Driver's License - Motorcycle Endorsement

Nashboy

I'm planning on moving to Pattaya this spring. From what I have read here, if I get an interational drivers license before I go, then when I apply in Thailand, I can use that to get a license there - instead of the alternative of sitting in a class taught in Thai and having to take a test written in Thai (while providing my own interpreter).

My question is this; I do not have a motorcycle endorsement on my U.S. license (which will be used to obtain the International permit). Is a driver's license in Thailand good for both passenger cars and motorcyles, or are there separate endorsements, as in the U.S.? I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and get a motorcycle endorsement while on the U.S. to save a major hassle, or if I will be o.k. to drive both a car and a motorcyle without the endorsement on my U.S. (and thus international) license.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Thailand has SEPARATE licences for car and m/c. You can apply for both together (then you need only one health certificate).

If you want a Thai m/c licence without the hassle of a test your IDP must have the motorcycle endorsement included.

Simple solution, get the necessary paperwork in the US.

Edited by Crossy

I recently got my license,and allthough i do not have a MC license in Denmark,they asked me if i wanted a mc license as well.

I think it might be a matter og just paying what it costs.

But i don't drive MC's so i didn't go for it....