Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Apparently the Ministry responsible for tap water has told people to hoard their water now as they can no longer produce it.

Also, an announcement has come out saying they will use Vibhavadi-Rangsit road to channel all the flood water. I find this staggering and hard to believe. TV announcement expected at 2000hrs I think.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was told as well that they are going to use Vibhavadi-Rangsit road to channel the water.

This will be another disaster move as the small canals alongside it (next to where I live) are already filled up for 70% and it will result in an overflow and massive sideways flooding.

My sandbags are ready but do not think it will be enough to stop the water.

Apparently the Ministry responsible for tap water has told people to hoard their water now as they can no longer produce it.

Also, an announcement has come out saying they will use Vibhavadi-Rangsit road to channel all the flood water. I find this staggering and hard to believe. TV announcement expected at 2000hrs I think.

There was an announcement that the PM has refused this plan.

However, that's the main way the water is coming into town (todays flood warnings in Bangkok are all along that road except for Sai Mai). I would not be surprised if the 'plan' may have been suggested on the basis that this is what's actually going to happen, and they can't stop it.

However, that's the main way the water is coming into town (todays flood warnings in Bangkok are all along that road except for Sai Mai). I would not be surprised if the 'plan' may have been suggested on the basis that this is what's actually going to happen, and they can't stop it.

Planned or not, if water comes along Vibhavadi, I believe that will bring it right into the heart of Bangkok. Any information on timing?

Planned or not, if water comes along Vibhavadi, I believe that will bring it right into the heart of Bangkok. Any information on timing?

I've just come from the locked Admin-only daily thread. You'll find the details there.

I have just come back to Don Muang from Victory Monument and it is still dry (Vipwawadi Rd), and has been dry since at least 2pm. Some of the surrounding sois are waist deep, even though in my soi the water appears to have receded somewhat due to the Klong Phra Pa being stabalised , but if they flood Vipawadi then I am sure it will get worse here!

It does tie in with the massive hole and huge pipe they have been working on for past couple days. Was Rama IX I think?

Timings wise, they say the rest of Lak Si in 12 hours. DM toll is closed now I think. But predicting these things is near impossible probably.

Some minor flooding on Suwintawong Road (304) just to the east of Minburi, Bangkok.

They've got some big pumps running and seem to have it under control.

Some very minor flooding at the junction of the 304 and Thanon Chalong Krung. Beyond that the 304 is dry and in good repair, but most of the lower roads that branch off the 304 are flooded.

Kum Klao is nearly impassable, I think it may soon be nearly impossible to reach the Lat Krabang Industrial Estate... Rom Klao Road is still high and dry, but the water is getting quite deep on Thanon Chao Khun Tahan and Thanon Chalong Krung which are the only roads that lead to the Lad Krabang Industrial Estate... They are reinforcing the flood walls around the Lad Krabang industrial estate but no one seems to know if the water levels are going to go up, down or stay where they are...

Had lunch on the river in Chacheongsao and while the river is high, there is no flooding at all...

Just heard that Suwinthawong is impassible as well same for Chaokhuntahan, both ways

Edited by jumbo

Any information on the exit Khlong Luang from Highway 9 to Highway 1 direction Ayutthaya (and vv)

I just spoke to my manager. Klong Luang is still accessible via Wongwaen Ring Road (Kanchanaphisek Road). But towards the Vibphavadi/Rangsit end of Klong Luang is pretty jam because of flooding in Klong 1 and 2. This morning he was trying to access to my factory in Klong 4 which is already flooded so he got to take a boat into Klong 4 with people dragging the boat on the flooded road. Tomorrow we will get our motorized boat.

Also an update that my house in Ramintra Soi 5 is high and dry. No sign of any flood. Inside moobaan drains' level is not high (yet). Very fortunate.

an interesting Thai site that polls the flooding % of your area.

http://www.ismyhouseflooded.com/

- enter your 5-digit postal code then click button on right

- then choose button FLOODED ( ท่วมขังแล้ว ) or NOT flooded ( ยังไม่ท่วม )

- then click enter button on lower left

the site displays percentage of flood according to the response.

an interesting Thai site that polls the flooding % of your area.

http://www.ismyhouseflooded.com/

- enter your 5-digit postal code then click button on right

- then choose button FLOODED ( ท่วมขังแล้ว ) or NOT flooded ( ยังไม่ท่วม )

- then click enter button on lower left

the site displays percentage of flood according to the response.

Thanks for that! I really hope the information is somewhat accurate.

Shop owners building up sandbags in Asoke area (Sukumvit 16/21) but no sign of flooding. Just come from airport via Bang Na into central Bangkok and did not see any flooding. But there's even more cars parked at the airport and on over-passes, Police were towing some away that had restricted the traffic flow.

My best estimate as of mid day monday oct 24 for worst case flooding in next week, dark blue= 3 ft, lt blue=foot or two, yellow= few inches, green= mai pen rai. Based on new BKK topography and Google earth combination.

http://pic.twitter.com/0XFWgJzx

swelters

This is a great map Swelters, just the sort of thing that the government should be producing. :whistling:

I went ahead and signed up for twitter, but the image there is just a low resolution as it is here. Could you post a higher resolution image on flickr or photobucket? The first time I looked at it I just about had to change my pants, but on closer inspection I'm pretty sure that I'm in a light blue zone, not a dark blue zone. I've sealed up one door, sandbagged the other, disconnected the only power socket that was lower than waist high & moved the car, so I am prepared for 1 - 2 feet of water, but if I'm in the 3'+ zone, I'll change my strategies entirely (ie. pack up the car & get the hell out of Dodge!;) ).

This is really a great map...go to Google map and turn on terrain function (Google earth plug-in may be required)...check Google map against swelters map and you know what the color means on Google map. A Casio pro-trek watch will tell it too.

Informative post, I appreciate the time you took to put that together, that is my entire stomping grounds and tells me what I already speculated but couldn't confirm and that is basically we're cut off in this location unless you have a high truck. The water on Srong bra pa does look as if it's stopped flowing though and that's good news, now it just needs to drain off so I'm optimistic of being able to get some supplies in the near future if there are any available :( ?..

One question? You came back south from Tiwanon to Srong bra pa rd presumably underneath the toll rd there on the same road so maybe this question is moot, but is there access to the toll road once you pass Klong bra pa from where you took the jpegs? Looking back over your shoulder? It's very low there and was some of the first to begin flooding did they put in barriers and keep it dry?..

Thanks- you are most welcome. I just got so fed up with the conflicting reports that I wanted to go see the situation for myself.

I think you are asking about access to the Bang Pa In - Pa Kret Expressway from Thanon Song Prapa, as seen in the picture below, yes?

The road and expressway access ramps on both sides were dry when I rode through last night. The flooding starts at the blue dot and extends to the east for an unknown distance:

ThanonSongPrapaMapSSR.jpg

Heading west the road is dry to Tiwanon (306).

But I see in the news that some of the flood barriers in this area were destroyed last night?

"Pheu Thai MP Keng Karun was responsible for demolition of a 1 kilometre section of clay wall near an intersection where Prapa Canal meets Chaeng Wattana Road, letting in flood water, Pak Kret district chief Wisit Phuangphet alleged yesterday.

Karun allegedly deployed five backhoes to destroy the wall at around 2am yesterday, claiming that it caused a number of villagers' home to be flooded. He initially threatened to destroy the section a few hours earlier but gave up after Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit and Pheu Thai MP Natthawut Saikua talked him out of it."

http://www.nationmul...r-30168279.html

If that's true then certainly conditions could be completely different today...

Thanks for that, unfortunately the idiocy of the Thai highway system is now shining brightly through as we are surrounded on all sides impassible on an island when there are dry areas I suspected would be wet well before us because of their elevations and no way to access any roads out to civilization.. The area I'm talking about is one of those as it's much lower then Klong bra pa and it was one of the first areas to begin flooding intially they must have erected dykes along that area to keep it dry and yet it is nearly impossible to get at from any direction :blink: ...

As for an MP deliberately wrecking flood barriers I hope he's taken out and strung up by his testicles as that's one hell of an example to set for the locals.. JFYI I have stronger words for this %^&***(( but better hold them for the moment :annoyed: ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes I was told as well that they are going to use Vibhavadi-Rangsit road to channel the water.

This will be another disaster move as the small canals alongside it (next to where I live) are already filled up for 70% and it will result in an overflow and massive sideways flooding.

My sandbags are ready but do not think it will be enough to stop the water.

Glad you found it useful. Will work on this in the morning.. If you are along Sukhumvit the area I estimate as possibly one meter is out beyond Bang Chak BTS. My Thonglor/Ekamai area maybe a foot, less as you go west of Samitevej Hospital.

My best estimate as of mid day monday oct 24 for worst case flooding in next week, dark blue= 3 ft, lt blue=foot or two, yellow= few inches, green= mai pen rai. Based on new BKK topography and Google earth combination.

swelters

This is a great map Swelters, just the sort of thing that the government should be producing. :whistling:

I went ahead and signed up for twitter, but the image there is just a low resolution as it is here. Could you post a higher resolution image on flickr or photobucket? The first time I looked at it I just about had to change my pants, but on closer inspection I'm pretty sure that I'm in a light blue zone, not a dark blue zone. I've sealed up one door, sandbagged the other, disconnected the only power socket that was lower than waist high & moved the car, so I am prepared for 1 - 2 feet of water, but if I'm in the 3'+ zone, I'll change my strategies entirely (ie. pack up the car & get the hell out of Dodge!;) ).

Thanks, will work on it this morning.

Swelters.

This is really a great map...go to Google map and turn on terrain function (Google earth plug-in may be required)...check Google map against swelters map and you know what the color means on Google map. A Casio pro-trek watch will tell it too.

Picked up the wife at Don Muang last night at 9:30pm. As I looked north from the exit ramp as it loops under the elevated into the airport, all I could see was water with a few high vehicles passing slowly on the center (highest) lane. Roads inside the airport all mostly dry but water coming up through several drains in the basement parking. There's loads more cars parked up on the ramps inside the airport.

The water looked about half a meter deep on Viphavadi-Rangsit feeder at the main entrance from the north (where the TV camera crews were). Didn't see any vehicles on the main road itself. They have replaced the sandbags with a 1m earth and gravel berm at the exit from the airport onto Viphavadi Rangsit feeder where the road was still dry. The berm may be a challenge for a small car as it is!

Earlier, around 6pm, I drove out to check on road access to Suvarnabhumi from Highway 7 and all roads were dry with lighter than normal traffic flows.

The flood map here shows the correct flood progress with what I witnessed last night. I would give Don Muang about another 24-hours of easy access FROM Bangkok...unless they dream up a way of getting you back up on the elevated sooner than the 1km drive south along the feeder to the nearest ramp; after that, all bets are off. The airport may be dry but the roads will be flooded. Highway 7 east of Suvarnabhumi was dry when I came in from Pattaya TWO nights ago but I would assume that localised flooding will be a feature between now and the weekend.

I predict a slow rise of water encroachment through to Saturday morning. After that, the 4m spring tide will kill any flow to the sea and there will be a more rapid rise in flood waters from Saturday night onwards. The NanLaew brood is headed for Scotland tonight!

swelters

I hope this is better

post-25752-0-81488800-1319450899_thumb.j

well mate, it seems monday has come and gone, double or nothing?

swelters

I hope this is better

post-25752-0-81488800-1319450899_thumb.j

well mate, it seems monday has come and gone, double or nothing?

Did I read it wrong or did you?

My understanding of his post was he was saying that he made his calculations on Monday mid day for flooding that would take place over the next week, which would end on Monday the 31st, so he has a number of days left to see how it plays out based on his projections.

Not that he was expecting the levels posted ON Monday the 24th...

Traveled from Pantip Ngamwongwan to Mochit this morning by bus, doing the U-turn by Kasetsart Uni on Vibhavadi Rangsit. Saw water on Prachacheun towards Kasemrad Hospital from Pongphet Junction, also water near Soi Chinnakhet, nowhere else did I see water, this was earlier this morning around 7am.

I am woundering how the Kason Rd and Patta mall area are , if they are hit with water yet,

any info thanks

there was flooding in front of pata last night. vehicles still passing through. charansanitwong to the north is impassable. khao san area and eastern bank are still dry now, except a few leaks here and there around tha prachan. but those are still being drained into the sewers.

thammasat is closed for the week though, so they certainly expect to be under water.