Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have not tried it as I do not live near salt spray but,
I have always read that folks buy cheap silicone spray
& spray their bikes.

Another product which costs more & I dont know if it is available here
is Boeshield T-9

I think I would just go with a cheap silicone spray. Should be good for

a week or two at a time & help. OF course if you get direct salt spray off the ocean

alloy things may get pitted no matter what depending on where you store the bike.

So covered would be best when not in use.

a week or two at a time & help. OF course if you get direct salt spray off the ocean

alloy things may get pitted no matter what depending on where you store the bike.

A few of my friends used to do Weston beach race (I never did it as didn't want to wreak my bike)...you would be surprised how far wet sand can get in and the damage it can cause

A few of my friends used to do Weston beach race (I never did it as didn't want to wreak my bike)...you would be surprised how far wet sand can get in and the damage it can cause

Yes it & the sale especially is very corrosive to everything even glass.

I lived on beaches a lot in my life & the homes take a beating too.

Even the glass windows get pitted & rough from salt spray from the surf.

Edited by mania

Yes it & the sale especially is very corrosive to everything even glass.

I lived on beaches a lot in my life & the homes take a beating too.

Even the glass windows get pitted & rough from salt spray from the surf.

Yeah is nasty stuff for sure...they used to replace their wheel bearings and swinging arm bushes/bearings as soon as they got home, but a couple of months later all sorts of random stuff would fail as well

Yeah in a way I wish I'd bought a 2nd hand bike then the sand and salt wouldn't bother me as much

You could have got a Chinese one....whistling.gif biggrin.png

Even though it's only 20 meters from where I park the bike to the beach I'd be scared it would breakdown/fall apart before I got it on the sand......lol

Yeah in a way I wish I'd bought a 2nd hand bike then the sand and salt wouldn't bother me as much

You could have got a Chinese one....whistling.gifbiggrin.png

He could have three Lifan Cross for the price of one CRF. One parked directly at the beach. One for shopping. And the third for rent to customers to get the money back he payed for the bikes laugh.png

You could have got a Chinese one....whistling.gifbiggrin.png

He could have three Lifan Cross for the price of one CRF. One parked directly at the beach. One for shopping. And the third for rent to customers to get the money back he payed for the bikes laugh.png

3 Lifan Cross: One is in the shop, one for spare parts, and the third for riding... there, fixed that for you :D :D

Oh yes imagine the headaches all three bikes with problems,dead customers where the brakes or wheel bearings failed,me having to sleep in the jungle overnight cause the bike failed me ,don't sound like much fun to me....lol

Bike rentals at the beaches mostly give out dangerous crappy bikes. You oviously worry too much. Take the thai people for example. They buy expensive Hondas, but do they worry about it? About resale value? About salt and sand, sun or rain? They ride the thing till it falls apart. And often that doesn't take long wink.png

I m sure lifan dissolves there like a sheet of toilet paper!

Tanin just ride it like you stole it man. Forget sand and salt. Dont worry. How many times can someone live and ride on a place like that in our lives?!

Edited by loserlazer

Weston beach race is brutal on bikes, not really comparable to riding on a beach in Thailand IMO. I never did the beach race but I used to ride a lot at Matchams MX World which is mainly sand. I never had any major issues, just jet washed the bike at the track before I packed up to leave and sprayed it with WD40.

Weston beach race is brutal on bikes, not really comparable to riding on a beach in Thailand IMO. I never did the beach race but I used to ride a lot at Matchams MX World which is mainly sand. I never had any major issues, just jet washed the bike at the track before I packed up to leave and sprayed it with WD40.

I think the word Brutal was invented for the Weston beach race tongue.png I used to do lots of Enduro's and some were in sand, Bordon being the worst, and didn't have any real problems but sand on a beach is a whole different thing

So I have been reading another forum and a few guys have swapped out their ecu and throttle body for the cbr ecu and 38 mm throttle body parts cost around 6000 bht and apparently big difference especially in 3rd to 6th gears any opinions on weather this Is a good idea any possible damage to other engine parts.

So I have been reading another forum and a few guys have swapped out their ecu and throttle body for the cbr ecu and 38 mm throttle body parts cost around 6000 bht and apparently big difference especially in 3rd to 6th gears any opinions on weather this Is a good idea any possible damage to other engine parts.

Interesting

I cannot see as there could be any damages inflicted due to the swap

They just increase fuel with the 38mm & needed the map of the cbr ecu

What sized throttle body comes stock on the Crf? 36mm?

Same as we use to do with carburetor bikes. But we could adjust spark timing

manually since it was pre-ecu

I imagine that mod coupled with a less restrictive exhaust & air filter than stock

would see even more gains...whether or not the cbr map would then be sufficient is another story

An adjustable ecu would be nice

Edited by mania

I think I will ask a few questions on the other forum tonight you must lose your low down power on the CRf if you do this which might not be two clever if off roading,might have to go and hire myself a cbr 250 for the day see what the actual power differences are between the two bikes.

I think I will ask a few questions on the other forum tonight you must lose your low down power on the CRf if you do this which might not be two clever if off roading,might have to go and hire myself a cbr 250 for the day see what the actual power differences are between the two bikes.

Not necessarily

mild Increased fuel flow or intake or exhaust does not have to translate

to bogging or loss of low end power.

Of course gearing & everything needs to be in sync for increased top speed change but initially

increasing flow in this small way is not going to be big enough to change low end IMO

It will increase high end though for sure & will not *improve* low end but, should not hurt it either.

Because low end is at partial throttle opening not full. You still have the same ability to only crack the throttle

partially on low end.

If one went crazy & moved up a few more mm in throttle body size then yes bogging off the bottom

would be likely. As valve & cam timing for such a large increase would be off too

But your idea to compare power characteristics of the cbr is a good idea.

But remember the other differences & take them into consideration

gearing,weight,intake & exhaust systems

Edited by mania

Not a nice thing to do but while I'm renting the cbr 250 I could just do a straight swap with the ecu and throttle body ,the hire shop will just get a slightly slower cbr back and I will have got a free modification on my bike,it's just a thought.

I'm not really the sort of person to pull a move like that but I could just swap them over to test it out ,the ecu is a two minuits plug in job what would be the likely effect on my bike if just changed ecu and not the throttle body.

I'm not really the sort of person to pull a move like that but I could just swap them over to test it out ,the ecu is a two minuits plug in job what would be the likely effect on my bike if just changed ecu and not the throttle body.

I cannot imagine swapping just the ECU from a bike with a bigger throttle body would be a good idea.

The ECU is after all a small computer with instructions to monitor fuel injection,ignition timing,& exhaust emissions.

Taking the one off the CBR & putting it on yours with smaller throttle body might be interpreted by the computer as

a lean condition. Is it true that the Honda CBR ECU's have a limp home mode? Meaning once an engine malfunction light is tripped

the ecu resorts to a lesser flow map to reduce injury to engine but allow you to limp home? Later the ECU is supposedly reset

by disconnecting the battery I believe I read. I am not sure of any of that & have only read it on various forums.

That aside, yes I cannot imagine a benefit by changing the ecu/instructions to the injectors,ignition etc.

without the hardware change to carry out or benefit from those instructions.

I hope I am not being inappropriate by asking this. I have read about prices on this and other forums for a crf250l. But when I asked a small dealer in Korat, then told me 150,000 baht. Maybe they were just shining me on. Are they still going out the showroom doors for 126,000 to 130,000 baht?

Thanks

think its a bit difficult to find them at 126k but any thing between 130-140k seems to be the price now ,if i was in the market to buy one now i would think 130 k is a good and fair price, if your paying cash just walk in a dealer that has one in stock and show them the 130k i reckon they will bite your hand of for the cash.......smile.png

I hope I am not being inappropriate by asking this. I have read about prices on this and other forums for a crf250l. But when I asked a small dealer in Korat, then told me 150,000 baht. Maybe they were just shining me on. Are they still going out the showroom doors for 126,000 to 130,000 baht?

Thanks

Just paid 133k in Samui so there will be cheaper about...I got the misses to phone the 126k ad (a few pages back) and they said they'd all gone.

As Tanin said, go in with 130k and see what happens thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Ordered a few bits and pieces for the bike just before I went back to work from CRF’s Only ([email protected]) and am well
impressed. I bought the Flatland Racing bash plate and radiator guard, plus fender eliminator, 13t front sprocket and bark busters.

20130424_134708_zps9081dd2f.jpg

Bash Plate

20130424_134655_zpseeb5b29f.jpg

Radiator Guard

20130424_134618_zps0adaba54.jpg

Tail Tidy

20130424_134726_zpsdd8d95ad.jpg

Bark Busters & Sprocket

Only slight problem now is I don’t have a bike to put them on...the day before I went back to work a friend came round and asked to have a
go before he went and bought one...’You bin it you buy it’ came into play and the bike now belongs to him. I was hoping that my new one would have turned up before I got back from work, but alas it hasn’t. According to the shop the production line is knocking out the CFR250M’s at the moment and will have to wait until next month for an ‘L’ ... sad.png

Nice at least you will have a brand new bike to put it all on,did you get this stuff delivered to Thailand if so what was delivery and customs cost.

Yeah...just hoping it is in a few days and not weeks

I had to have the stuff delivered to Oman because that's where my paypal address was (now changed)...they shipped Fedex and took about 5 days and US$114

• 4 weeks later...

mmm not envious at all sitting in uk looking at my old bike.......lol

new plastics and new rear tyre looking good happy trails.