Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

Update:

Last three times, had to ASK for the chips. How would non-regulars KNOW to ask?

Margaritas NOT filled high enough in the glass.

Fruit salsas have gotten way too much sugar now. Ruins the taste of the tacos they are served with. (You've been warned.)

Carnitas even without the fruit ruining it has gone too sweet. Thai chef palate alert!

Can no longer suggest the birria as the meat is way too tough and there is no spice in the broth

Salsas not always topped up at the bar.

Soft corn tortillas are falling apart again.

Sorry.

Wouldn't it have been a much easier to read post if you instead had only listed the items that are worth ordering?

Possibly. But less fun I guess. coffee1.gif

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the place has gone tits-up already...what's it been 3 or 4 months? Not surprised as I never understood what all the fuss was about, considering the quality of the food served at their BKK outlets.

You know where in the world you can eat the best Italian food?................in New York

You know where in the world you can eat the best Japanese food?..............in Paris

You know where in the world you can eat the best Mexican food?.............Don't bother there is no such thing.

Don't brag about your ignorance regarding Mexican food, please.

If it was ignorance,then how do you explain that Mexican restaurants are far and behind in every country in the world,except the US of course, and that I haven't read yet any good responses about Mexican restaurants in Thailand.I mean good reviews after the dust has settled.

I don't have a problem finding honest recommendations about French,Japanese,Italian or Chinese restaurants.

Update:

Fruit salsas have gotten way too much sugar now. Ruins the taste of the tacos they are served with. (You've been warned.)

Carnitas even without the fruit ruining it has gone too sweet. Thai chef palate alert!

Can no longer suggest the birria as the meat is way too tough and there is no spice in the broth

Sorry.

Wouldn't it have been a much easier to read post if you instead had only listed the items that are worth ordering?

Possibly. But less fun I guess. coffee1.gif

Or maybe there would have been no post in that case.whistling.gif

There is obviously no great Mexican restaurant in Thailand! Last time I checked there is no great Thai restaurant in Mexico either!

Did you notice that I wrote" Mexican restaurants are far and behind in every country".I know great Thai restaurants in almost every country I have visited,but I can't say the same about Mexican restaurants.

Update:

Sorry.

No owner on premises, you think...?

Out and out defamation has been removed. Let me make it clear that slanderous defamatory comments are not allowed on this forum and further such posts will be removed and that poster suspended as well.

The prices they charge with the ++ have caused me to pull this place from my list. The taco days were OK but I quickly lost interest.

I would love to find decent Mexican food in pattaya but I'm not holding my breath.

The prices they charge with the ++ have caused me to pull this place from my list. The taco days were OK but I quickly lost interest.

I would love to find decent Mexican food in pattaya but I'm not holding my breath.

As well you shouldn't until there is a mass immigration of Mexicans to Russia ...whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Free chips are starting to be a thing of the past. Even Tequila Reef is quite clear that with rising costs they can no longer give customers free chips.

They are not a thing of the past at Sunrise. Like I said, just ask for them. If someone is told no or charged for the small serving of comped chips, please report that here! For now, assume they are free!

Free chips are starting to be a thing of the past. Even Tequila Reef is quite clear that with rising costs they can no longer give customers free chips.

How expensive is a little corn, water, and salt (all easily sourced locally)? Throw in some oil and a few bahts worth of gas for frying and walla...cheap and tasty corn chips!

Making me ask for free chips, as opposed to buying an order of chips, from staff who barely speak English or understand my gibberish Thai is absurd and annoying.

Just say CHIPS. They're all trained and the Pinoy ones are of course fluent in English.

I agree it's annoying to have to ask. Something that could be fixed ... hint, hint.

Edited by Jingthing

How expensive is a little corn, water, and salt (all easily sourced locally)? Throw in some oil and a few bahts worth of gas for frying and walla...cheap and tasty corn chips!

Suggest you learn how to make corn tortillas before making assumptions about how easily they are made.

Suggest you learn how to make corn tortillas before making assumptions about how easily they are made.

So are Moderators allowed to flame?

• Like 2

So are Moderators allowed to flame?

It was not a flame--it was a spot-on post. It's a huge challenge to get or make good tortillas in Thailand, and the person who claimed it was just corn and water was saying the equivalent of 'wine is just grapes and foot juice.' The moderator simply and politely pointed this out--no flames involved.

That video shows the cook making tortilla chips from from already made tortillas which is easy, though this woman does it the politically correct way and bakes them I suspect the best tortilla chips are deep fried. The problem that sbk pointed out is making (good) tortillas is not easy.

That video shows the cook making tortilla chips from from already made tortillas which is easy, though this woman does it the politically correct way and bakes them I suspect the best tortilla chips are deep fried. The problem that sbk pointed out is making (good) tortillas is not easy.

Does Sunrise Tacos make their corn tortillas from scratch?

A simple, step-by-step method to make authentic Mexican corn tortillas at home with Epicure's Masa Harina.

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Jayman

Yes, they do make their tortillas completely from scratch--even more than that they make the masa which is the flour used for corn tortillas. At least that's what they claim if I recall correctly. They grind the corn, go through the mixtal (sp?), lime treatment process, etc. It's a big deal. Unfortunately, they don't do it well and won't listen to those who tell them this.

http://www.all-about...-make-masa.html

The last video you show uses pre-made masa, which is not available in Thailand (please prove me wrong!).

Edited by Jimmyd
  • Like 1

Yes, they do make their tortillas completely from scratch--even more than that they make the masa which is the flour used for corn tortillas. At least that's what they claim if I recall correctly. They grind the corn, go through the mixtal (sp?), lime treatment process, etc. It's a big deal. Unfortunately, they don't do it well and won't listen to those who tell them this.

http://www.all-about...-make-masa.html

The last video you show uses pre-made masa, which is not available in Thailand (please prove me wrong!).

Didn't you start a whole thread on where to find masa in Thailand?

http://www.thaivisa....sa-in-thailand/

Also, the cool thing about the internet is that it allows us to order products from all over the world and have them shipped to our doorstep. Just because you find an item in the store here doesn't mean is was produced here. Chances are it was shipped here. When I need things I can't easily find in the store I order them.

Edited by Jayman