Thailand Braces For Tropical Storm 'Kai-Tak'

webfact

tlansford

Sorry to many posts yada yada

No, that's not what he basically said, what he stated was " Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns". Which to me implies that there was nothing to be done at that point do to the dangerous condition. Which it was not. It was through incompetence and mismanagement within this administration that the 2011 floods were so disastrous.

In a previous post I said I didn't know about the high water levels under Abhisit. Since it seems so important is there any evidence for this?

It was widely reported last year...reservoirs were very full in north, and then when the rain came they could not increase the outflow....HOWEVER reservoir levels were actually higher in May 2012 than in May 2011....

Thanks for that.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really do not have a clue what I am looking at except a bunch of meat thermometers stuck into to Thailand. One of those great sites that once translated changes into Thai - exactly the same. Do see the Nasa symbol in the corner though for whatever that's worth. What I see in the meat thermometers does not seem to set a pattern with the reds whites greens and blues of the land mass.

• Like 1

There seems to be some short memories around here including mine.Could someone please enlighten me and tell me what date did the present administration take the reins after the election and it is not the day of the election.

From memory ... Yingluck was elected PM on August 3, and government was officially formed on August 11.

Thanks very much for that.I had an idea it was around then but could not remember the exact dates.Maybe people should take a step back and not try to blame one side of politics or the other.There were faults in many areas of society and lets not forget that it was described as very much higher than average rainfall that started the ball rolling.The democrat led coalition was still sailing the ship when the flooding started in the north and when the present coalition took over,there was very little they could do to stem the flow.Not to say that they never made mistakes because they did and weren't helped by citizens interfering with some of the things that were tried. Don't forget the B M A who appeared to be more concerned with thier own area than the overall situation.There is more to it than that but people should be able to see the blame lays in many areas not just in one,especially one starting with " T ". Edited by Ron19
  • Like 1

tlansford

No, that's not what he basically said, what he stated was " Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns". Which to me implies that there was nothing to be done at that point do to the dangerous condition. Which it was not. It was through incompetence and mismanagement within this administration that the 2011 floods were so disastrous.

In a previous post I said I didn't know about the high water levels under Abhisit. Since it seems so important is there any evidence for this?

It was widely reported last year...reservoirs were very full in north, and then when the rain came they could not increase the outflow....HOWEVER reservoir levels were actually higher in May 2012 than in May 2011....

Yes that is correct but I think you would find that has changed and now the situation has been reversed.

tlansford

Oops, ... Higher in May 2012 than last May... What does that mean? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee

Yes, aren't we lucky that AV's government made so much progress in flood prevention after the 2010 floods. Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns.

Typically red logic, its the dems fault because they made the coup to illegally remove Thaksin, murdered redshirts peacefull protestors, dressed the military as blackshirts, burnt Bangkok buildings to blame the reds, ordered the judicial system to convict Thaksin, caused the flood and subvert the working of the PTP government to enact their policies against the mandate of the vast majority of Thai people. It will be interesting to see who they will blame now

• Like 1

Yes, aren't we lucky that AV's government made so much progress in flood prevention after the 2010 floods. Also it was good of them to let dam levels reach dangerously high levels just before handing over the reigns.

What 2010 floods?

Also it was coalition partner Barnhan Silpa Archas party that was in charge of the Dams...... and they still are blink.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Thailand_floods

http://www.thaivisa....ter-management/

Have a read Mr Bird Poo.

Perhaps you should read the link before you post.

What is supposed to be the relevant point in the link you posted which might address birdpooguava's statement?

And also read the rules regarding the use of poster names while you are at it.

Science Minister: Floods caused by inefficient water management

Sorry you missed the headline. As for his assertion that the floods were caused by AVs administrations handing over the reigns with full damns thus causing the floods and almost 900 deaths, ridiculous. Oh and Birdpooguave i apologise for changing your name but in all fairness i did add "Mr".

"Showing video clips and graphics, Pracha Promnok (Justice Minister) alleged that dams’ situations when the House was dissolved this year were similar to last year and the year before last. "Why different approach of water management?" Pracha asked Abhisit.

In other words, Pracha alleged that the Democrat government knew it was going to lose the July 3 election and knew about coming storms, so it let the dams be filled up to sabotage the Yingluck administration." The Nation

Really do not have a clue what I am looking at except a bunch of meat thermometers stuck into to Thailand. One of those great sites that once translated changes into Thai - exactly the same. Do see the Nasa symbol in the corner though for whatever that's worth. What I see in the meat thermometers does not seem to set a pattern with the reds whites greens and blues of the land mass.

The round dials show the water levels in various dams. Orange is low, Green is OK and Red is dangerously full. So, the dams in the west and south are toward the top of the green level, the dams in the north are less than 1/2 way into the green and the dams in the north-east are mostly in the orange.

Just looking at the dams, we're due for flooding in the south & west. Northern and central Thailand should be OK and we can expect drought in the north-east! blink.png

• Like 1

<snip for brevity>

I still am not over the fantastic idea of using boat propellors to turn back the flow of water during last year's flood ordered by the government.

Science Minister Plodprasop's brilliant-idea was rather, to use the propellers to push the river waters more-rapidly down-river towards the sea, rather than trying to hold them back.

So no King Canute Award there. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1