several metres deep in places.

The military has been deployed to help victims and army camps are being opened to evacuees.

Authorities were battling to stop the floods reaching the centre of low-lying Bangkok, as forecasters warned of more stormy weather to come.

Science and technology minister Plodprasop Suraswadi admitted the government was fighting a losing battle.

"We can't stop it raining and it's difficult to drain water into the sea. We have done everything we can but it's not enough," he told reporters.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-05

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"airlift condoms and other emergency health supplies".

All my life I never knew condoms were emergency health supplies. How stupid of me. Back in the 60s we dropped "emergency health supplies" to the Hmong in Laos but they forgot the condoms.

Overnight blackouts known to cause mini baby booms, something similar I suppose.

Nothing else to do, might as well have a shower in a raincoat.

Right you are. In 2003 there was a power grid failure in the Northeast US. Nine months later bingo, baby booms.

I was also looking for the 'Not the Nation' link....

Condoms can be used to collect water from a clean source when no other vestibule is available or has floated away....

The wellington boots provided by a previous aid effort may be too large for some of the children. Rubbers can be put over little Johnny's feet to keep them dry...

When boiled in water the latex condoms soften, increase in elasticity and can be stretched over ones head. An excellent method for the hi-so's and high-fro's to keep their bouffant hair style dry....

Condoms being of a non-porous nature prove to be an excellent measure in blocking drainage. This investment by the government ensures drainage blockage, further flooding and further aid efforts from which they can squander further income... clever !!!

I thought it was a joke at first too. But then I read; ""Local volunteers told us that villagers have nothing to do during the floods, so to prevent a baby boom we added condoms too," an official at the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand told AFP." Makes perfect sense now...

Overnight blackouts known to cause mini baby booms, something similar I suppose.

Nothing else to do, might as well have a shower in a raincoat.

Right you are. In 2003 there was a power grid failure in the Northeast US. Nine months later bingo, baby booms.

Indeed…

Noy: “Somchai Darling, the power appears to have failed, can you get the candles from under the sink”

Somchai: “Not on your nelly you saucy little cherub, lets get it on before little Jeerawat chokes on those little rubbery sweeties”

……………………….

Noy: “Somchai Darling, can you use those funny little pouches and go and get some water from the communal well”

Somchai: “Sure my little bundle of joy, what flavor?, strawberry, mint or would you prefer some that lasts longer !!! ???, dam_n, the waters always too heavy to carry anyway, perhaps I’ll use the feather-light” !!!

OMG!!!! I really don't think anyone who is stranded in the middle of a flooded village is in any mood for SEX!!!! This news MUST be a big JOKE....rite??:blink:

I have been through 6 hurricanes. All I can say is you have never been through a hurricane. :lol:

Well actually read an article on the floods that hit Queensland late last year around Toowoomba and there has been a baby boom around there..so must be something in the water!!!

OMG!!!! I really don't think anyone who is stranded in the middle of a flooded village is in any mood for SEX!!!! This news MUST be a big JOKE....rite??:blink:

As a food hygiene tool indeed a very wise move. Don't forget you can also keep your T.V. remote dry and of course ones telephone too!!

Must remember the condom for phone over the Songkran festival which is " coming."

Condom_Uses.jpg

condom006.jpg

Edited by siampolee

Real news, its on BKK post as well... When I saw it, was ready to bet this was going to make headline on a TV email.... Anything to up post counts of TV posters...

Smart move though, and they can be put to further use afterward: fill them up with sand and reinforce the dams to prevent further floading...

one post deleted

forum rules

3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane .

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

if repeated, the next step is a 1 month posting suspension!

Maybe they are to be used as blow up armbands !!!!! Joking apart my thoughts are with the flood victims.

As a food hygiene tool indeed a very wise move. Don't forget you can also keep your T.V. remote dry and of course ones telephone too!!

Must remember the condom for phone over the Songkran festival which is " coming."

Condom_Uses.jpg

condom006.jpg

Nice, I can not believe this. Is it flooding sperm?