Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Mark Harvey might be given the job at Brisbane.

I seriously doubt that Harvey would be a replacement.

If they haven't already got a replacement like Chocco Williams,

Roo's or Rodney Eade, they more than likely will look for a new

untried assistant coach IMO.

BTW, I think they have someone signed already.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AFL lays charges against James Hird, Essendon

Posted by: Shane McInnes, Matt Cram Fenella Wagener & Ned Franklin | 13 August, 2013 - 4:28 PM

7:30 UPDATE: James Hird, Bruce Reid, Danny Corcoran and Mark Thompson have been charged by the AFL for "engaging in conduct unbecoming or likely to prejudice interests or reputation of AFL or to bring game into disrepute."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/afl-lays-charges-against-james-hird-essendon/20130813-2rt0v.html

Edited by chooka

Essendon have been charged by the AFL with bringing the game into disrepute over last year's supplements saga.

Coach James Hird, senior assistant Mark Thompson, football manager Danny Corcoran and club doctor Bruce Reid have also been charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

The club and the four officials will face an AFL commission hearing on August 26, the AFL's general counsel Andrew Dillon announced on Tuesday night.

The charges stem from an Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) investigation into the club, which began in February, after the club reported concerns with their 2011-12 supplement program.

Dillon said on the evidence currently before the AFL, no anti-doping charges would be laid against Bombers players.

But the ASADA investigation remains ongoing.

"In relation to the Essendon players I can advise that although WADA has declared AOD9604 is a banned substance, on the information currently before the AFL there is no specific anti-doping rule violation attributed to any individual player for the use of AOD9604 or any other prohibited substance," Dillon said.

"As such at the present time there will be no infraction notices issued under the AFL anti-doping code.

"I note the investigation into Essendon's 2011-12 supplements program by ASADA and the AFL remains open and could lead to further charges under the AFL rules against other individuals."

It was just a thought after they put him up as interim coach.

Intersting tipping this week.

Essendon players will be feeling more relieved about no individual charges, but still the issue of points and finals is in their heads. Hird though, hard to believe his and his coaching staff's minds have been on the footy

Brisbane. Who knows how their players will respond.

It was just a thought after they put him up as interim coach.

You never know I guess.

I just would've thought that they would have to have a "big name" replacement

in place.

Just heard on 6pr that Brad Hardie thinks it's a 2 horse race between between

Harvey and Roo's.

Alistair Lynch who played golf with Roo's and is one of his best mates said today that

"he'd be surprised if Roo's took the job".

I guess more will come out in the days to come.

I think it fell apart early on when he signed Fev and got rid of a few club stalwarts.

Makes me think about the timing of the announcement though. Wonder if they already have a

replacement?

The news is already talking about Paul Roos! Of course he gets mentioned everywhere. Something about his family would prefer Queensland

You make a good point about big Fev. That was an error in judgement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time, Buckley, Hird and Voss were all being talked about as possible senior coaches at

some stage. Buckley took up an assistants job at Collingwood after he was going to WCE. Hird took the Essendon job with

Bomber Thomspon being his assistant and Vossy just jumped straight in.

At the time, I thought AFL coaching is so professional these days, to take up a head coach position with having been

an assistant coach would be quite hard. Even Leigh Matthews questioned it at the time.

If the poo hit's the fan, like it did early on over the trades, you really have no experience to count on.

Leigh Mathews said when asked about Vossy's future last week "coaches live and die by their win, loss ratio.

And a general guide is,that if you haven't played finals for 4 years, you're generally in trouble".

Seems he was right, again.

I think it fell apart early on when he signed Fev and got rid of a few club stalwarts.

Makes me think about the timing of the announcement though. Wonder if they already have a

replacement?

The news is already talking about Paul Roos! Of course he gets mentioned everywhere. Something about his family would prefer Queensland

You make a good point about big Fev. That was an error in judgement

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time, Buckley, Hird and Voss were all being talked about as possible senior coaches at

some stage. Buckley took up an assistants job at Collingwood after he was going to WCE. Hird took the Essendon job with

Bomber Thomspon being his assistant and Vossy just jumped straight in.

At the time, I thought AFL coaching is so professional these days, to take up a head coach position with having been

an assistant coach would be quite hard. Even Leigh Matthews questioned it at the time.

If the poo hit's the fan, like it did early on over the trades, you really have no experience to count on.

Leigh Mathews said when asked about Vossy's future last week "coaches live and die by their win, loss ratio.

And a general guide is,that if you haven't played finals for 4 years, you're generally in trouble".

Seems he was right, again.

Hard to argue with Leigh. His winning percentage at Brisbane was almost 70% and 3 premierships.

• Like 1

AFL finals to be a 'shambles': Malthouse

Posted by: Matt Cram | 14 August, 2013 - 11:32 AM
Mick Malthouse believes the AFL finals will be a "shambles", and he expects the saga to drag on into 2014.
Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

Mick Malthouse believes the AFL finals will be a "shambles", and he expects the saga to drag on into 2014.

Gee, it's not like Mick to get involved is itrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Gee, it's not like Mick to get involved is itrolleyes.gif

Carlton is relying on the bombers to be stripped of points so they can move into the eight, well maybe move in.

Essendon Bombers players were injected with a mystery substance bought in Mexico last year but club officials have since admitted to anti-doping authorities they do not know what it was, according to a report.

The substance, purchased overseas in a bottle by a Melbourne man suffering from muscular dystrophy, is not intended for use by sportspeople — and now some of the players and their families are worried about the health consequences, The Age reports.

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) has interviewed Bombers players and staff, including coach James Hird and the chiropractor who supplied the bottled drug to players.

But still they are reportedly unable to determine what was in the bottle.

The mystery Mexican supplement is a key example in ASADA's interim report of the inadequate supervision of Essendon's 2012 supplements program, The Age claims.

The supplement was given to players in a South Yarra hyperbaric chamber clinic owned by Mal Hooper, a chiropractor recently deregistered for providing unproven treatments to a cerebral palsy sufferer.

The supplement had been left behind by one of the clinic's patients.

Mr Hooper told ASADA investigators where the supplement was sourced but has refused to publicly reveal what was in the Mexican bottle other than saying that nothing in it breached anti-doping laws.

Mr Hooper's clinic promotes the benefits of using certain amino acids and peptides while undergoing hyperbaric chamber therapy.

Some have questioned why he would use a product from Mexico whose precise contents were unknown, given that amino acid and peptide supplements can be sourced easily from pharmacies in Australia.

Mr Hooper reportedly sent Essendon a $61,000 bill last September for treating players at his hyperbaric chamber during the 2012 season.

ASADA's investigation into the Mexican supplement is ongoing

Paul Roos hasn't shut the door entirely on coaching in the AFL again but the Brisbane Lions have a tough job swinging it wide open for him.

Roos on Wednesday poured cold water on speculation the former Sydney Swans premiership mentor was preparing to move north.

A day after the shock decision to end Michael Voss's tenure, Brisbane chairman Angus Johnson conceded his board was under immense pressure to lure a high-profile successor to the Gabba.

Johnson confirmed the widely touted Roos is among a short-list of proven candidates the Lions have contacted about taking the club's improving playing list to "the next level".

The Fitzroy great is seen as a perfect replacement for Voss as a former Lion and a coach who lifted the popularity and success of the Swans in another rugby league-dominated city.

The Lions, who last made the finals in Voss's debut season in 2009, have lost their lustre from the 2001-03 glory days and are also struggling financially, highlighted by their request for a significant boost from the AFL.

But Roos says he has no interest in a coaching return, after three years on the sidelines, in spite of speaking with Brisbane and Melbourne officials in the past two months.

"There's no interest until I change my mind," he told Fox Sports. "At this point, I haven't even got my head around doing it.

"There would have to be a change in some of the other things I'm doing. I'm getting a coaching component at the Swans with the academy so I enjoy doing that."

Roos wouldn't be pushed on which job attracted him more, admitting there were "pretty different challenges" between the improving Lions and struggling Demons.

"I'm not going to rush a decision," he said. "At the moment, the decision is I'm not going to coach."

Strengthening the links for Brisbane is Roos' close friendship with Alastair Lynch, who still has strong ties with the Lions.

But Lynch said he'd be surprised if the 2005 premiership-winning coach would take over at the Gabba.

For the rest of this season, former Fremantle mentor Mark Harvey will be Brisbane's interim coach.

Johnson confidently predicted the club would swiftly replace Voss with a proven coach who could build on the foundations that had been set.

"The football club has a very bright future," he said. "We're on the right track and we have been making the right decisions over the last few years and we're making significant progress.

"Not offering Michael a new contract has been nothing more than requiring a fresh approach.

"We took the decision Vossy had taken the group as far as we believed he could and it was time to make a change."

Voss, who had a 40 per cent win record, received a long round of applause from Lions players, officials and assistant coaches after a 35-minute media conference with Johnson and chief executive Malcolm Holmes.

While disappointed, the triple-premiership-winning captain said there was no bad blood between him and the club.

"The final few moments of where I sit will not take away 22 years of my experience at the club," he said.

This was taken from the AFL website

attachicon.gifEssendon Nth melbourne.JPG

Note !!! No odds are given for the Essendon / Nth Melbourne game.

Ah but there Geelong are taking on both the West Coast and Sydney. Still 9 games. The cats are lending a hand to saints to try and even up the game.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

This was taken from the AFL website

attachicon.gifEssendon Nth melbourne.JPG

Note !!! No odds are given for the Essendon / Nth Melbourne game.

Ah but there Geelong are taking on both the West Coast and Sydney. Still 9 games. The cats are lending a hand to saints to try and even up the game.

They do that quite often and put a game from next weeks fixtures at the bottom although usually it's after the friday night game has been played or being played.

Edited by Ron19

I was reading that:

"WEST Coast veterans Adam Selwood and Mark Nicoski have announced their retirement from AFL football.

The two 29-year-olds held veteran status on West Coast's list in 2013 but neither is going to play on next year.

Selwood has played just eight games in 2013 as he has battled ongoing back issues.

The 186-game stalwart has been a loyal lieutenant for Eagles coach John Worsfold over his 11-season career and will retire at season's end."

I was not aware of the Veteran rules until now. Amazed that at 29 years of age you can be considered a veteran!

Here are the rules for Veterans and salary cap allowance:

Veterans’ Allowance

The previous Veterans’ List allowance has been replaced with clubs now granted a salary cap allowance for players with 10 completed years or more with the club.

There is no longer an age requirement of 30 years.

The amount of the allowance has been calculated as a fixed percentage of Total Player Payments (TPP) per player based on the average amount of football payments excluded from the TPP for players on the Veterans’ List for seasons 2007-09, divided by the average number of players with 10 or more years’ service at one club during that period.

The fixed percentage has been set at 1.229 per cent and the allowance per player in 2013 is $112,320.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/veteran-players

Paul Roos hasn't shut the door entirely on coaching in the AFL again but the Brisbane Lions have a tough job swinging it wide open for him. Roos on Wednesday poured cold water on speculation the former Sydney Swans premiership mentor was preparing to move north.

If Roos did take it up I think he would do so after the regular season anyway. I'm not sure he would even want to. He seems to have plenty on his plate at the moment.

• Like 1