What'S Your Opinion?

mrclough

We've all been on here for a while now, some longer than others & some more than others.

I see lots of posts asking where can I find this? Where can I find that? etc etc

A lot of these posts are quite often from people who have been here for quite some time, more often than not longer than me.

Does anyone else think that it would be better to go take a look for yourself before asking on here?

I personally think it is a better way to do things as usually you can find what you want as well as get to know where other things are for future reference.

What's your thoughts?

Agree? Why?

Disagree? Why?

By the way, this is in no way directed at any group or individual both on or off of this or any other forum.

Edited by mrclough
  • Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With some things I agree.

Others I disagree. Often times, I may ask about something in the hope that someone else has been there, done that, can direct me to the best bet, meaning I can avoid unnecessary searching. Sometimes, like with my tea towel request a few posts down, I can't recall seeing any decent tea towels on my travels whilst visiting many shops recently to furnish a new house. I could guess, and spend a day going from makro, to wararot market, to yoke, to lotus, etc etc to find them, as I'm sure they will be somewhere, but to be honest, traffic at songkran, aversion to shopping, and just being sick of shopping around means that I would prefer to receive a hint and go direct to the right place.

However, some things, like buying a couch, really needs time looking yourself, as tastes vary wildly, and there is not really one right answer.

So, for specifics, try asking first, someone may save you time (unless you like spending time shopping of course)

For more vague, or items where taste and values may differ vastly, better to get out there and look.

• Like 1

Oh, I should add, that in the tea towel example, I've been looking out for them for some time, and have checked many places I thought would have them. I have not exhausted possible sources, but thought I'd ask. All these food threads on here, thought it was a good bet someone one know.

So I guess I'm saying, don't assume that just because people post a request here, it doesn't mean they haven't already tried to source whatever it is themselves.

Also, again to use the tea towels as an example, if I did find some for 100 baht each, and bought them, I'd have spent lots of time searching and 1200 baht for a dozen. Yet, by asking, someone may pop a post on telling me about a little known place that sells them for 50 baht each. Saving me both time and money.

I agree and disagree as well. Personally I enjoy the hunt. I walk everywhere and find some very cool things I wasn't looking for. I don't have a car or bike so I don't use the distant places such as furniture stores etc. So I am left hunting for the small Thai store that has what I'm looking for (just found a little place that has the aluminum sink/shelving unit I want to buy for my balcony kitchen. The hunt can be more fun that trying to figure out the kind of directions I get from the people I know in CM huh.png

I dont see anything wrong with someone asking questions and always willing to help.

What does bother me though is when they ask, then disappear after they get what they want.

Same for PM's, cant stand it when someone pops me off a pm and no thank you in return. Now i give incomplete info on first PM and give full details if they reply back...lol

• Like 2

Oh, I should add, that in the tea towel example, I've been looking out for them for some time, and have checked many places I thought would have them. I have not exhausted possible sources, but thought I'd ask. All these food threads on here, thought it was a good bet someone one know.

So I guess I'm saying, don't assume that just because people post a request here, it doesn't mean they haven't already tried to source whatever it is themselves.

Also, again to use the tea towels as an example, if I did find some for 100 baht each, and bought them, I'd have spent lots of time searching and 1200 baht for a dozen. Yet, by asking, someone may pop a post on telling me about a little known place that sells them for 50 baht each. Saving me both time and money.

I wasn't assuming in anyway but if people don't mention they've tried XYZ places then many people would assume they haven't looked anywhere at all.

Also, by mentioning places checked already (if any) it may save people wasting their time advising to go to places already visited and make the whole process a little quicker for those needing help.

Maybe posting something along the lines of "ok so I'm looking for ********* . I've tried XYZ places and this is the best price I've seen. Could anyone offer advice as to where it can be found cheaper / closer / more conveniently? Which ever applies.

I'm of the opinion this would make more people willing to offer advice rather than just possibly seeing another "where can I find" thread.

I'm not saying this happens a lot but I know I've been guilty of thinking that when someone asks for the simplest of things that can most likely be found in their local 7/11

I have many sleepless nights worrying about my fellow farangs wandering the streets looking for coathangers, it's like a recurring nightmare of worry, and I often wake up with a start and in a sweat.

When I fall back to sleep I then have another nightmare about becoming the kind of person who worries about people putting topics I don't like on TV. violin.gif

• Like 2

The OP asks where to get a xcvb and gets good advice. Then the OP says they are looking for a big xcvb and those places have only small ones. More good advice is given. Then the OP says they want a purple one and those laces only have red and blue.....Why bother?

• Like 1

I don't see anything wrong with asking....people don't have to answer.

The search function on TV isn't the greatest and there are some living in Chiang Mai who are simply unable to trawl the streets and stores looking for the item. If someone asks a question and you know the answer then give it or not, whatever you choose. But I think if someone does know the answer and holds back simply because they feel the person hasn't tried, then I feel sorry for them.sad.png (the one with the answer).

We don't know the status of many posters.....many I believe are virtually housebound.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I believe this topic has been dealt with extensively on this forum already.

(I wish people would use the search button).

(sorry.gif )

This should include the 'foodies' who ask questions like, where can I find the best (insert your food of choise).

There have been quite a few times when I have used both search functions to no avail. I believe if the search function was improved (as promised by George when changing over to this new format), then there would be fewer questions to be answered.

(sorry.gif )

This should include the 'foodies' who ask questions like, where can I find the best (insert your food of choise).

Can't really agree with you there.

If someone is looking for, say, Egyptian cotton sheets then there would be a certain number of places that stock them.

Asking where the best burger is can only be answered with the opinion of the person answering it. It doesn't mean it IS the best burger.

Big C, for example, would either sell or not sell the Egyptian cotton sheets.

I personally believe it is OK to ask for information.

Could be that I am misinformed about it being a forum to share on.

What I don't like is the continual barrage of the same thing . Like I am coming to Chiang Mai where should I stay with no information on preferences or amount of money they are willing to spend.

I personally believe it is OK to ask for information.

Could be that I am misinformed about it being a forum to share on.

What I don't like is the continual barrage of the same thing . Like I am coming to Chiang Mai where should I stay with no information on preferences or amount of money they are willing to spend.

Often question's are posted. Members give a myriad of answers sometimes with heated exchanges....and the OP never shows up again, either because it's a troll or the poster is simply ignorant and ungrateful for the answers.

• Like 2

(sorry.gif )

Can't really agree with you there.

If someone is looking for, say, Egyptian cotton sheets then there would be a certain number of places that stock them.

Asking where the best burger is can only be answered with the opinion of the person answering it. It doesn't mean it IS the best burger.

Big C, for example, would either sell or not sell the Egyptian cotton sheets.

Yes, but you get my point. smile.png

Egyptian cotton sheets. Never heard of those. Are they edible? unsure.png

Edited by Semper

I think some people already have time in the country or a network of friends or wives who can help them. Others may basically be on their own and genually don't know how to find things so they have an outlet here to ask for help. I have seen questions where I found the answers useful as well. Also not everyone is computer or forum literate and can operate search functions to get information. I actually decided to finally join as have seen some questions I could help with but couldn't reply. At the end of the day if you see what you think is a silly question why jump in and belittle the questioner, seems those seeking sparring partners would find more experienced adversaries in the political topics.

Personally I don’t think I could bring myself to ask a genuine question here. I see TV as an entertainment venue only. After more than 35 years, if I can’t figure it out on my own then it certainly isn’t worth asking the new guy about.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

• Like 2

I don't see anything wrong with asking....people don't have to answer. ......We don't know the status of many posters.....many I believe are virtually housebound.

...... I say ask away and no need to read or respond if you are not interested in the topic. And to those that have helped me in the past, I appreciate it greatly!

My two baht. I agree with uptheos and T_Dog. All forum members should feel free to ask the questions they need. Everyone is free to not answer if they don't want to. Skip right on by. None of us need to fight and argue with everybody on the internets.

(sorry.gif )

I've yet to resolve any query of mine using the search button. Even when I can remember reading about something previously I have been able to relocate it through search. Too many words are thrown up and highlighted in irrelevant topics.

Personally I don’t think I could bring myself to ask a genuine question here. I see TV as an entertainment venue only. After more than 35 years, if I can’t figure it out on my own then it certainly isn’t worth asking the new guy about.tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Even having been here many years no-one can know everything. There is always some new experience to be had and that is where a question to the forum might just help.

I find some of the threads about where to buy useful...I cannot get round a lot and they do give me an idea of where to get many things which saves me having to ask if I want a similar item.

Regarding hambergers and food...I go out once every couple of weeks. I do not want to waste too much time going to places just to try them out. Of course posters vary....I would not take much notice of a food thread by Orang but I would really take note note of a cultural site he recommends. Of course a food post recomended by UG is sure to be a large sized filling plate.

• Like 2

Gee whiz, VF, you're 35?

You don't look a day over 30 in your avatar.....laugh.png

PS I know you meant "here"

• Like 1

People are free to ask what the like. Noone is required to answer. Getting questions answered is usually one of the main purposes of a forum. No reason to discourage that.

Do jet a laugh at some of the questions, like 'where to buy hangers' or 'where to buy tee shirts'.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com