Calling Thailand

a man with a plan

The last time I was in England, about 18 months ago, international phone cards were freely available, post offices, newsagents etc. Most of them list the price to each country so check before you buy. I was paying 6p per minute, though it varied between different cards up to about 12P I think.

You don't need a card - just use a call through number from one of the companies on the site I gave above. Cheapest at the moment is 1p a minute.

Try one of these. One of them, is usually only 1p per minute. Although they seem to alternate monthly.

http://www.dialwise.co.uk/index2.php

http://www.dialaround.co.uk/index2.php

http://www.bestminutes.co.uk/index2.php

Thanks for the links Mr B, I'm going to tell my Mum about it, she's always complaining about the cost of calling me!

SkypeOut.

www.skype.com

agreed. long distance companies are dinosaurs. you might as well be communicating via Morse Code.

voice over internet, baby.

The trouble with skype is if you want pc to pc call, that might be impractical if the person you wanna call lives out in the boonies, with no pc. :o

SkypeOut.

www.skype.com

agreed. long distance companies are dinosaurs. you might as well be communicating via Morse Code.

What's wrong with morse code? It paid my mortgage for 10 years :o + VA

Nothing is wrong with Morse Code, I used it all the time when I was in my Ham Radio club back in 6th grade. That, and my great, great uncle (on the Crumbaker side) is Samuel FB Morse, so I have family ties to the code.

Just saying it's a bit "dated".

Cheapest at the moment is 1p a minute.

You’re so fortunate in Britain!

The best rate from Switzerland to Thailand I’ve been able to figure out so far is SkypOut, and that is the equivalent of 3.4p/min. to call a landline number, 6.4p/min. to call a mobile number.

The rates d fluctuate from a given provider but with call a number in the uk then call the number in thailand your not tied to a particular provider.

Best to check the rates on moneysaving expert call checker :

www.moneysavingexpert.org

bear in mind bt's min call charge of 5p per call (if you use bt)

also anyone in the world with a decent inet connection can get 1p a minute to thailand if you use a voip service that lets you dial the special services available in the uk. What you need to look for is a voip provider that you pay for an account and will let you dial the uk 08448 (or similar numbers) for the 1p a minute rate - you will need to do your own research on this - but i have been advised that they do exist - so it would be ceaper for me to call a thai mobile in thailand through the internet than it is from most of the current mobile providers (except hutch with a 5min plus call)

Also another solution for the tech able is to use some of the packages offerred by voip providers so the people in thailand call you on your uk landline - some offer rates of .59p a min - cheaper than calling thailand - and some give you totally free calls if you credit 10 euros plus - these give you the benefit of calling several countries in europe totally free from where ever you are.

hth

Another thing worth knowing is that if you're in the UK and have an O2 contract mobile calls to both 0870 and 0844 numbers count as part of your 'free' minutes so you can callthrough to Thailand at no cost. :o

Cheapest at the moment is 1p a minute.

You’re so fortunate in Britain!

The best rate from Switzerland to Thailand I’ve been able to figure out so far is SkypOut, and that is the equivalent of 3.4p/min. to call a landline number, 6.4p/min. to call a mobile number.

Yeah but don't you pay less for quality watches :o

Sorry link should have been :

http://www.moneysavingexpert.org/callchecker

they'll also tell you how to get uk contract phones totally free for a year - in fact you make money on it and have a phone to sell when you want - that will call other numbers thare look like mobile phone numbers but in fact allow you to call many countries out of your inclusive minutes which can be up to 500 mins per month.

Quite a few uk students are offerring this service and making good money out of this...

see the forums :

http://forumsmoneysavingexpert.org

Edited by Khun Bob