Register Your Cell Phone Number

frenchFARANGbkk

I stopped in to the TeleWiz shop (AIS/1-2-Call branded retail outlets) in the Emporium (I think it's one floor up from the BTS entrance level?) and registered my SIM. It took less than 5 minutes. There is a small, short form you fill out. They did look at my passport.

I expect they'll start sending SMS reminders, probably in Thai, a few weeks before the deadline?

Instructions on Happydprompt's website say:

** Refill service customers must personally bring their SIM along with their ID card (issued by the government)

at the customer service center, DTAC shop, or Happy customer registration location so that their information

may be recorded before 1 January 2006, in accordance with government regulations.**

But what if I'm not in Thailand and do not expect to be there again for several months? I have a DTAC prepay, which may still have some juice, and 650 B worth of cards. Will they all become worthless on 31 Dec, although they say 'valid until 6.2007'? I'd have thought not, as it's the SIM card that surely all that matters.

I think the phone number itself is also otherwise ok, as I think that lasts for 2 years if not used, the last time having been in April 2005. Am I right or will the number be cancelled? Is it possible to prevent that, if necessary? The cost may well be very small (still 199B?) to buy another, but not very convenient to change number.

I'm hoping I'll be able to carry out the necessary formalities next time I arrive which I expect to be sometime by next August, preferably while still airside. that seems the sensible solution.

By the way, the website, in English at least, is faulty, as the ads block out part of the drop down menus.

Thanks for any advice.