Briton Detained After Thai Girlfriend Jumps Off 7th Floor Of Pattaya Hotel

webfact

Detained does not mean arrested or that he was put in a cell or handcuffed. You are also "detained" when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. They simply are questioning him and investigating the incident at this point.

Yes, being detained is really quite innocent.

Like being detained at Camp X-Ray for example.

Simply questioning and investigating.

To detain a person in the legal sense is the same as to arrest someone.

To legally detain someone means the restraint of a person/s personal liberty against his or her will.

To arrest someone means to deprive the person of thier personal liberty by taking or keeping a person in custody, not necessarily in jaill.

If he has been detained by the police I would say he is under

arrest.

20 years as a serving police

officer.............. ;)

arrested and detained are two different things legally ... your 20 years as police officer has failed where a simple Google search will enlighten you. A police officer would never use the word detain if they arrested somebody and would never say they arrested somebody who was simply being detained.

The defintion of arrested and detained are what ever the Thai BiB decide they are based on what they are trying to accomplish, therefore 20 years with another countries porkers and a google search on the legal defintions are completely irrelevant in this case....."detained"..lessor tea money, "arrested" bigger tea money...

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But as I read there are eyewitnesses right, who saw that she jumped herself?

You might want to read again. If somebody saw her jump herself there would be no reason to detain and examine the boyfriend.

witnesses on the opposite side of the hotel saw the moment Ms. Ratchanu jumped off, hit a branch of a coconut tree before hitting ground. This probably saved her life.

You might want to read again. Try the whole story this time?

jb1

Incredible jump or pushed. not a lot survived in this height.

hope she survived to tell the truth.

Truth is not the word here. She will tell her version of the story. After hearing both versions one will be left to draw up one's own conclusions. Like in the Japanese movie Rashōmon.

But as I read there are eyewitnesses right, who saw that she jumped herself?

You might want to read again. If somebody saw her jump herself there would be no reason to detain and examine the boyfriend.

witnesses on the opposite side of the hotel saw the moment Ms. Ratchanu jumped off, hit a branch of a coconut tree before hitting ground. This probably saved her life.

You might want to read again. Try the whole story this time?

jb1

Where does it say she jumped herself? If you read the story it appears clear there is question as to if she jumped herself and further insight will see they use the word jump throughout the story when they should be using the word fall/fell in many cases. Have you not read enough Thai English newspapers to know they wording & grammar are not accurate many times?

Edited by Nisa

You might want to look up the word detain. It implies a short or temporary period, especially in a situation like this or involving the police when it is almost solely used to describe somebody being questioned or issued a citation. It is not the same meaning as the US Government's warped definition of a detainee. It is quite normal in a situation like this and in fact it would be VERY abnormal for the boyfriend not to be detained in any country given the fact he was there when she jumped .. not to mention they were fighting before she jumped.

But in #104 you said someone saw her jump and there was therefore no need to detain him.

uhhh .. no I didn't.

Ohhhhh yes you did!

farrang innocent_these thai girls are suicidal at the best of times_about 1 year ago my thai lady slashed her wrist----just 2 show me how much she loved me!! peebar mak mak......still with my lady today 2 years now..... but what angers me the thai will blame farrang everytime--- thai help thai!! many farrang take 2 suicide in pattaya yet the thai girlfriend_never detained............ pattaya is fast becoming a sespit of angry thais...... these days i prefer to take 2 village life----less hassle... the farrang will have 2 pay 4 the thai ladies medical care.... its worse than blackmail if man want 2 finish with lady upto him--- many thais only interested in money number 1. whats with all that putmak.

hope the lady is ok thats the most important issue................but will she speak the truth? i hope so

Incredible jump or pushed. not a lot survived in this height.

hope she survived to tell the truth.

Truth is not the word here. She will tell her version of the story. After hearing both versions one will be left to draw up one's own conclusions. Like in the Japanese movie Rashōmon.

HER version will win out methinks B)

Strange... there are several farang suicides(and suspicious deaths) every month in Thailand but I've never seen the girlfriend "detained"...

Looks like he will be "stitched up" as Ratcatcher suggested, particularly if its Pattaya police involved...

But if he did throw her off, Im sure he'll get his punishment at the Bangkok Hilton.

Either way hope she recovers, surviving 7 floors is incredible.

C'mon ... it's a little bit harder to believe that a small Thai woman can toss a farang guy off a balcony rather than the other way around. Sure, knock yourself out blaring about how things are biased against farangs in LOS, but keep it real pls.

But believing that a Farang got so upset when his Thai BG decided to split up with him (after he barfined her for a couple of weeks), that the only thing he could think of was tossing her off the balcony? That we should believe?

Applying Occam's razor to this mystery tells me that the Brit's been longtiming this girl for a couple of weeks (making her his GF...), went out to shoot some pool and have a couple of drinks, during which he eyed down this other BG. His TGF got pissed off and ruined the evening and he decided they'd go home and get it on instead. However, in normal TGF fashion she couldn't let the thing go and continued to argue and eventually he told her to get the <deleted>** out of his hotel room, that he didn't want to see her ever again, causing her to make the fatal leap from the balcony. Case closed.

Now where do I send the invoice for solving this....?

Oh, and by the way - I certainly hope the girl makes a full recovery. Chok dee.

:jap:

Edited by Forethat

We seem to keep tying our hands behind our backs before jumping

So we can't use our hands to break the fall

And tying plastic bags round the head also.

That is actually possible..it was all in a film and later somebody actually did it in Pattaya....plastic bag over head, duck tape to seal against neck then handcuff hands behind back....you have to be quick but it can and has been done....

Detained does not mean arrested or that he was put in a cell or handcuffed. You are also "detained" when you are pulled over for a traffic stop. They simply are questioning him and investigating the incident at this point.

To legally detain someone means the restraint of a person/s personal liberty against his or her will.

To arrest someone means to deprive the person of thier personal liberty by taking or keeping a person in custody, not necessarily in jaill.

arrest.

officer.............. ;)

arrested and detained are two different things legally ... your 20 years as police officer has failed where a simple Google search will enlighten you. A police officer would never use the word detain if they arrested somebody and would never say they arrested somebody who was simply being detained.

Nisa you very wrong many times myself and others use the word detained. ie he is detained in custody/under arrest. If you detain someone for questioning then they are under arrest. If a person is simply assisting the police with thier inquiries then they are not being detained. For example if you witness/involved in an incident and the police ask you to make a statement you are not being detained and can get up and walk away at anytime. If the police arrest you for questioning then you are being detained. Many times I have stood up in court and stated "Your Honour I detained the defendant in custody" Yes police do use the word detained.

What a squalid, cesspool of a destination Pattaya is. The Brit is already dressed for prison by the looks of his pants....and nice tats! And 'luxury' boutique hotel? Jeesh....who writes this claptrap? One only need look at tripadvisor to see it's far from 'luxury'. Regardless, hope the lass recovers.

That description was slipped into the story by the reporter after the hotel owner proffered a nice back-hander to him :lol:

Perhaps if posters read the accompanying article they would see a few extra facts:

There are witnesses who saw her jump, the boyfriend was examined physically for any signs he had been in a fight - nothing found.

The girl survived because her fall was broken by a coconut tree.

Thanks Croc, just beat me to it. If some posters would stop speculating about the assumed guilt of the young chap caught up in this, and read the hints in the actual article then there might be a different story. What Croc was refering to is:

"Before the jump they went to a pub in Walking Street, South Pattaya. Returned to the hotel and started to quarrel, but no fighting, he said. Thereafter his girl friend went out on the balcony and jumped off. He rushed down and asked the hotel staff for help.The witnesses on the opposite side of the hotel saw the moment Ms. Ratchanu jumped off, hit a branch of a coconut tree before hitting ground. This probably saved her life.

Mr. David said that he didn’t beat up his girl friend and that she jumped off by her self. They inspected his body but no traces of fighting we’re found. The hotel room was also inspected but nothing unusual was discovered.

Mr. David has been detained and is to be further investigated by the police. More witnesses will also be interviewed when Ms. Ratchanu regains consciousness the police will find out why she jumped off the balcony."

I hope the girl does recover, and the tree broke her fall well enough to prevent internal injuries and bone breakages to the extent she will be invalided for the rest of her life. It isn't a nice story and the posters should treat it as serious instead of sniping the poor guy caught up in it.

Just my opinion.......

farrang innocent_these thai girls are suicidal at the best of times_about 1 year ago my thai lady slashed her wrist----just 2 show me how much she loved me!! peebar mak mak......still with my lady today 2 years now..... but what angers me the thai will blame farrang everytime--- thai help thai!! many farrang take 2 suicide in pattaya yet the thai girlfriend_never detained............ pattaya is fast becoming a sespit of angry thais...... these days i prefer to take 2 village life----less hassle... the farrang will have 2 pay 4 the thai ladies medical care.... its worse than blackmail if man want 2 finish with lady upto him--- many thais only interested in money number 1. whats with all that putmak.

hope the lady is ok thats the most important issue................but will she speak the truth? i hope so

You don't think maybe Farangs have issues who excuse clearly mental unstable behavior of their girlfriend by pretending it is normal behavior because the girlfriend is not really a person but is Thai?? Any person who slashes their wrists to show how much they love somebody is in need of serious help regardless of what country they hail from.

But in #104 you said someone saw her jump and there was therefore no need to detain him.

uhhh .. no I didn't.

Ohhhhh yes you did!

In post #104 nisa said

So nisa did not say someone saw her jump but said that IF that was the case there would be no reason to detain.......

Kananga...time to go buy some new spectacles!!!!

Can't jump (excuse the pun) to conclusions. The full story must be heard before judgements can be made.

Although I will be very surprised if she actually did jump by choice. I doubt it, unless she was out of her brain on drugs or something ..... but I wonder if he was/is "in shock" because she's survived !??

Why????

Is it more believable her 'boyfriend' threw her off the balcony???!

I've read news reports of a few jilted thai girls that attemp suicide (mostly succesfully) after the boyfriend/husbands breaks it off with them.

We don't know the full story, but from personal experience I've had 2 exes threaten suicide on breaking up. I realise 'threatening to' and acutally doing it are 2 different things, but for me at least, I find it totally plausible.

Here's hoping she has a full recovery, and that the guy doesn't get stitched up.

i would say FAR more believable he threw her off. extremely egotistical peoples. thai suicide rates are very low...(1/3rd of the world rate) and just a guess that a lot of these deaths reported as suicides were actually murders

not sure if one suicide an hour is a low rate:

Experts reveal Thai suicides attributed to depression and domestic issues

The Director-general of the Department of Mental Health states the main causes of suicide among Thai people are depression and domestic issues.

Mental Health Department Chief, Dr. M.R. Somchai Jakraphan (สมชาย จักรพันธ), stated after hosting the official World Health Organization-endorsed World Suicide Prevention Day, that the main causes of suicide in Thailand were due to depression, and domestic issues pertaining to economics and family relations. Dr. M.R. Somchai said depression needed to be treated with a clinical psychiatrist, but due to the lack of mental health professionals in Thailand, many depression patients in Thailand have been left untreated.

M.R. Somchai revealed that from 2002-2003 the suicide rate in Thailand was at 7.7 persons to 100,000 population. This year's suicide rate has dropped to 6.9, while it is estimated that in 2007 the suicide rate will be 5000 persons annually, or about 13 persons per day; 1 person an hour. :ermm:

Must be the lack of building safety standards for high-rise Pattaya balconies... elderly rich farang seem to be habitually falling foul of them, from a great height.

What is it with Pattaya? Why so many 'jumpers'?

Relatively wealthy elderly farangs + much of the very lowest end of thai society (alcohol,drugs, prostitution, cons,scams) = some of the problems in Pattaya

Reporting murders is not good for tourism.

"If you want the ultimate thrill you must be prepared to pay the ultimate price" Mark Foo died at Mavericks, full moon bay.

Some guys want the ultimate thrill in pattaya, and pay the ultimate price, although they did fly like superman.

uhhh .. no I didn't.

Ohhhhh yes you did!

In post #104 nisa said

So nisa did not say someone saw her jump but said that IF that was the case there would be no reason to detain.......

But someone did see her jump... Contrary to what you may believe, the reality of the world does not revolve around nisa's contradictory speculations.

arrest.

officer.............. ;)

Nisa you very wrong many times myself and others use the word detained. ie he is detained in custody/under arrest. If you detain someone for questioning then they are under arrest. If a person is simply assisting the police with thier inquiries then they are not being detained. For example if you witness/involved in an incident and the police ask you to make a statement you are not being detained and can get up and walk away at anytime. If the police arrest you for questioning then you are being detained. Many times I have stood up in court and stated "Your Honour I detained the defendant in custody" Yes police do use the word detained.

What country are you from where you claim to be a policeman? When somebody is arrested they are being held or "in custody". When somebody is being detained they are not free to go on their way during this time that is almost solely for investigation of a crime or to issue a citation. Being detained is NOT the same as being arrested though being detained sometimes leads to an arrest. You NEVER hear a cop say I arrested the speeder so I could issue him a ticket. No they say detained. You also don't ever read a news account of somebody being detained for murder ... they are arrested. The laws allow police to detain people for such things as to investigate a crime and it is legally VERY DIFFERENT from being arrested. Clearly you should know this as a former police officer.

He's being questioned yet when a Farang jumps/falls the GF is always presumed innocent.

Why don't we just wait until the girl wakes up? It's so easy to jump to conclusions. Le't hope that she'll survive. Chances in this country are not too high, Sorry, but I know what I'm talking about. jap.gif

If she wakes up she will dribble out bloo bluuu bloo bo bbbb. the police will translate that clearly to: "falang pushed me off". :rolleyes:

In post #104 nisa said

But someone did see her jump... Contrary to what you may believe, the reality of the world does not revolve around nisa's contradictory speculations.

That may be the case, I don't know, but it is NOT what nisa said which is what you were contending.....so go buy some new specs.....you put words in nisa's mouth...... plain wrong....

Edited by KKK

Strange... there are several farang suicides(and suspicious deaths) every month in Thailand but I've never seen the girlfriend "detained"...

Looks like he will be "stitched up" as Ratcatcher suggested, particularly if its Pattaya police involved...

But if he did throw her off, Im sure he'll get his punishment at the Bangkok Hilton.

C'mon ... it's a little bit harder to believe that a small Thai woman can toss a farang guy off a balcony rather than the other way around. Sure, knock yourself out blaring about how things are biased against farangs in LOS, but keep it real pls.

But believing that a Farang got so upset when his Thai BG decided to split up with him (after he barfined her for a couple of weeks), that the only thing he could think of was tossing her off the balcony? That we should believe?

Applying Occam's razor to this mystery tells me that the Brit's been longtiming this girl for a couple of weeks (making her his GF...), went out to shoot some pool and have a couple of drinks, during which he eyed down this other BG. His TGF got pissed off and ruined the evening and he decided they'd go home and get it on instead. However, in normal TGF fashion she couldn't let the thing go and continued to argue and eventually he told her to get the <deleted>** out of his hotel room, that he didn't want to see her ever again, causing her to make the fatal leap from the balcony. Case closed.

:cheesy::cheesy:

In post #104 nisa said

That may be the case, I don't know, but it is NOT what nisa said which is what you were contending

Yes, thats right you don't know. and that is exactly what nisa said.

You're spot on !! And she was so pissed off and drunk, she mistook the balcony with the entrance door.

If she makes it, she should pray merit to the coconut trees. First time I heard of someone being saved and not killed by a coconut.

That may be the case, I don't know, but it is NOT what nisa said which is what you were contending

Yes, thats right you don't know. and that is exactly what nisa said.

prove it........post number and quoted text.....you tried before using # 104 and I proved you wrong......as in that post nisa DID NOT say someone saw her jump....have another go by all means...but I doubt you'll be able to do it....