Manchester United

redrus

Andy Mitten: Manchester United are second best - but only to sheer genius

Andy Mitten -June 04, 2011 MEN

Not everyone in Spain is celebrating Barcelona’s victory at Wembley. I’ve stayed in Manchester all week because I’m not ready to show my face in Catalonia for a while after being so optimistic about United’s chances ahead of the final.

Plans to hang United flags around the city have been abandoned too, as has a clandestine plan to paint: ‘MUFC - Champions of Europe 2011’ on one of the city’s main thoroughfares.

In the weeks leading up to the game, I’d been a lone voice on Catalan radio stations going against the grain of a predicted straightforward victory. The other guests, usually ex-footballers and journalists, would look in sympathy as I explained that Sir Alex Ferguson wouldn’t be bitten twice.

I didn’t say United would win but that there would not be a repeat of Rome and that the game would be much tighter. I was very wrong.

Not everyone wanted Barca to win. Espanyol and Real Madrid fans of course wanted United to triumph.

Madrid feel they would have won the competition had Barca not been in it.

Goalkeeper Iker Casillas said: “I believe 100 per cent that if Madrid had been in that final, we would also have overrun Manchester United.

“I think in the semi-final between Madrid and Barcelona, that was the champions of Europe. The two best teams in Europe faced each other in that time.”

Coached by Jose Mourinho and with players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, Xabi Alonso and Casillas, Madrid are a very good side but they are not the champions of Europe and haven’t been since 2002.

They reached the semi-final this season but fell at the last 16 stage in the six years previous. Madrid have spent more on players in the last five years than any club in world football.

They are getting stronger and will be second favourites to win the Champions League next season behind Barca, just as they were this term, yet they will be a distant second and that their best chance of beating Barca ia in a one-off game as they did in the Spanish Cup final.

Barca are by a distance the best team in the world.

Ryan Giggs described the 2009 final defeat in Rome as ‘perhaps the most disappointing night of my life’. He added: “Even though Barcelona are a top team we made them look a lot better. We just didn’t turn up and I’m still bamboozled as to why.”

United had a chance to rectify that at Wembley but looked even more bamboozled.

Ferguson says he relishes the challenge presented by Barca but their perch might just be a little high, even for a man who delights in proving people wrong.

Had it not been for Barca, United would have dominated European football for the last four years but sometimes a sport is monopolised by genius.

Ask the brilliant competitiors, who fell short going up against Tiger Woods or Martina Navratilova, Michael Schumacher or Lance Armstrong.

United are seldom the bridesmaids as Leeds were in the 70s. United won the first three European Cup finals they reached but have lost the last two to Barca.

Can anyone see the outcome being different if they meet in Munich next May? Or is a Barca off-day the best we can hope for?

Casillas’s comment may have been disrespectful to a United team which has achieved far more than Real Madrid in Europe in the last half decade. But it’s also born out of the frustration that he plays for a cracking side who are unlikely to win anything because they are in the same league as the Catalans. And that may as well go for the rest of Europe if this Barca side stays together.

redrus

Casillas's comment may have been disrespectful to a United team which has achieved far more than Real Madrid in Europe in the last half decade.

Interesting read Rus. Thanks. As far as the sentence above is concerned, the "may" needs deleting.

Casillas's comment may have been disrespectful to a United team which has achieved far more than Real Madrid in Europe in the last half decade.

Interesting read Rus. Thanks. As far as the sentence above is concerned, the "may" needs deleting.

Barca have lived a charmed life with their injury list. There 's a good chance they could be knocked off their stride with a multi-month layoff for one or more of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Villa.

Seems 99% sure that SAF has pulled off a major coup by signing young Phil Jones from Blackburn.I have a close friend, former teammate and Spurs player who was convinced he would be gobbled up by Spurs who are in desperate need of defenders but seems he saw his future with fellow centre back partner Smalling . Ive watched all the England Under 21 games and this kid has a special talent.His performances with Smalling have been outstanding.If it happens and they stay with United it can only help the future national senior side also.A bonus is that he is also quite comfortable in a holding midfielder role. Seems Jonny Evans will now be surplus to requirements and will be on his way out with Wes Brown as company.

Seems 99% sure that SAF has pulled off a major coup by signing young Phil Jones from Blackburn.I have a close friend, former teammate and Spurs player who was convinced he would be gobbled up by Spurs who are in desperate need of defenders but seems he saw his future with fellow centre back partner Smalling . Ive watched all the England Under 21 games and this kid has a special talent.His performances with Smalling have been outstanding.If it happens and they stay with United it can only help the future national senior side also.A bonus is that he is also quite comfortable in a holding midfielder role. Seems Jonny Evans will now be surplus to requirements and will be on his way out with Wes Brown as company.

Rio is obviously prone to injury, but otherwise not an area i thought we were particularly in need of strengthening. Wes needs to go of course, but i hadn't myself written Evans off completely.

I guess if Jones can play further up the pitch then he can perhaps do an O'Shea type of job.

Rio is obviously prone to injury, but otherwise not an area i thought we were particularly in need of strengthening. Wes needs to go of course, but i hadn't myself written Evans off completely.

I guess if Jones can play further up the pitch then he can perhaps do an O'Shea type of job.

And how do you see this pairing linking up with Insain Bolt?

Apparently the Jamaican roadrunner wants to beep beep and bolt down the wing for Man U in his dotage. No - it's not April 1st. Heard it on BBC News Sports today.

II'd better not put a smiley, after all I'll look pretty stupid if he then proves to be a fast master of the wing.

:rolleyes:

Apparently the Jamaican roadrunner wants to beep beep and bolt down the wing for Man U in his dotage. No - it's not April 1st. Heard it on BBC News Sports today.

II'd better not put a smiley, after all I'll look pretty stupid if he then proves to be a fast master of the wing.

LOL

Well, beating Barca might take some "out of the box" thinking.

I wonder why United in particular? Any reason given?

LOL

Well, beating Barca might take some "out of the box" thinking.

I wonder why United in particular? Any reason given?

This isn't new news gents, Bolt's been on about this now for a couple of years now, since he first met some United players and deemed himself a red. It does seem hard to believe but, has stated that upon hanging his track shoes, he will don footy boots, train with the lads and see how he gets on...

Very hard to believe that he could swap sports, the running is obviously fine but, stick a ball at your feet at the same time.....;-)

redrus

Be interesting to see what the rebel ManU supporters wear when Norwich come to town.

Hmmmmm, sorry pal, but we were playing in Green and Gold a long time before they were.....!!!!!

redrus

by Spurs who are in desperate need of defenders

Talking sh*t again Sparks :o

Goals against for Spurs this season don't lie,do they ? Sensitive little soul aren't you ? I see Harry is up for another bid for Rio Ferdinand,in his own words.I told you that a year ago but of course you knew better.

Be interesting to see what the rebel ManU supporters wear when Norwich come to town.

Hmmmmm, sorry pal, but we were playing in Green and Gold a long time before they were.....!!!!!

redrus

According to this website, they never actually played in gold and green as Manchester United, only when they were called Newton Heath up to 1902 when Manchester United was formed.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_United/Manchester_United.htm

The rumor that most scares me in football is that Qatar about to buy Man U.

The latest rumor is that they have paid off a 250m loan for Man U which has freed up a lot of cash on their balance. Hence the big spending spree going on - Ashley Young, De Gea, Jones and Sneijder alone would cost 90m or so.

The reason the rumor scares non-Man U supporters is that if Qatar did buy the club they would almost certainly pay off all the existing debt. This would free up some additional 70m of cash each year for the club to be able to invest in the team. On that basis they could probably build a team that would eventually overtake Barcelona and would be virtually unbeatable in the Premiership. Not a very pleasant thought.

The rumor that most scares me in football is that Qatar about to buy Man U.

The latest rumor is that they have paid off a 250m loan for Man U which has freed up a lot of cash on their balance. Hence the big spending spree going on - Ashley Young, De Gea, Jones and Sneijder alone would cost 90m or so.

The reason the rumor scares non-Man U supporters is that if Qatar did buy the club they would almost certainly pay off all the existing debt. This would free up some additional 70m of cash each year for the club to be able to invest in the team. On that basis they could probably build a team that would eventually overtake Barcelona and would be virtually unbeatable in the Premiership. Not a very pleasant thought.

Agreed - football is becoming more about where to park surplus oil money than the beautiful game. Why can't these oligarchs focus on Formula 1 or Golf or Tennis or some other unwatchable sport like that :annoyed:

redrus

According to this website, they never actually played in gold and green as Manchester United, only when they were called Newton Heath up to 1902 when Manchester United was formed.

They are and always will be the same team, hence why we wear the colours as a protest..... :whistling:

redrus

redrus

http://www.historica...ster_United.htm

They are and always will be the same team, hence why we wear the colours as a protest..... :whistling:

redrus

aND i JUST THOUGHT YOU NORTHERN MONKEYS HAD NO DRESS SENSE....

sorry for shouting but i'm pissed.....

redrus

redrus

So Manchester United Football Club have never played in Green and Gold? only Newton Heath, thats all I asked?

Ashley Ashyley!

Jones

Modric

Two very good signings for us,good young English players who will add to the squad,looks like Modric has burnt his bridges as regards to joining United so expect another South American forward soon enough ;)

Not bad eh folks for a club that has not got any money!!!

Very quiet in the council house at the moment :D

As i said before Mr Bo..........Newton heath is where?

We was there before ya! ;) We are the first side to hail from Manchester FACT! your just a sh#t side from Gorton

Anyway it is still bloody quiet in the wastelands!! is it not?

Very quiet in the council house at the moment :D

Are you talking about the so called "council house" that is in Manchester? You can only dream that one day you might be located in Manchester. ;)

They have the soulless hell that is Salford Quays....need somewhere to house upwardly mobile social misfits I suppose. laugh.gif

So what's the analysis of where Ashley fits in and who's nose is slightly less likely to be in the starting line up now. Straight replacement for Giggsy or is it more complicated than that.

Looks like another sound economical buy from SAF (although I appreciate a lot of it is in the wage offer too). Puts some of the Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool hysterics into perspective.

So what's the analysis of where Ashley fits in and who's nose is slightly less likely to be in the starting line up now. Straight replacement for Giggsy or is it more complicated than that.

Looks like another sound economical buy from SAF (although I appreciate a lot of it is in the wage offer too). Puts some of the Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool hysterics into perspective.

I think his performances for Villa and England have made him an automatic replacement for Nani not Giggs!

Great addition to the squad,looks like another one today as well in De Gea :) at the moment i think Fergie is expecting a big season from Fletcher,who unfortunately missed a few months of the run in,would still like to see a creative midfielder like Sneijder or Nasri join us, all though i fear his plans for another striker could leave the door open for Rooney to start dropping into midfield more often and take on this roll.