Dual Citizenship.. Can I Depart From Thailand With My Thai Passport, If Arrived With Swedish?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that info. It was actually what prompted my question. We live in Mandurah WA and apparently the Embassy staff only make it here every 2 years. That's why we were looking at the possibility of doing it in Thailand. It took the Embassy 4 months to answer our initial enquiry.

OK - to obtain the passport in Thailand your wife must have a valid National ID Card - more info at:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/1415/21479-Requirements-for-the-Ordinary-e-Passports-Applicat.html

• 4 months later...

...Maybe go to my local Immigration office and see if they could provide any extra support for if I go back. Think I would be asking for more trouble than it's worth? Otherwise I will just catch a cheap flight to keep things simple.

The immigration office cannot help you with this. Do as advised and leave Thailand by air on your Canadian passport, enter Thailand on your return on your Thai passport, and thenceforth always use your Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand and enter and leave other countries where this is an advantage, use your Canadian passport to enter and leave all other countries.

Just got back from Singapore, worked like a charm, thanks to everybody for their advice.

Doesn't that mean you will have an overstay from Singapore technically?? Though, I appreciate you left Singapore, can you in the future just show them your Thai passport and that would be satisfactory enough??

Why would he have an overstay in Singapore? You just use the same passport for entry and exit each time. You can change in the air and arrive using another passport - you just do not change passport for exit from the one you entered with.

Why would he have an overstay in Singapore? You just use the same passport for entry and exit each time. You can change in the air and arrive using another passport - you just do not change passport for exit from the one you entered with.

I thought the point was to cancel the visa in his/her canadian passport? So if I got this right, leave Thailand on the Canadian passport to cancel the visa, then enter Singapore on the Thai Passport, then leave Singapore on the Thai passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport???

He can use either passport for Singapore but it would not make him overstay if he leaves using the same passport.

Ok, I understand you, and then immigration at Suvhannabhummi should not get funny if he doesn't have a departure card or stamp for his Thai passport, is that correct?

Thanks for your advice

They do not check departure stamps at airport - what they miss is the arrival card which a Thai fills out on departure and presents the other half for entry. But if questioned a supervisor will allow entry without and if you use the new automated system do not believe it is even needed.

They do not check departure stamps at airport - what they miss is the arrival card which a Thai fills out on departure and presents the other half for entry. But if questioned a supervisor will allow entry without and if you use the new automated system do not believe it is even needed.

OK thanks

I go through the autochannel all the time. Some young person (not an immigration officer) takes the arrival or departure form without even glancing at it, before you go through the gate.

Point is, if you are using a passport other than your Thai one to exit the country, you won't have the exit stamp or the departure card, the guy had some problems with immigration at the Cambodian Border and was told by them to go back to Canada and get the passport from them then return to Thailand.

I have heard of Thai people who have been out of the country for sometime not wanting to use their Thai passports because of the way they are treated at the airport.

To sum things up I think things are getting easier at Suvhannbhummi but there is a possibility of things not going too well.

I guess eventually it will become more excepted but it's a kind of pain in the meanwhile

I go through the autochannel all the time. Some young person (not an immigration officer) takes the arrival or departure form without even glancing at it, before you go through the gate.

Point is, if you are using a passport other than your Thai one to exit the country, you won't have the exit stamp or the departure card, the guy had some problems with immigration at the Cambodian Border and was told by them to go back to Canada and get the passport from them then return to Thailand.

I have heard of Thai people who have been out of the country for sometime not wanting to use their Thai passports because of the way they are treated at the airport.

To sum things up I think things are getting easier at Suvhannbhummi but there is a possibility of things not going too well.

I guess eventually it will become more excepted but it's a kind of pain in the meanwhile

I travel in and out of Thailand about a dozen times per year entering and exiting each time on my Thai passport.

- As already said, unless you are doing a land crossing, immigration officals don't check for stamps, as many countries don't stamp travellers

- Land borders is somewhat different, crossing between neighbouring countries requires all stamps in place, to make sure essentially peope have done their 'visa run' correctly.

- Thai's not being treated well at the airport is a strange one, entering Thailand on a Thai passport is generally the fastest and easist method.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I was wondering for more up to date information, as I was just informed by a Visa Agency that will be more than 20,000THB for the maximum fee and imprisonment. I am dual Thai/British and got my Thai ID and passport renewed a year ago. I now am overdue on my British passport. I would like to know what the penalty is please and more advice. Also if you know of any good, decent agencies that can assist me, I would most appreciate any help and advice I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by halfpint