Windows7 - 32Bit Or 64Bit ?

expatman

I suspect if a new model laptop hardware there will be drivers available for 64 bit - think that is the only reason you might want to go with 32 bit. But no expert at all - my current computer came with 64 bit installed.

Performance-wise it'll make very little difference if your apps aren't also 64 bit versions, but one advantage you'll get with 64 bit is it'll use all 4Gb of your RAM. Only 3Gb with 32bit OS.

Are you doing an upgrade or a clean install? Personally I'd always do a clean install but obviously remember to dump your docs on an external drive first.

If it's a clean install try the 64 bit version - worst that can happen is you'll run into a rock and have to go back and try 32 bit...

Go with 64 bits...if your computer/CPU is not a 64 bit system the Windows install disk will tell you so when it starts up. If it tells you you have a 32 bit system, then just slide the 32 bit disk in.

And here's a Link that tells you how to find if your current computer is 64 bit capable before even sliding in a disk.

But before you start the upgrade be sure download all the drivers/utilities/programs that are unique to your laptop....most laptops are very picky about their drivers. You just may need to reinstall some of the drivers/etc after upgrading. You would get this laptop unique stuff from your laptop's manufacturers web site and the web site just may have special instructions for upgrading to Windows 7.

Good luck.

A lot depends on the hardware of your machine.

The 64bit version potentially allows access to much more memory, I have 8Gb installed

BUT the motherboard in your machine may not support 64bit addressing and therefore it will be overkill.

A brand and model number would help us pin it down for you.

I had 2 partitions, both using Windows XP, so I wanted to install Win7 in one of the partitions and keep XP in the other.

I tried installing the 64-bit version first, but could not run the setup (64 bit) when booting from my existing 32-bit system.

So I installed 32-bit Windows 7, which runs OK but cannot connect to Internet ! It appears my Wifi card (IntelProWireless 2200B) is too old, Intel does not provide driver for Win7. The laptop is less than 2 years old, this is a conspiracy by Intel/MS !

From Internet research it appears I may be able to use the Vista driver, but so far no luck.

The MS program "upgradeadvisor" made no mention of this problem !

I may wind up reformatting that partition, put back XP, and save the Win7 for another machine !

I had 2 partitions, both using Windows XP, so I wanted to install Win7 in one of the partitions and keep XP in the other.

I tried installing the 64-bit version first, but could not run the setup (64 bit) when booting from my existing 32-bit system.

So I installed 32-bit Windows 7, which runs OK but cannot connect to Internet ! It appears my Wifi card (IntelProWireless 2200B) is too old, Intel does not provide driver for Win7. The laptop is less than 2 years old, this is a conspiracy by Intel/MS !

From Internet research it appears I may be able to use the Vista driver, but so far no luck.

The MS program "upgradeadvisor" made no mention of this problem !

I may wind up reformatting that partition, put back XP, and save the Win7 for another machine !

Gosh, when you said your laptop was only 2 years old I figured you must be wrong about no Win7 drivers for the IntelProWireless 2200, but according to this Intel webpage your are correct. But I would think Vista drivers would work or whatever driver came with your laptop...be sure to check your laptop's manufacturer's website if not done already. Laptops can be so picky about their drivers/unique utility programs. Good luck.

My Toshiba's 3+ years old and I managed to get Win7 64bit on there so there's hope for you yet... Do persevere with it. Try the XP drivers (you may need to run the installer in xp compatibility mode and ignore a warning or two but they might work, according to what I've read)

One thing I'm puzzled about, is you bought the laptop 2 years ago but are you sure it wasn't already a 2 year old model by then (making it 4 years old)... That would explain why it's using a wifi card that was discontinued in 2008... ;)