Uk Tv

sierra01

Is it possible to get ITV, BBC and Channel 4 programs over the internet?

I`ve tried before and generally the will have recorded clips of news etc. but live streaming hs been a washout for me.

Or alternatively you may have to enter a subscriber agreement.

Try a website called tv4all.com there are lots of channells there.

Course it also depends on your conxn.

Try UKNova http://www.uknova.com It's a bittorrent site and you can download most of the UK shows soon after they're broadcast. Also has a ton of old shows online. It's #1 my favorite bittorrent site and I'm not even a Brit! Edited by clokwise

Try UKNova http://www.uknova.com It's a bittorrent site and you can download most of the UK shows soon after they're broadcast. Also has a ton of old shows online. It's #1 my favorite bittorrent site and I'm not even a Brit!

I tried to sign up but got the message 'Sorry. This site is not open for public use'. As I know absolutely nothing about torrents and bit torrents I'm probably not doing something I should be doing....help!

I tried to sign up but got the message 'Sorry.  This site is not open for public use'.  As I know absolutely nothing about torrents and bit torrents I'm probably not doing something I should be doing....help!
Ack. Apparently they've closed the membership signups already. All I can suggest is you bookmark the site and keep trying regularly, they open up for new members from time to time.

:o I just went to bookmark the site, decided to have one more try at registering........and I did it!

In the welcome message it said that if your up load/download ratio isn't very good you'll be warned first then removed if it doesn't improve. All I want to do is watch some English TV, they said that only British content is acceptable but I can't access that from here, so I can't contribute. What can I do?

There have been a few sites around offering downloads of UK TV stuff. All have vanished after a greater or lesser period, removed by the BBC/ITV due to copyright infringements.

I get my UK TV fix from my dad, I get a 'survival pack' of VCD's he's made of current shows, not loads maybe 10 disks a month, just enough to keep me (fairly)sane. Best thing I did was buying him a TV capture card :o

There has been talk of the BBC providing a (paid) streaming service, but I understand that it's only going to be for UK residents anyway, useless!

In the welcome message it said that if your up load/download ratio isn't very good you'll be warned first then removed if it doesn't improve.  All I want to do is watch some English TV, they said that only British content is acceptable but I can't access that from here, so I can't contribute.  What can I do?
Good to hear you got in! What they are telling you is you need to keep your upload and download ratio in check. So if you download 300MB show, you need to continue to seed it until you reach 300MB upload as well. You don't need to contribute new programmes, just seed the ones you download.

In the welcome message it said that if your up load/download ratio isn't very good you'll be warned first then removed if it doesn't improve.  All I want to do is watch some English TV, they said that only British content is acceptable but I can't access that from here, so I can't contribute.  What can I do?
Good to hear you got in! What they are telling you is you need to keep your upload and download ratio in check. So if you download 300MB show, you need to continue to seed it until you reach 300MB upload as well. You don't need to contribute new programmes, just seed the ones you download.

That's a bit cheeky! Ok, I'll do it. It said I can't do much for 24 hours anyway. 300mb? I'm glad I'm on high speed internet, it's only True (spit) but it's not too bad most of the time.

I do not understand what this means, can you explain.

I do not understand what this means, can you explain.

There's plenty of guides explaining how BitTorrent works available on the internet, but to answer just this question and a brief introduction:

Seed = upload.

Leech = download.

Leecher = person who has not yet downloaded the entire torrent.

Seeder = person who has downloaded the entire torrent and is now uploading (seeding) it.

Torrent = a package of one or more files to be downloaded

Tracker = server that serves as intermediary so individual users can find and connect to each other

Bit Torrent is a nifty protocol in that it allows everyone that jumps on a torrent to download AND upload simultaneously, from and to everyone else who is connected to the swarm - 'swarm' means a group of people all connected to seed/leech the same torrent.

When you jump on the torrent, you will get pieces of the same file from both the seeders and other leechers - and you will upload the pieces you have already downloaded. This way, the user who is the initial uploader (seeder) will not be strained from having to share the same pieces of each torrent to all new leechers, because once he has already shared them, they are available from somebody else in the swarm.

The BitTorrent protocol will prioritize the least common pieces to make sure information is not lost when people leave the torrent.

For BitTorrent users to find and be able to connect to each other, a server called a 'tracker' is required. Uknova is such a tracker. They put up links to torrents on their server - but the actual files are not stored on their server - they are on the computers of the users who connect to the tracker. In other words, the tracker serves as an intermediary, making it possible for BT clients (programs) to connect to each other.

To download a file, you need a BitTorrent client. There are many freely available, just google for them. Which one you get depends on your personal preference. Popular ones are utorrent, Azureus, BitTornado and BitComet. Either of these will work ok. Personally I have been able to reach the best speeds with BitTornado.

Once you have downloaded your BT client, you use your web browser to log in to a tracker. On the web page you will see a list of links to files. Simply click on the link to the torrent you wish to download. A window will prompt you for which program you wish to open the link with. Browse to your newly downloaded BT client and click OK. You will then be prompted for where you want to save the file. Choose to save the file in a convenient folder on your hard drive.

Now you can just wait.

(If you have a firewall or router, you may need to forward (=open) ports in them to make sure your BitTorrent traffic can go in and out. As each firewall and router is different, google for instructions about your specific make or brand of firewall and router - they may also be available on the tracker site if you look at the FAQ or Help sections.)

You may find the Expathub to be a better alternative than BitTorrent, since BitTorrent traffic is throttled by many Thai ISPs. If you cannot get reasonably high speeds with BitTorrent, you are welcome to try out the Expathub. More info available at: File Sharing in Thailand

Basically you need to have that file available for other people to download from you.

But the big problem for me is that in order to get the equal or better ratio you have to have "popular" file ie match of the day and so on.

So if you download a 400mb file about 12th century cabinet making, you might only get 1 other person interested in it or none. Whereas MOTD will guarantee multiple people downloading from you and a far better ratio.

I am not interested in any of the "popular" files, so i dont know if long term it will be a site i will use.

yoikes meadish. is that copy and pasted from somewhere or are you just a fast typer?

Edited by Bluffer