Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Aussie rules !!

To be honest, I was never a big fan.

Although I barracked for Brisbane Lions smile.png

I remember they won the Grand Final two years in a row, not exactly sure which two lols.

It's the number religion in Australia. Your not an aussie if you don't follow the football.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aussie rules !!

To be honest, I was never a big fan.

Although I barracked for Brisbane Lions smile.png

I remember they won the Grand Final two years in a row, not exactly sure which two lols.

The Brisbane Lions of the era you remember were a great team, who went on to win 3 in a row. Australian Rules can be an acquired taste. Maybe it helps to have a partner or family who are into the game?

There are a lot of women becoming supporters these day though. An average Sydney crowd seems like it has 40% female spectators. Of course the Sydney Swans are probably the cream of the crop when it comes to following an AFL team, so they do make it easy to like the game and it has a large social aspect to it

• Like 1

The AFL has issued a damning 30-page report detailing the grounds on which it has charged Essendon with bringing the game into disrepute.

The League has also called a special meeting for Thursday to brief all clubs on the charges it has laid against the Bombers.

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick will brief the presidents of all 18 clubs at the meeting, at AFL House at 3pm (AEST).

There is much more detail but I decided to keep away it.

What's the chances of Essendon being kicked out of the finals?

It seems not likely to happen now?

I'm not saying who I think it is but does anyone else get the idea that the truth isn't being told somewhere along the line ?

Luckily this is being played out in Australia, god help the AFL if this was in Thailand, defamation suits all round! Damaging his reputation, what absolute rot!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-21/afl-out-to-damage-my-reputation-hird

This line cracks me up "The AFL is determined to punish the Essendon Football Club – and four individuals personally – as though we were drug cheats," Little said.

Thanks to Captain Obvious for pointing that out...

In more important news... With a Top 4 berth already assured, no need to rush them back in, but all going well Goodesy back for finals is ok by me wink.png

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-20/jetta-reid-on-track-for-hawks

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

And my tips for the weekend...

Collingwood

Adelaide

Hawthorn

Sydney

Essendon

Freo

Gold Coast

Richmond

Brisbane

I don't think Sydney will push things... They would have to beat both hawks and Geelong to be #2 plus an unlikely higher percentage than freo.. presuming Frei wins... So they may keep any tricks in their pocket..

Of course if Sydney beat geelong, hawks may not care about their final game against Sydney as they will have #1 wrapped up, so Sydney could win in a canter :P

rips right BookMan, Essendon's the long shot this week Posted Image Paying $3 for the win...

So much turmoil going on with Essendon it makes it hard to back them

Both Essendon and Swans are $2.75 to win this morning with TAB

Luckily I backed them yesterday hahaha...

It's hard to see them getting up in their last 2 games with all that is going on..

Well at least they're not in the top 4, so the rest is of no consequence for me.

Had they still been contending for that spot in the 4, I'd be swinging from the rooftop calling for Demetriou to pull his finger out...

Putting on my tin foil headgear...

Essendon have deliberately tanked (lost 4 on the trot) in order to put themselves in a position of sympathy from the public and the afl from stripping them of points as it will be of no consequence. Interestingly the plans blown up in their face as the AFL appears to be dragging it out, although currently they're assured of at worst 8th and will (as it stands) play at least the first week in September.

I'm surprised we haven't seen more from the teams in positions 9-12 on this as they're all potentially able to make the 8 should Essendon be stripped of points.

Not sure if anyone remembers the Melbourne Storm salary cap scandal a few years ago, they were stripped of points for the current season (it was decided midway through the season I think) and stripped of previous premierships and made to play the rest of the season for naught.

I dislike Rugby League with a passion, save for State of Origin and Test Series but the AFL should have taken notice of this and applied the same.

Even if it proves that Essendon did nothing illegal, the charge of bringing the game into disrepute should still be applied and they should be stripped of points for this season and should they be found guilty then also a number of points for next season.

Moving on...

Having just looked at the ladder and remaining matches..

Seems entirely possible that Freo could take out the minor premiership if a number of things fall their way...

Hawthorn lose to both North and the Swans which is entirely possible given that North dispatched of Geelong a few weeks ago and they play Sydney at home.

Geelong lose to Swans on Saturday.

The Dockers only need to beat both Port and Saint Kilda which shouldn't be too difficult given they play Port at home...

Sydney can take it with 2 wins as they play both Geelong and Hawthorn.

Going to go and have a butchers to see what the odds are on those hahaha :D

AFL presidents back league's stance
By Greg Buckle
18:20 AEST Thu Aug 22 2013

AFL clubs have backed the league's stance that charges relating to Essendon's use of supplements should be heard by the AFL Commission and not by an outside tribunal.

The league's 18 clubs met AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick for more than two-and-a-half hours at AFL House on Thursday to be briefed on the situation over Essendon's supplements scandal.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8710750

• Like 1

Fremantle paying $13 to take out the Minor Premiership, Sydney paying $15

Interesting...

EDIT - wrong "premiership" ;)

Everything u say is indeed possible... But based on hawks and feeling losing I'd favor freo due to percentage
*feeling = Geelong

Phone auto correct :-)

Law firm in talks with Essendon player: Reports
Posted by: 3AW News | 23 August, 2013 - 7:16 AM

One of Melbourne's top compensation law firms has been in talks with an Essendon player.

Holding Redlich says while it can't comment directly on the matter, it is understood it has provided advice.

It has also been revealed that Essendon players could terminate their contracts because of the clubs failure to provide a safe workplace.

Players would be free to enter the draft with no compensation provided to the club.

Player manager Peter Jess says the AFL must now establish a system that would allow troubled Essendon players to move clubs.

Just heard on the radio that James Hird may announce that he is stepping down as coach. Essendon is expected to hold a news conference shortly.

Anyway my tips for round 22

COLLINGWOOD

ADELAIDE

HAWTHORN

GEELONG

ESSENDON

FREMANTLE

ST KILDA

RICHMOND

FOOTSCRAY

Hello to you all, my tips for Round 22

Collingwood

Adelaide

Hawthorn

Geelong

Carlton

Fremantle

Saint Kilda

Richmond

Brisbane

I am fortunate enough to be going to the dockers match tomorrow at Subiaco

I thought you were a bulldogs supporter Gazman?

No finals for Bombers, club chief hints
By Greg Buckle
20:02 AEST Fri Aug 23 2013

Essendon appear to be close to accepting a deal from the AFL to be stripped of premiership points and miss out on a place in next month's final series over their use of supplements.

Bombers' chairman Paul Little released a statement to members on the club's website on Friday apologising for mistakes made concerning governance issues and hinting the matter could be resolved very soon.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8711046

And this comes out after I put my tips in.......................

Edited by chooka

No finals for Bombers, club chief hints

By Greg Buckle

Essendon appear to be close to accepting a deal from the AFL to be stripped of premiership points and miss out on a place in next month's final series over their use of supplements.

Bombers' chairman Paul Little released a statement to members on the club's website on Friday apologising for mistakes made concerning governance issues and hinting the matter could be resolved very soon.

They could still win chooka...

No finals for Bombers, club chief hints

By Greg Buckle

They could still win chooka...

Yes they could but what have they got to play for, and what has Carlton now got to play for?

Geez North played well just ran out of puff in the end... Some ordinary umpiring as well..

Now onto the Swannies game.. Looks like Mumford is going to miss a game or two..

Shaws probably gone for the season too by the looks of it..

Going to be a good game otherwise if the first quarter is anything to go by..