Minor Collision Senario That Might Help All

smedly

OK so you have a minor collision with a motorbike taxi, said taxi pulls across in front of you without signal and both collide causing both to loose control and crash, MB Taxi has 3 passengers on board so a total of 4 people none wearing helmets, both travelling at about 30kmph

you go to police station and police say your fault.

MB taxi rider has no insurance - you do

police want you to pay 1000baht to each of the Thais from the MB taxi

next ?????

I would call my insurance company first and let them sort it out. Never had an accident on the bike but is has 1st class insurance. Some plonker drove into my truck on a roundabout, I called the insurance company, it was the other guys fault because I was on the roundabout and it was all sorted free of charge.

Heard this from my friend today.

His wife was in AA Insurance, Pattaya Tai to pay the policy renewal. Travelled there on her motorbike.

Lady in a Vigo was backing up, and knocked her motorbike over.

Said the lady in the Vigo - "You parked in my way"

Both were insured with AA Insurance.

Talk about fast claim settlement !!!

Back on topic - for sure call the insurance company and have them settle it. Who knows what will happen in the future re: this accident. You paid your money, let them earn it.

Its okay to call the insurance if you got the 1st class type insurance, but what about if you ride a small say Fino and only got the compulsory one? You smile and pay in most cases I would think.

Big bike or car, always have 1st class insurance, you never know what will happen around the next corner.

Its okay to call the insurance if you got the 1st class type insurance, but what about if you ride a small say Fino and only got the compulsory one? You smile and pay in most cases I would think.

Big bike or car, always have 1st class insurance, you never know what will happen around the next corner.

well now we are getting to the useful part of this senario, as I understand it regardless of what type of insurance you have you are always covered for 3rd party as in the west so even if your fault - and obviously any damage you suffer to yourself or your bike will not be covered - what is the issue with falangs going to police station and producing insurance to cover all 3rd party claims

I raised this issue because a friend of mine was in this situation - he had insurance but was intimidated by the police into paying out of his pocket - compensation to the thais involved in his incident - I said why did you not use your insurance and he basically said he wasn't allowed too

just food for thought for all on here

What was the damage? Sounds like no damage; just egos dented?

I live in a very busy soi and if a motorbike taxi cut in front of you, he wouldn't have time to indicate, and to be honest, he would not be expected to indicate. Maybe your friend did not brake quick enough and in the Thai mind it was his fault?

My reaction to the 1000 baht would be to try and knock them down. Try 500 baht and haggle upwards; don't want them to think its too easy to get money from farangs. If that doesn't work, then just pay! Sometimes its easier to pay and walk away with no hassles. Be polite and shake hands; accidents happen. If there was damage, money should really go to the motorbike taxi if he needs to pay to get it fixed and not to the passengers?

Edited by MaiChai

Motocy taxis have friends, bunch of motocy taxi friends, happy to witness you where wrong. Only take 2 of them unless you have more witnesses. I would call Insurance, and avoid talking until their rep shows up. Thats if you have proper 3 rd party or 1st class. Most ride around with only the compulsory (Por Or Bor) which do not send a rep, and covers only hospitalbills after they have been paid limited to 50k baht. With Por Or Bor only, I would pay before it gets ugly. Keep on smiling and being sorry for causing such inconvinience to the victims, and completing it all with a swai to victims and police.

Then let my frustration and anger out in a bar or on an internett forum

1. Whose fault was it?

2. Loose lose control

3. What were the injuries?

4. What was the cost of the damage?

5. Who have you got to accompany you to the police station? Know any middle class or public sector Thais?

6. Offer 100 Baht each to the motorbike taxi passengers and nothing to the driver.

well now we are getting to the useful part of this senario, as I understand it regardless of what type of insurance you have you are always covered for 3rd party as in the west so even if your fault - and obviously any damage you suffer to yourself or your bike will not be covered - what is the issue with falangs going to police station and producing insurance to cover all 3rd party claims

I raised this issue because a friend of mine was in this situation - he had insurance but was intimidated by the police into paying out of his pocket - compensation to the thais involved in his incident - I said why did you not use your insurance and he basically said he wasn't allowed too

just food for thought for all on here

So glad to hear that you, ahem, I mean, your friend walked away undamaged and only a few thousand baht lighter in the wallet. What's the point of having insurance if you're not going to use it? passifier.gif

• Like 1

The distinction I make in my mind is that if I have 3'd party insurance with an independent insurance agent, I've got someone to call - not to mention bail money. My coverage goes higher, but I'm just as interested in having someone able to intervene on my behalf. Insurance agents are far better equipped than I to deal with formalities and police. Nor do I find such coverage very expensive, either for a car (mine's older, so I self-insure) or a bike.

• Like 1