Report: Gaddafi Killed In Sirte

Lite Beer

Gaddafi's dead

Al Jazeera and agencies

30168171-01.jpg

Cairo - Libya's fugitive leader Moamer Gaddafi was injured in the leg and arrested in his hometown Sirte, the Free Libya TV reported quoting sources in the National Transitional Council Thursday.

Al Jazeera has acquired exclusive footage of the body of Muammar Gaddafi after he was killed in his hometown, Sirte.

Abdul Hakim Belhaj, an NTC military chief, said Gaddafi had died of his wounds after being captured near Sirte on Thursday.

The body of the former Libyan leader was taken to a location which is being kept secret for security reasons, an NTC official said.

"Gaddafi’s body is with our unit in a car and we are taking the body to a secret place for security reasons," Mohamed Abdel Kafi, an NTC official in the city of Misrata, told Reuters. Earlier, Abdel Majid, another NTC official, said the toppled leader had been wounded in both legs.

A photograph taken on a mobile phone appeared to show Gaddafi heavily bloodied, but it was not possible to confirm the authenticity of the picture.

The news came shortly after the NTC captured Sirte, Gaddafi’s hometown, after weeks of fighting. "Thank God they have caught this person. In one hour, Sirte was liberated," a fighter in the town said.

Former spokesman captured

Another NTC commander said that Moussa Ibrahim, former spokesman for Gaddafi’s fallen government, was captured near Sirte.

Click here for more of Al Jazeera’s special coverage

Abdul Hakim Al Jalil, commander of the 11th brigade, also said he had seen the body of the chief of Gaddafi’s armed forces, Abu Bakr Younus Jabr.

"I’ve seen him with my own eyes," he said and showed Reuters a picture of Jabr’s body. "Moussa Ibrahim was also captured and both of them were transferred to [our] operations room."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-20

NATO and the US state department said they could not confirm any reports. Meanwhile in Benghazi, crowds gathered in the streets to start celebrating the reports of Gaddafi’s death.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did better than Saddham. He would have ended up in prison until he was executed.

Agreed Saddam was pathetic. Whilst his sons died in fire fights Saddam hid in a hole and died in shame.

How old was he, 67?, do you really expect someone that age to die fighting?

:blink: he looked pretty fit to me , maybe a tad over weight put surely he could lift a sword no? died like a dog though.

There is one thing that does give me rise for concern and I am sure I'm not alone regarding that feeling, But what or who is going to replace Gadaffi ?

Sometimes the devil one knows is easier to deal with than the devil you don't know.

There is one thing that does give me rise for concern and I am sure I'm not alone regarding that feeling, But what or who is going to replace Gadaffi ?

Sometimes the devil one knows is easier to deal with than the devil you don't know.

Who is going to get the oil is what I would like to know. Couple of countries will be lining for their share of the spoils.

Very true. Every nutter in the woodwork will emerge to grab power now - including all the fundamentalist crazies. They could easily end up with something worse - but I'm glad he's gone. The world is sick of despots.

This guy has been pretty much under control for years and now Libya will become another Iraq, well done. Can some country with a bit of balls please please please just knock off Mugabe. Even if they do it on their way to 'liberate' another country, any country, even as an afterthought, just do it.

GADDAFI KILLED AS HOMETOWN FALLS

death_leadphoto.jpg

Former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, covered in blood, is pulled from a truck by NTC fighters in Sirte.

"Gaddafi was in a jeep when rebels opened fire on it. He got out and tried to flee, taking shelter in a sewage pipe," an NTC field commander, Mohammed Leith, told AFP.

NTC fighters "opened fire again and he came out carrying a Kalashnikov (assault rifle) in one hand and a pistol in the other," he said.

Gaddafi "looked left and right and asked what was happening. Rebels opened fire again, wounding his leg and shoulder. He died after that," according to Leith.

But according to Jibril, Gaddafi was shot in the head "in crossfire" between his supporters and new regime fighters after his capture.

"When he was found, he was in good health, carrying a gun," Jibril told a press conference in Tripoli. Kadhafi was transferred from the sewage pipe to a pickup truck, at which point he was shot in the right hand.

"When the vehicle started moving, it was caught in crossfire between Gaddafi fighters and the revolutionaries, and he was shot in the head," according to Jibril.

"He was alive up to last moment, until he arrived at hospital" in the town of Misrata.

Continued: http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/10618010/kadhafi-killed-as-hometown-falls/

This guy has been pretty much under control for years and now Libya will become another Iraq, well done. Can some country with a bit of balls please please please just knock off Mugabe. Even if they do it on their way to 'liberate' another country, any country, even as an afterthought, just do it.

Yes Mugabe has to go and he is just as bad if not worse than all the others, but the problem is there is nothing to be gained. All the countries that the coalitions and Nato go into, to allledgedly free the people are oil and minieral rich.

Good.

Free Housing, water, electricity, 50.000$ when you get married to buy a house, free medical care, free study (should you wish to); all paid by the bad dictator. Wait for the traditional joy cries when the NATO/french thieves of oil and water try to topple this heritage.

He shouldnt have done it without the IMF/Worldbank, independant.

And then a real currency backed by Gold, not promises, oh no no.

RIP

Complete <deleted> I'm afraid. Why don't you look up some stats before you blather about the wonderful psycho.

Want facts? Try these: http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/ Before NATO bombed the country into oblvion and turned it over to religious fanatics, LIbya ranked #53 on the Human Development Index. Just go to the link and look at all the countries it ranked higher than. All gone, now.

The barbaric treatment of Ghaddaffi should cause some people to worry. Ghaddaffi's killers behaved like primitive savages. I appreciate that the regime caused tens of thousands of deaths, looted and brutalized the nation, but surely the man should have been brought to justice and a full trial held. So much for the rebels claims for justice.

In any case, President Obama handled the Libyan crisis well by not deploying US personnel on the ground and by allowing Nato to take the lead. It was French fighter jets that nailed the convoy and it will be Italy, the UK and France that must now deal with the civilian mess that will unfold. The big losers in all of this? China. It was caught selling weapons to Ghaddaffi during the civil war and it had large oil investments. China is going to get squeezed out since the Europeans are more adept at negotiating under these circumstances. The oil starved French, Italians and English are most likely slobbering with delight at the turn of events since it was this trio that made the decision to go to war in support of the rebels.

The barbaric treatment of Ghaddaffi should cause some people to worry. Ghaddaffi's killers behaved like primitive savages. I appreciate that the regime caused tens of thousands of deaths, looted and brutalized the nation, but surely the man should have been brought to justice and a full trial held. So much for the rebels claims for justice.

In any case, President Obama handled the Libyan crisis well by not deploying US personnel on the ground and by allowing Nato to take the lead. It was French fighter jets that nailed the convoy and it will be Italy, the UK and France that must now deal with the civilian mess that will unfold. The big losers in all of this? China. It was caught selling weapons to Ghaddaffi during the civil war and it had large oil investments. China is going to get squeezed out since the Europeans are more adept at negotiating under these circumstances. The oil starved French, Italians and English are most likely slobbering with delight at the turn of events since it was this trio that made the decision to go to war in support of the rebels.

I think you will find it is the U.S claiming credit for this and it will be they who will be slobbering with delight.

"Without putting a single US service member on the ground, we have achieved our objectives,"

Obama said in a televised statement to Americans already weary of long wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He was offered the chance to surrender and with free passage out of the country. Stubbon old man could have still been living the high life elsewhere.

He should have been disposed of after being found complicit in the Lockerbie terrorist attack.