Australian Rules Football For The Aussies In Thai

Those in the GWS sights include Essendon's Jake Carlisle, West Coast’s Nic Naitanui and Fremantle's Nathan Fyfe.

I had a feeling SYdney was interested in Nic also..

Unlikely now if they get Buddy

Stop it Bookman.

Last season was hard enough, but if Nic goes, they'll have to put me on suicide watchw00t.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Herald Sun footy writer Jon Anderson looks at the biggest trades/defections in VFL/AFL history

• by: Jon Anderson
  • October 01, 2013 1:00PM

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/herald-sun-footy-writer-jon-anderson-looks-at-the-biggest-tradesdefections-in-vflafl-history/story-fnfll94y-1226730093220

Guess the Tippett trade sits at #11 :P

Good to see everyone forgetting Judd and Ablett Jnr switching clubs as well :P

Herald Sun footy writer Jon Anderson looks at the biggest trades/defections in VFL/AFL history

• by: Jon Anderson
  • October 01, 2013 1:00PM

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/herald-sun-footy-writer-jon-anderson-looks-at-the-biggest-tradesdefections-in-vflafl-history/story-fnfll94y-1226730093220

Guess the Tippett trade sits at #11 tongue.png

Good to see everyone forgetting Judd and Ablett Jnr switching clubs as well tongue.png

Ablett was #5 mate.

Surely he should have been higher

He aint at Sydney yet!! Franklin's nine-year, $10 million offer from Swans
THE SYDNEY Swans' audacious bid to sign Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin is centred on a staggering nine-year contract worth $10 million.
The Swans have confirmed they have made an offer to Franklin's management and AFL.com.au understands the proposed deal covers the 2014-22 seasons, by the end of which Franklin would be 35.

It is understood the deal has been worked on for 12 months. It will be lodged officially with the AFL on Friday, under the terms of the free agency rules.
Given Franklin is a restricted free agent, Hawthorn will have to match both the term and amount of the Swans' offer to keep the two-time Coleman medallist.
If the Hawks match the Swans' offer, the Swans would be forced to trade to bring Franklin to the Harbour City.
The only longer-term contract in recent memory is the 10-year deal the Brisbane Bears offered Alastair Lynch to entice him from Fitzroy at the end of 1993.

He aint at Sydney yet!!Franklin's nine-year, $10 million offer from Swans
THE SYDNEY Swans' audacious bid to sign Hawthorn superstar Lance Franklin is centred on a staggering nine-year contract worth $10 million.
The Swans have confirmed they have made an offer to Franklin's management and AFL.com.au understands the proposed deal covers the 2014-22 seasons, by the end of which Franklin would be 35.

It is understood the deal has been worked on for 12 months. It will be lodged officially with the AFL on Friday, under the terms of the free agency rules.

Given Franklin is a restricted free agent, Hawthorn will have to match both the term and amount of the Swans' offer to keep the two-time Coleman medallist.
If the Hawks match the Swans' offer, the Swans would be forced to trade to bring Franklin to the Harbour City.
The only longer-term contract in recent memory is the 10-year deal the Brisbane Bears offered Alastair Lynch to entice him from Fitzroy at the end of 1993.

Hawks won't match that.

Just saw on the channel news that the AFL are going to review the swans Cost of Living allowance and conduct an investigation into the move. All persons involved will be interviewed.

The swans get approximately 1 mil per year for the cost of living allowance so basically all they are using for Buddy is this allowance. Virtually getting him for free.

Edited by chooka

He aint at Sydney yet!!Franklin's nine-year, $10 million offer from Swans

Hawks won't match that.

Just saw on the channel news that the AFL are going to review the swans Cost of Living allowance and conduct an investigation into the move. All persons involved will be interviewed.

The swans get approximately 1 mil per year for the cost of living allowance so basically all they are using for Buddy is this allowance. Virtually getting him for free.

Interesting that there wasn't the same furore when he was going to GWS tongue.png

Still...he ain't with us yet!

How the COLA is applied

With the COLA, the Club is required to pay an additional 9.8 per cent of the salary cap to all players to compensate for the higher cost of living in Sydney. Our estimates suggest the true cost of living disparity is closer to 15 per cent and there is no shortage of evidence to support this. An October 2012 report by Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC), titled Cities of Opportunity, indicates that Sydney is the second most expensive city in the world after Tokyo.

A major point of contention is the suggestion that we have ‘stored’ the COLA and used it to recruit players, such as Kurt Tippett. That is simply incorrect.

Every player contract at the Sydney Swans stipulates that the COLA must be paid in addition to the agreed contract figure. Every player has a manager, and every one of those managers is aware the Club has the COLA. The COLA is also added to the standard contracts of rookie listed players. Like all Clubs, each contract that is signed is reviewed by the AFL.

See Statement here

Personal opinion or known fact chooka?

Just what they mentioned on Channel 9 news Melbourne. .

Personal opinion or known fact chooka?

Just what they mentioned on Channel 9 news Melbourne. .

Ahhhh... Explains a lot then... Channel 9... Eddie McEverywhere... No axe to grind there whistling.gif

As both BM and I have pointed out by way of Andrew Ireland's statement earlier this year, the CoLA can not be utilised by 1 player and is built in and stated in the contract which is in turn signed off by the AFL having viewed and approved the contract.

Telling half the story to suit the agenda is the media's specialty...

LANCE Franklin's plans to move to Sydney began soon after the 2012 Grand Final loss to the Swans.

Franklin’s manager Liam Pickering contacted the Swans and said Franklin would like to play for them in 2014.

Talks were held during this season, before they were ramped up in the past eight weeks, culminating with today's stunning development — and nine-year deal worth $10 million.

Swans chief executive Andrew Ireland confirmed to the Herald Sun Franklin contacted Sydney and not vice versa.

"We got a general sense around the end of last season he would like to play for us,’’ Ireland said.

"The difficulty was the Kurt Tippett thing was going through and we did that, and then nothing much happened.

Read Here

• Like 1

All good news for swans fans but what about us Saints people, news just coming from St Kilda is Montagna wants to move on and Carlton and West Coast are interested and the saddest news is Collingwood are after Nick Riewoldt.

All good news for swans fans but what about us Saints people, news just coming from St Kilda is Montagna wants to move on and Carlton and West Coast are interested and the saddest news is Collingwood are after Nick Riewoldt.

Yeah Saints need some rebuilding.

I thought you would have been happy to see Montagna go, make room for some youngsters?

Would Riewoldt be likely to leave St Kilda?

I thought you would have been happy to see Montagna go, make room for some youngsters?

with Dal Santo going to north and if montagna goes then that only leaves Lenny Hayes in the mid field as he is 32 and on his last legs. Injury will probably knock him out for good next year. Saints don't have a backline as it has been gutted through recent retirements the forward line is stretched with Milne and Kosi gone and saad facing a possible 2 yr ban and if Nick goes geez then GWS will have a more experienced team and better draft picks to build it up even better. losing a dozen players in one hit doesn't leave much experience to guide the kids.

Edited by chooka

with Dal Santo going to north and if montagna goes then that only leaves Lenny Hayes in the mid field as he is 32 and on his last legs. Injury will probably knock him out for good next year. Saints don't have a backline as it has been gutted through recent retirements the forward line is stretched with Milne and Kosi gone and saad facing a possible 2 yr ban and if Nick goes geez then GWS will have a more experienced team and better draft picks to build it up even better.

Who is coaching ST Kilda next year?

with Dal Santo going to north and if montagna goes then that only leaves Lenny Hayes in the mid field as he is 32 and on his last legs. Injury will probably knock him out for good next year. Saints don't have a backline as it has been gutted through recent retirements the forward line is stretched with Milne and Kosi gone and saad facing a possible 2 yr ban and if Nick goes geez then GWS will have a more experienced team and better draft picks to build it up even better.

Whoever has it,i'd go after all the free agents.

Corey,chapman,hunt,mcguane,edwards etc,they cant afford more kids in there.

That still to be confirmed. Watters and the club are still discussing contracts and rumour has it that the playing group don't like him. Knowing our luck they will probably give it to Watters again. Personally I think he is a terrible coach who probably picked up his overbearing attitude from Mick Malthouse who he was an assistant with. I had never heard of the guy until he ended up at St Kilda.

The American NFL system has 2 conferences and 4 divisions of 5 teams each, divisional champions automatically get a play off spot followed by 2 wild card spots (best performing teams in your conference).

One team will win through a knock out series to be conference champions that will meet winner of second conference in the Super bowel, excuse me American friends if there are some mistakes but its essence is how I described.

Take English premier league, 20 teams play for the championship, only 1 team can take the crown, every team in the FA (every football team pro and amateur ) plays off for the FA Cup, think the 5 divisions of pro football clubs play off for the League Cup. Top finishing 3 or 4 clubs automatically play off on the Champions League, next 2 clubs earn a Europa Cup spot etc etc, if you won a league or FA cup in your country you qualify for something else etc etc...

Yes ive heard and read all the arguments regarding a conference style for AFL but I like to remind you were not 12 teams anymore, were 18 and it will end up 20 within 10 ys, the fact of the matter is its a business and to stay viable we need to create many winners as the Americans do with not just NFL but with baseball and basketball.

Its a big deal to win a playoff spot and even a bigger deal to win your division in the NFL, its a big deal to earn a place in Europe with the English clubs, im not advocating copying one of these sytems im just saying we need to create more winners because right now we only have one winner and that's the Hawks, Fro are forgotten and GWS, Dees, Saints and Bulldogs are just making up numbers.

The AFL needs to come up with a way to reward more than one club, the AFL meddled the preseason cup to death as there doing with the rules...hope they give it a rest next season, I cant understand some of the umps decisions these days.

And I agree we should scrap the draft entitlements and model them on the NFL, last do not get first pick, its more or less a raffle your position is pulled out of a barrel, this will definitely stop tanking and make the lower clubs more accountable, in other words there going to have to rise the bar to compete.

I don't mind the idea of two conferences. As you point out there is now 18 teams and there could easily be 22 supported within 10 years. One problem with conferences though is that each team may not play each other team at least once. I like that idea that you do get to see teams play each other at least once

The season could be extended, but there is many issues with that, one being the availability of grounds. Another is the wear on players. The game is played fast and hard now and a longer season would be fairly tough. There could be further limits on interchanges, or more super subs allowed (compulsory 3 subs per team per game)

In the NFL a team plays each member of his division twice, there were 16 games pre season im pretty sure its been extended that makes 8 games the following 8 plus games are seeded means if you finished 3rd in your division you play all the other teams that finished 3rd in there division, it goes something like that.

What would I suggest? I prefer to seed clubs I like the idea of 4 divisions north south east and west top 2 clubs automatically make playoffs say 2 wild card positions for best win loss ratio, 10 teams play off for the finals in sudden death. To choose who plays who in finals you can do what they do in soccer...a draw....

Each club in northern div plays each other twice then seeded as the NFL does it 4th plays 4th etc.

No need to make season longer you could go to 8 div games and 8 seeded games that's 16 you could get another 4 seeded games in a new formula end of first half of the season...who knows...that's 22 ...fixed 4 practice games, there also bit of a big deal end of story.

Don't think you can get much fairer than that, your creating div champions, playoff spots, half the league is playing finals.

break

The American NFL system has 2 conferences and 4 divisions of 5 teams each, divisional champions automatically get a play off spot followed by 2 wild card spots (best performing teams in your conference).

One team will win through a knock out series to be conference champions that will meet winner of second conference in the Super bowel, excuse me American friends if there are some mistakes but its essence is how I described.

Take English premier league, 20 teams play for the championship, only 1 team can take the crown, every team in the FA (every football team pro and amateur ) plays off for the FA Cup, think the 5 divisions of pro football clubs play off for the League Cup. Top finishing 3 or 4 clubs automatically play off on the Champions League, next 2 clubs earn a Europa Cup spot etc etc, if you won a league or FA cup in your country you qualify for something else etc etc...

Yes ive heard and read all the arguments regarding a conference style for AFL but I like to remind you were not 12 teams anymore, were 18 and it will end up 20 within 10 ys, the fact of the matter is its a business and to stay viable we need to create many winners as the Americans do with not just NFL but with baseball and basketball.

Its a big deal to win a playoff spot and even a bigger deal to win your division in the NFL, its a big deal to earn a place in Europe with the English clubs, im not advocating copying one of these sytems im just saying we need to create more winners because right now we only have one winner and that's the Hawks, Fro are forgotten and GWS, Dees, Saints and Bulldogs are just making up numbers.

The AFL needs to come up with a way to reward more than one club, the AFL meddled the preseason cup to death as there doing with the rules...hope they give it a rest next season, I cant understand some of the umps decisions these days.

And I agree we should scrap the draft entitlements and model them on the NFL, last do not get first pick, its more or less a raffle your position is pulled out of a barrel, this will definitely stop tanking and make the lower clubs more accountable, in other words there going to have to rise the bar to compete.

I don't mind the idea of two conferences. As you point out there is now 18 teams and there could easily be 22 supported within 10 years. One problem with conferences though is that each team may not play each other team at least once. I like that idea that you do get to see teams play each other at least once

The season could be extended, but there is many issues with that, one being the availability of grounds. Another is the wear on players. The game is played fast and hard now and a longer season would be fairly tough. There could be further limits on interchanges, or more super subs allowed (compulsory 3 subs per team per game)

In the NFL a team plays each member of his division twice, there were 16 games pre season im pretty sure its been extended that makes 8 games the following 8 plus games are seeded means if you finished 3rd in your division you play all the other teams that finished 3rd in there division, it goes something like that.

What would I suggest? I prefer to seed clubs I like the idea of 4 divisions north south east and west top 2 clubs automatically make playoffs say 2 wild card positions for best win loss ratio, 10 teams play off for the finals in sudden death. To choose who plays who in finals you can do what they do in soccer...a draw....

Each club in northern div plays each other twice then seeded as the NFL does it 4th plays 4th etc.

No need to make season longer you could go to 8 div games and 8 seeded games that's 16 you could get another 4 seeded games in a new formula end of first half of the season...who knows...that's 22 ...fixed 4 practice games, there also bit of a big deal end of story.

Don't think you can get much fairer than that, your creating div champions, playoff spots, half the league is playing finals.

Would that take away incentive to finish on top and earn a break? or would they still get it.

break

Would that take away incentive to finish on top and earn a break? or would they still get it.

My suggestion is just a rough draft we could aussie it up think the top 2 clubs per conference get a bye going into playoffs in the NFL, the playoffs are sudden death, no second chances.

Mr Chooka...looks like the Saints for wooden spoon 2014, your players are abandoning ship and yes watters cant be liked must be something about ex Collingwood assistant coaches hey?

Your man played for the Eagles, im surprised you never heard of him, he ran around with a mop top or half afro head of hair depending on the washing machine cycle, he was a fair player nothing to spectacular as at that time the weagles had a pretty good team, and yeah I raised my eyebrows when he was appointed, really don't know how he got the job, Saints still looked like an attractive proposition back then, just goes to show you how smart Ross Lyon was to get out while the going was good...

Riewolt wont leave ya he is on his last legs now, to stay they will canonize him, to go he most likely would falter, Trade for Boyd, change your coach and plan for the future.

Mr Chooka...looks like the Saints for wooden spoon 2014, your players are abandoning ship and yes watters cant be liked must be something about ex Collingwood assistant coaches hey?

Your man played for the Eagles, im surprised you never heard of him, he ran around with a mop top or half afro head of hair depending on the washing machine cycle, he was a fair player nothing to spectacular as at that time the weagles had a pretty good team, and yeah I raised my eyebrows when he was appointed, really don't know how he got the job, Saints still looked like an attractive proposition back then, just goes to show you how smart Ross Lyon was to get out while the going was good...

Riewolt wont leave ya he is on his last legs now, to stay they will canonize him, to go he most likely would falter, Trade for Boyd, change your coach and plan for the future.

The way it's going there won't be anyone left at the end of the week. The CEO has already quit as has the president.

Graham gone: more off-field changes at St Kilda

By Jennifer Phelan 12:38pm AEST Tuesday, October 1, 2013

THERE has been another football department departure at St Kilda, with assistant coach Jaymie Graham leaving the club.

His departure comes in a period of transition for both the club's football department and the playing list.

Football manager Greg Hutchison was made redundant last month, with his duties redistributed through the football department run by head of football Chris Pelchen.

There is also speculation over the future of veteran stars Nick Dal Santo and Leigh Montagna and the club has not ruled out Nick Riewoldt being on the trade table.

Pelchen confirmed that there was a chance the captain would leave the club during this year's trade period.

Would the last person leaving please put the cat out and lock the door.....

AFL is prepared to block Sydneys nine-year, $10 million offer for Lance Franklin

THE AFL is prepared to block Sydneys nine-year, $10 million offer for Lance Franklin because it could destroy the clubs list if he retires early.

The league will investigate a potential $4 million-plus payout to Franklin that could be included in a single year if the 26-year-old is delisted or walks away after only five seasons.

The AFL will be prepared to save Sydney from itself by blocking the deal or ensuring the Swans significantly alter it.

The AFL confirmed it would investigate the deal, interviewing key Sydney officials to ensure they understand the ramifications if the deal backfires.

“As part of the review process by the AFL’s Legal, Integrity and Compliance Depart-ment, key people involved in the proposed Franklin arrangement — at this stage a non-binding offer of a nine-year deal — will be interviewed in the coming days,’’ the league said in a statement.

See Full Article HEre

That still to be confirmed. Watters and the club are still discussing contracts and rumour has it that the playing group don't like him. Knowing our luck they will probably give it to Watters again. Personally I think he is a terrible coach who probably picked up his overbearing attitude from Mick Malthouse who he was an assistant with. I had never heard of the guy until he ended up at St Kilda.

Watters seems to be stripping the club not building it.

One good thing for you is that St Kilda must have a sh*#load of money to buy some players now so many of their older top players have gone